All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '17, 19:26 

Are you human?: yes
Hi,

I have started this thread, because I'm working on a new kind of aquaponics controlling and monitoring system with remote access and alerting. My project is based on a Raspberry Pi (called AquaShield), and my intention to create an open source solution to all the problems that I have encountered building my aquaponics setups.

My device is based on a Raspberry Pi, with 16 sensors and 8 controllable relays. It monitors all the vital functions and alerts if You needed. E.g. if the fishtank’s PH value or temperature is not optimal, or the system is running out of water, You will be the first to know. But this is only one of the many features.

This is the prototype:

My goal is to create an open source project that allows You to grow Your organic food at home easily without any difficulty. Also we are planning to create kits for home and industrial use.

To reach these goals, we want to know what would You need the most to run Your aquaponics setup, so please help our work with completing this survey (it will take roughly 10 minutes):

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VDWRMJR

Please share Your thought about the project, hope You will like it! :D

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '17, 04:13 

Are you human?: YES
Welcome to the forum ASCNerd :wave:

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '17, 05:26 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
You need to edit your survey.

I don't have any automation in my system, however it wont let me proceed unless I tick at least one box on question 4.

I tried typing none into the "other" text box but this didn't satisfy it.

Same bug may well apply to other questions.

Easiest fix would be to have a "None" option in each question if you're going to make responses mandatory.

PostPosted: Feb 3rd, '17, 19:18 

Thank You for completing the survey, and for Your advice. I changed the survey and added new "None" options. Btw the survey is comming along nicely, there are some suprising (maybe just for me :D) aspects:

- the most difficult is to set up a proper flood and drain cycle our growbeds
- the majority uses grow lights (but no control for switching on and off)
etc.

Cool, I will keep You updated :)

PostPosted: Feb 4th, '17, 23:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Unknown Cyborg
If you can if you design the relays so they can control motors and other noisy electronics it would help you a lot, that's a big problem with the Arduino/etc. relay boards you can buy cheaply now.

Another bonus would be if say 2 of them could run high amp loads like heaters (30A rating at 240V would be more than adequate I would think?) Yes, you can have the relay control another relay rated for high amps but that defeats the one-stop purpose of the device :)

Salt Calculator / Fish Temperature Ranges / Pump Reports

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '17, 05:32 

You guys are awesome! The survey is coming along nicely, thank you for your time!

To LowCarbTNPer: We were already testing high powered relays, up to 50A (both the heaters and grow lights need insane amount of power at peaks) and we are planning to create an individual high power relay modul for these type of consumers. Thanks for the heads up, this is very helpful, because we know, that we are on the right track!

The survey is halfway complished, please if you know someone who could be interested, send him the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VDWRMJR

I will publish the results of the survey here!

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '17, 06:41 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

It's interesting that the majority use grow lights.

I'd wager that in Australia it would be a minority of people who grow using lights - unless they're growing drugs and trying to hide them from the neighbours!

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '17, 08:36 
A posting God
A posting God

I'll agree with Sean, I've seen masses of systems on here, and there is only a handful who use lights.

Do you guys have a software build for the raspberry pi that you'll release? So I could make my own with a RiPi?

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Feb 6th, '17, 04:55 

Actually we started to use grow lights specially for testing the device (the AquaShield), and it turned out, that with these we could run a 100% system even at winter, when the days are short, and we only have a moderate amount of sunshine (in Central Europe), so I'm a big fan of grow light - combined with solar panels for reducing ecological footprint.

To Black-Byron: Yes we have a web interface (we call it ASUI), where You can monitor Your system, set up rules (eg. controlling a heater through a relay) and alerts. Please check my post about it: http://aquashieldcontrol.com/hood-aquashields-architecture/

We are planning to release the whole pack together (monitoring and controlling module, relay modul, OS - based on Raspbian, The web interface, and a mobile app).

Please if You have any thoughts, do not hold back :D

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '17, 19:28 

Is it commercially available and how much does it cost?

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '17, 18:08 

Hi Tajuddin Khan,

We are planning to make it available till the end of 2017 summer. We are preparing to run a Kickstarter campaign soon as well. In the meantime, You could check our progress on our blog: http://aquashieldcontrol.com/blog/

If You have any question or thoughts about the project, please share it here or on our website/facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/aquashieldcontrol/

PostPosted: May 8th, '17, 23:02 

HERE ARE THE RESULTS!

Hi everyone, thank you all for filling the survey, and your patience.

Please check my post about the survey's results here: http://aquashieldcontrol.com/aquaponics ... y-results/

Also, You could download the complete survey with all the data, just subscribe your mail in the blogpost.

Keep the comments coming and thank you once more!

PostPosted: May 11th, '17, 13:44 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

ASCnerd wrote:
HERE ARE THE RESULTS!

Hi everyone, thank you all for filling the survey, and your patience.

Please check my post about the survey's results here: http://aquashieldcontrol.com/aquaponics ... y-results/

Also, You could download the complete survey with all the data, just subscribe your mail in the blogpost.

Keep the comments coming and thank you once more!

So can this one do all of these?

- PH
- Air Temp
- Water Temp
- DO
- Water level
- EC

Can you sell the whole system with all the sensors ready to use? If yes, than I`m in.

PostPosted: May 11th, '17, 23:11 

Hi Xtro,

The whole monitoring and controlling system is up and running. We are testing the hardware and the operation system on some small and large aguaponic setup, and we are planning to launch a Kickstarter campaign at the end of this summer. Soooo we are very close to send the whole product to commercial sale.

If You want to follow our journey, please follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/aquashieldcontrol/), or visit our official site: aquashieldcontrol.com

Also, if You subscribe to our newsletter, You will be the first to know, when we launch our Kickstarter Campaign (we will have some very cool early bird deal for you :D).

You can subscribe here: http://aquashieldcontrol.com/subscribe- ... ewsletter/

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '17, 16:54 

Quote:
Also, if You subscribe to our newsletter, You will be the first to know, when we launch our Kickstarter Campaign (we will have some very cool early bird deal for you :D).

Did my subscription, at the url today

thanks
Joseph John