All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '15, 03:33 

Are you human?: YES
I'm not raising trout but I can see that a lot of people are so I thought I'd share one of my favourite ways of cooking it. My friends always ask for this when they come over for summer BBQs and we even had a huge one for thanksgiving one year. A cold beer or glass of dry citrus/smokey/ or stonefruit leaning white would be all you need to make this a really impressive meal.

This recipe works best with a large piece of fish instead of little steaks or separate fillet pieces but use the amount of fish that is appropriate for your family or guests and scale the recipe accordingly of course.

As follows:

Ingredients

1 whole filet (that's a side not a piece like they label it in the grocery store)
or
1 whole trout cleaned (see note above)
tinfoil
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp sweet or smokey (not spicy) paprika
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 lemon, zest and then cut to wedges and reserve
1 bunch spring onions, cleaned and cut to ~ 3" lengths
1 small bunch parsley, washed with stems cut off and reserved
1 large handful of seedless red grapes, whole
1 large handful black olives, whole and pitted (not the caned sliced kind)
3-5 tbsp neutral flavoured oil (vegetable, rapeseed or grapeseed or light olive are all great options)

Method

1. Gather your ingredients and prepare your fish (cleaned, scaled, deboned if you like) if it hasn't been done already and set aside.

2. Lay out two layers of tinfoil big enough to wrap your your fish in. You may need a top and bottom double sheet to cover a large fish and then roll and crimp the sides together later.

3. Mix your dry spices (cumin, salt, ginger, pepper, paprika, cinnamon) and add the lemon zest. Rub it all over the fish; skin, head, inside cavity, all the nooks and crannies.

4. Toss the spring onions, parsley stems, and grapes with the oil in a small bowl and sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper if you would like.

5. Put some of the mixture on the tinfoil, then the spiced fish. You can then pack some of the mix into the body cavity if that applies, then the rest of it on top of the fish.

6. Seal up your tinfoil and start the bbq. You can also use your oven of course. You'll be looking for medium heat, about 350-375.

7. When it's all hot toss in your fish packet and get ready to hear some sizzling and popping as everything gets really tasty. I usually unwrap a corker and give it a check at 10-15 min. but use your best judgment as it relates to the size of your fish. Careful taking a peek because there will be a lot of steam and a lot of juices.

The flesh should be opaque, flake easily and when you press a finger to it it should spring back and not leave a dent.

8. Pull that sucker off the heat and let it rest while you get your serving plate, parsley and lemon wedges together.

I like to plate my fish, then give the onion pieces etc a little toss and pile it around or cascading overtop for impact and easy serving and garnish with the parsley and lemon.

9. Enjoy!

Suggested Pairings:

-Couscous, quinoa, or rice (I add chopped apricots/dates, and slivered almonds, sometimes a little kale/parsley)

-Sauteed cucumber with mint, cream and salt and pepper (I know it sounds weird but it's delish)

-Sauteed kale or bitter greens with sliced garlic

-Roasted potatoes with lemon and paprika

-Lightly dressed tomato salads

-Roasted, bbq or pickled mushrooms

-Grilled salads, wedge that head of lettuce and grill it up for extra flavour

I really hope some of you give this a try and let me know how it goes. Have fun!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '15, 08:06 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: yes
Sounds tasty.

:eat:

http://www.FishFarmers.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/fisharmers?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
http://hedgerowfarm.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/HedgerowFarmVictoria/

PostPosted: Sep 24th, '15, 13:32 

Are you human?: YES
Thanks for all the Pairing ideas as well, as that usually becomes the problematic question... "and what else...?"