All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sep 30th, '13, 14:40 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
In the US I was always told to skin a catfish. Here in Thailand they seem to laugh at the idea. On the internet, google, I get all sorts of answers.

What is best? To skin or to cook and eat the skin? Is it healthy to eat the skin? Does it effect the taste.

Thank you, Johnra

Profile Personal album  
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 30th, '13, 15:03 

Are you human?: YES
This is kind of like the blind leading the blind but my plan for when mine get large enough is to fillet the larger ones to grill (skin on) and skin the smaller ones (1-2 lbs) to fry.

It would be interesting to ask them to show you how they do it. Learn something new that way.

PostPosted: Oct 2nd, '13, 22:53 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Try google.com. Use the name pladuk or pla duk instead of catfish. Pladuk is Thai for catfish. Search for Thai recepies. I was told tonight that Thai people do not skin any fish. They gut the fish. Remove gills and wash well with plain water. Then cook. I was told just to cut slits in the fish and stuff with garlic, chillies, whatever and to use wooden screwers and then Bar-B-Q. I am not a cook so I will have to learn about the screwer bit. I guess maybe to hold it qll together.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Oct 3rd, '13, 01:44 

Thanks Johnra I'll check it out. I've seen slits used to keep the fish from having a mushy texture after frying (lets the oil get in there). I think I've actually had catfish fried in oil and prepared skin on in Missouri or Arkansas but it's been 40 years. Anyway there are lots of options and doesn't sound like we'll have any problems coming up with a good way to cook them.

Cheers

PostPosted: Oct 3rd, '13, 02:12 

Looks like catfish might also be called Pla dook? I watched a really interesting video on making stir fried catfish with chili (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elW9rPo6v8k) and one of the things that they did was remove the skin of the catfish (which had already been roast). The reason they gave was that it would cause splashing when fried in oil.

A serious side effect of watching the video is that I now how to go find something to eat :lol: