All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Feb 4th, '20, 20:36 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
How do I identify a FET that can be triggered by the output pins of a Arduino, or PICAXE chip?

In the spec sheets, I see big voltage numbers that look like they are describing the voltage involved with the source and drain. I'm pretty confident about that, and also the max amperage, but I struggle to identify the bit of the spec sheet that tells me if it can be triggered by a chip.

Also, I dont know what happens as far as heat goes when it comes to reading the spec sheets. I'm guessing I can safely ignore everything else.

I'm trying to find a 3amp 12v FET that I can control with my PICAXE (although I've just started learning arduino* stuff).

I'd prefer to be able to learn to decide on my own, but I'd also be grateful if someone would tell me what to buy today.

For instance, is this what I'm looking for to have some of kicking around for random 12v projects?

(IRFZ44NPbF 20Pcs for AU$9.40)...

VGS(th) Gate Threshold Voltage 2.0 ––– 4.0 V VDS = VGS, ID = 250µA

VDSS = 55V
RDS(on) = 17.5mΩ
ID = 49A

And when it says 55V is that max or required?

*When I first started learning this stuff, PICAXE was sooo much cheaper than arduino, but now there are so many inexpensive boards and shields it's amazing. I realise there are quality issues with some, but there seem to be some good ones from what I've read. I just bought some on the recommendation (ish) of a friend on the other side of the planet (thanks Mike). I tried to get him interested in my handheld, laser, Death Star Safety Handgun. Actually, he seemed pretty interested, but didnt think his 3D printer was good enough to align the lasers well enough.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

Advertisement