All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 16th, '17, 08:11 

Are you human?: YES
So this is my first time posting here, I've read the rules and will do my best to learn what I can from everyone elses experience.

So I'm going to be getting into the aquaponics hobby with a single IBC tote system to keep it simple and help myself figrue it all out. So my biggest hang ups in making my setup is figuring out the whole power setup and aerator pumps. I'll be doing a simple little CV setup with the GB ontop of the FT and so far I'm planning on pumping the water up into the GB with a 291 GPH Ponics Pump submersible pump. I've done the math and with the pump height involved that pump should be able to circulate the tanks water once every hour.
My biggest hangup so far is whether I need an aerator or not and if so does anyone have any reccomendations I cannot find any information on reccomended sizes anywhere? I have a battery operated aerator for my emergency backup.
I was hoping to be able to run my system with a solar panel but im afraid I'm not going to be able to afford all the equiptment necessary. I was aiming to use a CV system to reduce power needs to run a 16W pump as to reduce the power needed so I could possibly use a 50W solar panel or maybe a 100W power supply but again as stated money is a slight issue or so I've read from other posters. I also am not the best at converting and figuring out the size battery I would need to run the pump full time but I'm guessing it would be aa bit on the expensive side but if anyone knows what any of that might cost I'd be thrilled to hear your input!
Thankyou all for your replies!

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 16th, '17, 10:25 

Edit: Thought of a simpler way to phrase my question. Which method uses the least electricity CF or F&D? In theory I felt smaller pump at 25% of the bigger pump may save energy but I'd be curious if anyone has the math to back that up? Basically my issue is I'm trying to avoid having to run a electrical service out to the area I'm building this sysrem so I'm trying to minimize power usage so that I can actually use solar power for this IBC system. If it's financially unrealistic I'd understand I'm just trying to minimize costs where I can for the mean time.

PostPosted: May 16th, '17, 17:07 

I probably should know but what's CV stand for?

PostPosted: May 16th, '17, 18:26 

Oh my bad I meant CF or constant flow stinkin typo sorry!

PostPosted: May 17th, '17, 10:40 

Bit of an update from work today: Found out a family member had a brand new 245 watt solar panel laying around they weren't going to use so long story short I now have a 245 watt panel to use for my 225 gallon tank!
I'm an electricians apprentice with a good grasp on what I'm doing to power my system and after crunching numbers in my head all day I think the panel is well large enough to operate both my pump and aerator if I need to add one. Still not sure if I'll need an aerator with stones I have no idea how to test for DO.
Based on my calculations running my system on constant flow with a 300GPH pump that's 120vAC(16watt) my average consumption of electricity would be around .38 kWH per day and with a 100W panel that could generate .5 kWh per day again I apologize if I'm a touch off it's been a long day of a lot of complex math. So in theory I'm confident a 245W panel should be plenty big enough as I have a good spot on a lower roof where I know I can get a solid 5-6 hours of sun on a good day that's average of course and in my estimations I estimated in loss due to deffecencies etc. i
My math made me come to the conclusion that I'd need atleast a 60aH battery to run both aerator(around a 5-6W system) and as I saw on other posts it seems most people recommended doubling that so honestly I'd need atleast a 100aH battery for this system to run all day and afford to miss a day or two due to cloudiness.
I will be running a receptacle from my house service to there as a back up incase of any issues with the solar stuff.
I'm new to the whole solar world so I apologize for being all over the place but I believe my calculations are correct but I'm basically asking for opinions on if I'm right or not before I got buying my battery and setting the solar end up!
My biggest hangup is the fact I can't find any good 12v DC pumps and aerators to avoid the inverter I wish to avoid using since I've read the inverters are funky and have all different kinds of setups so if anyone has any experience with inverters or 12v setups ibe thrilled to get any feedback on what I working on any and all help is appreciated!

PostPosted: May 17th, '17, 13:41 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
If I may jump in here.
I have run a system on a 250 W panel.

I think a system like you are describing can run well and you can learn a lot from doing it.

Check your 245W solar panel. There will be a data plate on the back side. Please post that info.

Running straight off the panel is not practical. You will need a charge controller, battery, and inverter with proper cabling.
My advice on batteries is "go big." What kills batteries is using them in a partial state of charge. Wherever you live, there will be clowdy days. When they rate a battery for advertisement they say it is a 100 amp hour battery. That means that if you take 100 amp hours out of it you will completely destroy it. Taking 50 amp hours out will have a negative effect on it's life. It can handle 25 amp hours removed between charges hundreds of times.

My system. http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... 18&t=15688

PostPosted: May 19th, '17, 10:06 

What size battery do you use? I'm currently hung up on the size I'll need I have a 300GPH 16 watt 120 volt pump I'll be running all day
Here's my panel info

PostPosted: May 19th, '17, 13:24 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

That panel should be mated up to a 24-volt battery.
Let's work on the battery size issue.

Let me know how much of this makes sense to you.

You want to consume 16 watts 24 hours a day.

You can change how long it works between recharging but 3 days is a normal time frame.

16 watts times 24 hours times 3 equals 1152 watt hours.

we need a battery where 1152 watt hours is roughly 25% of its capacity. So 4608-watt hours.

On a 24 volt system take 4608 divided by 24 gives 192 amp hour.

You are now shopping for two 200 amp hour 12-volt batteries. I rounded up here because we have to somewhere.

200 amp hour batteries are commonly used in golf carts as 6-volt batteries. You would need 4 of them.

Your 245-watt panel can output right at 10 amps at 24 volts. That is enough to boil away the electrolyte if you do not use a charge controller.

I would try to convince you to not use a 10 amp charge controller and use a 30 amp rated one instead. Because panels are rated at 25 degrees C. They will actually produce more at 0 degrees C. So a cold bright day where the clouds go away at solar noon and your battery is at 20 volts you could end up with 12.5 amps easily. frying your controller. A few dolars spent over sizing one component and you have a controller that will last as long as your panel. 30 amp is the next size controller that I am aware of ... a 15 or 20 would meet my criteria.

Your question about an aeration system. I don't think you need one the water draining back to the fish tank will provide it. 300 GPH is plenty of aeration.

Back to the solar issues. Will a 245-watt panel supply enough power? If you point it at the sun at solar noon the math looks like.... 245 watts for 4 hours a day equals 985-watt hours a day. we want to take out 16 times 24 equals 384 watt-hours per day. It'll work. In fact, it will recharge nearly completely from a 3-day cloudy period in one day.

PostPosted: May 19th, '17, 20:23 

Thankyou for the in depth reply! I understand the math it's a bit tricky but it all makes sense! My only question on batteries is I assume I'll be linking all 4 6 volt batteries together? Do all the 6 volt batteries need to be 200aH batteries or do I need 4 50 aH batteries sorry if this is a silly question it's the one thing that popped in my head but if I read right I believe I need 4 6 volt 200aH batteries of 2 12v 200aH batteries with a 24v 30 amp controller plus deep cycle auto charger? Luckily I've been in the electrical trade a few years so I'm getting most of this it's just solar is a new world for me I'm more used to controls side of stuff!

PostPosted: May 20th, '17, 07:20 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Batteries in series volts add and amps stay the same.
Batteries in parallel amps add and volts stay the same.

Never mix different batteries! The one with the least internal resistance will get hot.

So 2 twelve volt batteries that are rated at 200 amp hours in series is equal to 4 six volt 200 Ah batteries in series.
In my experience, 200 Ah batteries are 6-volt.

My system that I ran was with 110 Ah 12V batteries and I managed to not destroy them but there were times that I disconnected the load to get them recharged.