All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Dec 31st, '20, 13:22 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: not before coffee
Hello everyone... it's been a while... probably at least since 2013 when a blizzard collapsed my greenhouse and fledgling aquaponics system. I retired 2 year ago after illness and now that i am better and have some time... a young man's fancy turns toward dreams of aquaponics... again. Perhaps this time i can find a mistress who is not still so fickle?

I see some familiar old names here, so not everyone has bit the aquaponics dust (That would be mist?) and maybe some of you have huge commercial systems by now. Anyone made the big time? livin' the aquaponics dream?

I hope to start over. I just had my backyard cleared of a monster tree that ate all the light. There is a horse barn under that tree (that no longer exists) that is in full sunlight now, and i have the urge to rip the roof off and build a new greenhouse on top... yes, on top. I don't know why, just seems like the thing to do.

Anyway.. i hope you all are well and wouldn't mind hearing some stories of encouragement, that some of you have now retired from your profits in Aquaponics and dabble just to have something to do...

Peace.

Poppa :headbang:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '21, 04:37 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Joined: Jan 22nd, '07, 14:02 wow!.I wish I knew about aquaponics back then.

Did you ever have a members system thread?

PostPosted: Jan 4th, '21, 21:38 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I've been interested in aquaponics before it was ever called aquaponics, before there was a real internet even. It's been so long now, that i can't even remember what it was called. I went to school for marine biology back in 1981 and aquaculture was my dream (lobsters). Ah well, it's been a fun ride.

No, i did have a thread but it was mostly an intro and that was about it. I mostly responded to others posts. This time, now that i am retired, i hope to have the time to do it up right.

i still believe this can work successfully without compromising ones commitment to the earth and without breaking the bank.

PostPosted: Jan 5th, '21, 20:38 

Are you human?: Yes
Poppa you're obviously better experienced than us nubies. I started out this last year because we live in a location where surface water is non-existent and plant life is very sparsely scattered. Growing a plant in the ground is quite difficult so I thought aquaponics might be the answer.

So far our level of success has been quite poor. The fish are doing fine but we've not mastered this veggie growing thing. We've struggled with maintaining water quality but perhaps we're slowly getting a grip on it :)

PostPosted: Jan 8th, '21, 13:50 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

the whole water quality/nutrient this is a bit of an art. Personally i thing people are better off starting with traditional growing in soil and using the water for ... well, watering. certainly easier starting off with one new thing at a time. The people who have been at it for a while have it down and it's easier for them. I started with separate systems, plants and fish and that worked for me.