All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Oct 3rd, '17, 23:01 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Kiara98 wrote:
Wow, you just don't understand the hurt that guns and violence and racism do!
Came here for the strawberries, in shock now.

-K98

Nope, guess it wasn't tongue in cheek... I love it when someone completely ignores the context of a conversation but then I'm the bad guy when they are the ones who changed the subject... so it's not just my country who has problems with people being too sensitive nowadays I guess...

I will admit that after having to look up why anyone would take offense to "coon" and how it tied to aboriginals I did have the thought cross my mind that I wonder if the term 'coon hound' came from slavery days and the slave owners using bloodhounds to track slaves trying to escape? I always assumed it was just a hunting dog used for hunting raccoons, but now that I've been called a racist on a web forum it makes me come up with these types of questions I've never considered before... now we're getting back to the reason why I don't care if I hurt someones feelings by something I say... because I would have never thought of this if I hadn't been forced to look up how 'coon' and aboriginals went together... so who is really the racist, the person who was taken out of context, or the person who made them go look it up and plant those thoughts in the first place. I'll digress, we're all racist I guess... even those who think they are better than everyone else because they call others out for reasons they weren't aware of. So I'll leave with this... I'm not racist - I hate everyone equally no matter what their race... I'm humanist I guess.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '17, 00:06 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Sleepe wrote:
Sorry Darren, SWC is already taken. Rob's going to have to stick with the NOT NFT tubes a while longer. :lol:

I'm OK with just referring to them as NOT NFT tubes Sleepe... as long as everyone reads that thread they'll know what I'm talking about =)

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '17, 00:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

dlf_perth wrote:
@Rininger I put 3 in the "NOT NFT" tubes =)

They would be the SWC tube's Rob....

Darren I think Sleepe has overruled the SWC's... going strictly by post count since Sleepe is 2x the poster that you are... besides I thought we established SWC meant there was water standing just not as deep as DWC, I don't have standing water, but I'm using round tubes which aren't a channel, so I'm still in no-man's land... so NOT NFT describes it best.

I'm still trying to figure out if the 'why Kylie Minogue in a thong boosted stateside ratings' was a jab or not... I didn't see it so I might have missed something.

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '17, 00:16 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Save the NOT NFT. Though recently identified, it is already endangered....

Adam

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '17, 00:26 
Legend Member
Legend Member

BroHay wrote:
Save the NOT NFT. Though recently identified, it is already endangered....

Adam

I wonder if I can get grant money to save it from the endangered species list? hmm...

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '17, 07:28 
A posting God
A posting God

Think you'll find number of posts has nothing to do with it, Darren is a much more helpful person than I am. :)

Apparently someone (if I had to take a guess UVI) suggested DWC as greater than 10". Surprisingly someone found you could grow esp lettuce in 8-10' of water (how amazing) and has named it SWC.

Rob, if you strap the plants and net pots in and spin your round tubes at a rate to spread the water over the inside of the tube we can drop the NOT. :lol:

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '17, 07:31 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: mostly
>> Darren I think Sleepe has overruled the SWC's

yep, and I forgot your method is also the shallow NOT backed up flow that is not NFT, nor DWC, nor SWC.
guess we are back to DSWPT...... (doing something with PVC tube)

the Kylie Minogue reference is a classic example of how one thing gets translated to another.....
Kylie riding a giant flip flop just wouldn't have cut it.... sort of a 'had to be there' type thing.
classic example of how the media can utilise local terms of reference for promotion purposes.
Kylie in a thong meant a lot different thing to people in the US than it did to people in Australia.
Needless to say the US & Canadian media thought they had a scoop at the time.

back to the topic...
this is a classic DWC (0.3m deep, 12") setup with net baskets filled with media and sitting with an air gap (water at base of basket with some clay ball wicking). They dont seem to mind that and you can get quite a few plants in this way (I only have 8 here but the tub DWC takes 14 plants).

and the strawberries doing OK in the cooler temps and mostly shade, some sun.
just tacked onto the back of one of my media beds.

Attachment:
20171001_Strawberries2.JPG
20171001_Strawberries2.JPG [ 92.07 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

Attachment:
20171001_Strawberries3.JPG
20171001_Strawberries3.JPG [ 74.7 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '17, 09:57 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I found the last remaining mouse, and vengeance will be mine!

I am bound to get one for myself this year.

Going to put an electrified fence around a similar setup and set it to incinerate.

Adam

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '17, 18:02 
Legend Member
Legend Member

darn it! That means my raft bed is SWC not DWC... I only used 2x10 lumber, and it's not completely full so I don't have 10" of water there either... My world is collapsing... I am such a failure!

My tomatoes grew pretty amazing in my SWC this summer though, I've cut those ones out now to open the raft bed back up for greens now that it is cooling down. I did find that the tomato root ball was so huge it was backing up crud in the bed. I still have tomato and pepper plants growing in my gravel bed and my lava rock bed that are still putting out new growth (I cut them WAY back because they had taken over, they are slowly moving towards taking over again, but still lots of new buds on them whereas my garden tomatoes are probably done budding now, but still have a lot of green tomatoes to ripen yet).

I noticed there was a runner on one of my strawberry plants yesterday that are still sitting in pots, so I set the runner up on the gravel bed and put a few small stones on top to hold it in place. It's not submerged in water, but hoping it will root to reach the water.

PostPosted: Oct 5th, '17, 16:49 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
It will

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 11:22 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Not before 8am
OMFG!... How did I miss this thread?... Some absolute gold right here!... :toothy7:

Keep up the good work Darren, R85 and BroHay... :clap:

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 18:22 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I did finally split one of my strawberry plants up out of the 8" pot two nights ago. It broke up in to 3 or 4 plants so I put one in NOT-NFT, one in NOT-DWC (SWC) and one in my hydroton bed. I still have another 8" pot that I need to split up, but it has a couple of runners on it that I'm trying to get to root in my gravel bed before I break it up. Still no growth from the june bearing variety that I planted as roots... (still trying to find out how strawberry plants know when it is june... if anyone knows let me know... also I'm wondering if in Australia they are better known as December bearing or something else?)