All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 6th, '10, 10:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Following on from the recent release of his aquaponic modeling tool, Dr Wilson Lennard asked us if he could put our systems to the test. He then ran all of the systems that we sell through his aquaponics modeling tool to see how they stacked up to his scientific modeling and testing.

The conclusions can be found here in a 10 page report that Wilson has prepared as a pdf document.

If you don't want to download the whole document I can give you the general gist of the final results here:

Quote:
This means that for each individual system, as long as the suggested maximum fish
culture density isn’t exceeded, the system will work to biofilter all dissolved fish wastes (eg: the
nitrification of all ammonia), to grow all plants with the required amount of nutrients for those
plants and mineralise all solid fish wastes that the fish produce.

Quote:
The outcomes are as stated in the results table for each individual system. If operators use the fish
densities as the model suggests for these particular systems (while using an average 1% daily feed
rate) then the number of fish in the system, and ultimately, the amount of fish feed those fish eat
and the amount of waste they produce from that feed should be processed, used or converted by the
media bed of the system. This also indicates that most domestic scale, media bed based aquaponic
systems have the ability to operate well and perform all tasks, as long as some basic principles of
design are followed. What the current study proves is that many of the aquaponic systems available
on the market (including those of Backyard Aquaponics), or made at home, have a basic “built in’
ability to perform correctly, all that needs to be taken into consideration is what is the best fish
culture density and daily feed input rate for that particular system.

Finally, there is much precedent for the fact that media bed aquaponic systems operate well across a
wide range of inputs and operating conditions. Therefore, the outcomes of this study are suggested
fish densities and in all likelihood, fish densities and feed rates outside of these modelled results may
still work very well.

The study suggests that, at the maximum fish culture densities stated, the domestic media bed
aquaponic systems that Backyard Aquaponics sells should work very well to biofilter, solids
mineralise and grow plants using the established media bed based aquaponic approach.

Alright..... Thumbs up for all of our systems. :thumbright:

We've always known that our systems work well, but it's great to have an independant scientific report backing it up. :headbang: Thanks Wilson... :thumbright:

Profile Personal album  
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 6th, '10, 21:57 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
I ran the imperial version numbers on my big system. (they are not clear about which gallons they use though.) Anyway, I expect that any system which meets this tool's criteria will have plenty of capacity to handle real use.
Seeing as most our systems move way more water than this tool suggests.

I also note that according to the tool, my system probably only has 1/6th of the bed surface area that it should to take care of solids mineralization (seeing as my beds are deep and therefore less surface area per volume of media.) Even so, I've not had a problem from excess solids and I do not practice the 2-4 times yearly media cleaning/washing that the Doctor recommends.

There must be some additional parameters that would account for our systems abilities to handle solids mineralization better than this tool suggests.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Nov 6th, '10, 22:04 
One point that's not made clear in the modelling TCL.... is it doesn't account for the use of worms in the grow bed media to break down solids...

AFAIK... Wilson has never done so... and his modelling, and recommendations, based on his experiments probably reflects this....

PostPosted: Nov 6th, '10, 22:05 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Depends
Well maybe the worms do help...

My 3rd Future System - Expanding Now

PostPosted: Nov 6th, '10, 22:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They definitely help, I've seen it first hand in a system with multiple beds where worms were added to only 3 of 4 beds. The bed without worms collected solids around where the water came out of the irrigation pipe, but there was no build up in any of the other beds.

Addition of worms to the bed got rid of any solid build up.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Nov 7th, '10, 11:43 

Are you human?: Not at 3 am :(
:thumbright: for worms :D

PostPosted: Nov 7th, '10, 14:10 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Sometimes!!!
Dr Wilson Lennard has provided an "escape clause" in his modelling of both BYAP and Practical Aquaponics Kit Systems (and DIY Home Built AP Systems) with this paragraph towards the end of the documents:
"Finally, there is much precedent for the fact that media bed aquaponic systems operate well across a wide range of inputs and operating conditions. Therefore, the outcomes of this study are suggested fish densities and in all likelihood, fish densities and feed rates outside of these modelled results may still work very well.
To me this implies that many AP Systems – can, will... and do operate well - outside the scientific study parameters and recommendations. So if your AP System is running well with plant and fish growth – just keep on doing what you’re doing.
I believe Dr Wilson Lennard has identified the main issues regarding home AP Systems on his Aquaponic Solutions website – and I hope that he does not mind that I have copied them to here:
http://www.aquaponic.com.au/backyard.htm
“System Design
Aquaponic Solutions has advised many people on their backyard aquaponic systems, and the following are some of the main things we have seen people do wrong or completely avoid. Backyard aquaponic systems should encapsulate several design principles to be efficient and effective:
1. One pump only - for energy efficiency
2. Gravel bed hydroponic components - easy and efficient plant growth and biofiltration in the one unit
3. Constant Flow or Ebb & Flow water delivery to the hydroponic component
4. The preparedness to heat the system water in colder months
5. The use of the correct gravel type in the hydroponic component
6. A requirement to test the water on a regular basis”

Best wishes to all... Colin

PostPosted: Nov 7th, '10, 14:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well that in itself surely helps people to realize that there are no straight answers that can be given which cover aquaponics in any given situation. There are plenty of people who don't want to heat their water because they grow trout or other cold water species.. I'd like to be able to cool my water a little in Summer perhaps, the complete opposite.... Also if you take point 4 into account then that sort of negates point 1.
Testing? I never test my water.

There are just so many variables, because it's all dependent on what someone wants from their system.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Nov 7th, '10, 22:38 

Are you human?: Yep
This post represents a limb, out upon which I feel I must stroll.

Firstly let me say that from everything I've read available to me on the net and from libraries, the contributors on BYAP represent a very, very sizable chunk of the the top minds in this aquaponics caper, and not only have I recommended BYAP systems to people in the past, I will definitely recommend BYAP products to people in the future.

but...

this pdf is not a scientific paper. By any stretch.

I would trust the opinions and "rules of thumb" from the forum much more than this document. No offence intended to the author of this pdf, but really there is not a lot of science reported here.

Thats not to say there is no science behind it, but I wouldn't know, because there is certainly very little science up front.

If any 2 of the 50 key players on this forum combined their input, I would be amazed if they couldn't make a spreadsheet that would make better real world predictions of success, and be more helpful to everyone than this one.

I realize I haven't been here long enough to sprout something like this without a stack of social backlash... but really... no science.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Nov 7th, '10, 23:02 

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
A person can certainly, with some in depth study of this forum here, pick up all they need to know to design a very stable back yard aquaponics system. It really just takes a little determined sifting through the forum and picking up on the "rules of thumb" along with noting what works and what doesn't as people make the posts of "help fish dieing."

This forum was my primary and for a long time only information source while I designed my first few Aquaponic systems and I started adding my own personal experiences about what worked and didn't in my situation.

Thank you to Joel and all others who have made this Forum such a great place :notworthy:

It is good to know the BYAP systems meet the seal of approval from the tool.

But as Joel said, there are so many different things that contribute to appropriate system design that is is nearly impossible to make a one size fits all set of answers that some one could fit on one page. Other than for turn key packages that only go into certain situations, I guess one might need to read a book or the forum as the cliff notes don't quite cut it.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Nov 8th, '10, 06:59 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: only on weekends
i'v stoped testing my water it just sends your brain into head spin
you start to tinker with things and it all goes south from there :?
LEAVE IT ALONE !!!!