All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '19, 03:18 

Are you human?: YES
Genuinely curious, here. I have been in aquaponics since around 2012-ish. I was terrible at aquaponics until about 2015; nowadays I can say I am pretty savvy. I did my MS in viability assessments and I work doing freelance and consultation for AP systems. Now, I had done some great work, but the work isn't consistent enough to make it a career, and a lot of times I work in a deficit. In order to keep my dream alive of turning AP into a career, I go to conferences and such to stay relevant. I pay for this out of pocket as a waiter, which is also on a deficit alongside paying for my systems and upkeep, etc. What I would like to know is how people fund their hobby? This might be the first time I will be in trouble, because I want to present my work, but affording it is going to be difficult. Any suggestions? How do you all do it?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '19, 10:46 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: UM..Maybe
ScurvyDog wrote:
Genuinely curious, here. ........... Any suggestions? How do you all do it?

How do I afford my hobby? Real simple. I converted to sandponics/iAVs after fighting with gravel based FD for 2 years.

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '19, 13:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
I turned it into a business selling systems. Let me build anything I wanted to then.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '19, 06:34 

Are you human?: YES
earthbound wrote:
I turned it into a business selling systems. Let me build anything I wanted to then.

How did you get that under way? I have a hard time with this, albeit it is something I want to do. A lot of times it is tailoring expectations or just reaching out to the right market. I made a few kickass systems, but not a consistent clientele.

PostPosted: Nov 4th, '19, 11:32 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
I started selling systems back in 2007, it was a slow start. Started first with a book/dvd/cdrom package before selling online, then invested money from that into hardware and making systems for general public. Took many years before I started making ant money for myself, I'd remortgaged my house to live and everything went back into the business.

For me I think there were a few key factors in the success, being early, one of the first to start promoting AP widely, that was back in the day when you couldn't buy a book on the subject and there was only really one website on AP in the world. Simplifying AP and making it something people could comprehend easily, our systems were sold with one laminated sheet of golden rules for operation. Marketing, pushing through tv, online, garden shows, etc, etc. Bloody hard work, sticking to the objectives and constantly working it. Early adopters were what got us going, it's harder now as that peak has dropped off now but there's still opportunities for AP businesses, you just have to have a niche and good marketing plan.

Here's a link to some early info when I started.. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=19700

Profile Personal album