All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Eating goldfish
PostPosted: May 18th, '16, 00:43 

Are you human?: Yes
Hey Batty,

I think what is confusing U in part, is that many people keep goldfish as pets and not food, and won't eat them because they are cared for like family. I know this concept doesn't make sense to everyone, so think of it like eating your sibling, child, or parent, or another person that reminds you of any one or more of these family members. That is why they wont eat them, it feels akin to cannibalism, which the vast majority of people on the planet have a sever aversion to (which is considered both ethically proper and good sense in avoidance of communicable diseases). This stands true for any pet or sanctified animal or otherwise taboo-to-eat critter, which is generally main stream food somewhere else or even locally even as it it also taboo (cats, dogs, cows, rabbits, frogs, fish, birds such as chickens and ducks, and many many more, etc.)
This is something to keep in mind regarding being sensitive to certain customer types when intending to sell; while it's really not unreasonable (nor untraditional if doing so is economical) to eat some of Ur wares, many people will find it off-putting enough to not buy from U and may see you eating your fish to mean that Ur stocks are considerably inferior or they may refuse to buy from you simply on moral grounds (which will probably be the vast majority of people coming to U to buy), unless Ur selling to people intending to only eat the fish.

Ive tried to word this as non-condescendingly as i can [absolutely no condescension meant], and I see nothing wrong with the approach. For example, I personally adore rats, and have a few. I also some day want to have a snake - most of which eat mice and rats, if not lizards or other snakes. Rats are wonderful pets to me... so, someone would think I'd never be able to feed a rat, to something - however, there are very unfriendly rats not suited to living the tame and caged life born in litters, and rats are social animals with essential wild educations... releasing a rat outdoors will ensure a slow and painful death for it nearly every time of either starvation or from fights with wild rats that lead to lethal wounds, and if not those then a predator caught it and ate it if it didn't freeze to death or die of heatstroke with not quite knowing how to pick out somewhere to live in a not-controlled environment, unless it got lucky and scored a store in which case it'll die slowly from poison or get snapped in a trap and probably not by the head and it'll starve there while enduring some part of it's body crushed for a long time that it might try and would almost certainly fail at chewing through to release itself - there simply just aren't any humane release options except in some semi controlled wildlife reserve that may be able to provide it an education and then release it over time, if they have the space and the rat is even a local wild species, which it usually is not so they'd just put it down, unless they're willing to feed it for the time it takes to find it a home which they wont do if the animal is feisty in bad ways for finding a willing adoptive home... I'd rather euthanize it in the home it knows where it smells its family... and feed it to a snake or cat while treating it like a cat toy so the predator eats it readily - sounds really off putting for many out there, but end of the day, it's the kindest choice choice for the rat, its dead before it's being flopped around (which seems an indignity, until the predator wont eat it because its not moving and I'm not feeding an animal i care about live to a predator cause i can't handle the emotionally stress... and not eating it as an even bigger indignity to its sacrifice than flopping it around), and flopping it around is the right thing to do by the snake/cat because this way they want to eat it and get the full satisfaction of a seemingly properly earned meal - and this overall approach is a green choice as well. And if everyone was adverse to the difficult aspects of breeding a species, there'd be no breeding and so in this case there'd be no rats which make great pets, pet food, and human food, so losing them would be a real shame.
Most people would really not take well to this, but the rats at pet stores are like the feeder tank of fish; they weren't up to standards, sometimes behaviorally, sometimes because their spots aren't in the right spot. If these animals weren't fed away, we'd either have a released rat carcass plague, or no ability to breed for quality and standards. People tend to avert their awareness from such matters because they don't want to feel the pains inherent in the system, and also avert their awareness from those who don't find value in bonding with something that they have never viewed as anything but food (even as they stand there eating a cow, cat, dog, rabbit, etc., at the repulsion of another). And they view anyone who can do otherwise... poorly. Sensibilities to keep in mind when selling and to avoid rubbing up against if sales are to be good.
Point is, there can often be a happy medium between family-member/fellow-designation and food-designation for an animal or species, and for each person this might be quite different within the wide range of condition-of-matters within the wide range of point-of-views out there.

Anyway, enough off-topic, just giving U another perspective to be aware of, and another view to have at your disposal, if U really do intent to sell. Being sensitive to these matters, even if U don't understand (just approaching it like U have their family member up for adoption to them for those looking for a pet will serve U well), can go a long way to treating customers in ways that they may better gravitate to, which may make or break good business... though i don't know Ur area nor who U intend to market to [customs and such]... nor if U might have people protest Ur approach with an actual protest, depending on where U are.

Outside of that, such as if someone does not have these aversions, then there's the typical considerations of food animal production already well discussed :) .

Also, two thumbs up on raising pretty fish for food (actually just what i was looking up) - why not? Who wouldn't want to if the choice is economical, especially with the fish being raised at home? ;)

Anyway, good luck!

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 20th, '16, 09:17 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: If the temps >-40
Fry me up a basket...ate them by the bowl on a merchant ship....

PostPosted: May 20th, '16, 09:35 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: maybe
wow morgan, thats a very long post considering batty willl never read it.

i think it more comes down to:
carp taste like shit.
there is stigma against eating goldfish - only drunk american uni students do it.
they have lots of small bones.
we are talking about white people and white people generally dont eat whole dried fish like asians do, so you wont even get a small snack out of your average goldfish with much, much gutting and other preparation.

rather than goldfish are like family..... especially considering most people flush dead goldfish down the toilet or just fling them into the compost....

PostPosted: May 20th, '16, 10:14 
A posting God
A posting God

Comets I don't care much about, they are just gold looking carp (and some of mine are 12' after 3 years) but I like the fancy goldfish, they seem friendlier, have a lot more character in their markings, body shape and so on.

Wouldn't see me eating any of them though. Chickens didn't even want to touch a dead comet.

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: May 20th, '16, 11:25 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: maybe
yea the best i have seen with the dead goldfish i have thrown on the ground is that the neighbours cat will eat the head, but wont touch the body.

my dog wont touch them.

PostPosted: May 20th, '16, 19:12 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: If the temps >-40
LazyK wrote:
Fry me up a basket...ate them by the bowl on a merchant ship....

Just to clarify these are the ones I eat...

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 31.48 KiB | Viewed 2178 times ]
PostPosted: May 24th, '16, 03:49 

Yavimaya wrote:
wow morgan, thats a very long post considering batty willl never read it.

i think it more comes down to:
carp taste like shit.
there is stigma against eating goldfish - only drunk american uni students do it.
they have lots of small bones.
we are talking about white people and white people generally dont eat whole dried fish like asians do, so you wont even get a small snack out of your average goldfish with much, much gutting and other preparation.

rather than goldfish are like family..... especially considering most people flush dead goldfish down the toilet or just fling them into the compost....

Your points and the others all after yours are all good to know. But the stuff i said still stands true for some people and permeates every type of livestock and homesteading practice, so i still stand by the validity of my statements.

So, animals wont eat goldfish... are they poisonous? Or just an unpleasant crunchy?