All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: BYAP Trials
PostPosted: Jan 6th, '12, 00:14 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: The top half is
BullwinkleII wrote:
This has been a very informative test, and thanks again for spending all the money to build, install, maintain, and record it all.

It's great to see someone do the test just in case it was worth doing something different, and putting in the thousands of dollars just to find out.
Muchas gracias.

+1.
Hear hear, etc.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 29th, '12, 10:01 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
definitely agree this trial has to be the best one out..

It shows the results of all types of system flows and has been on going for a far while now..

I can't see many others to do the same thing, in their space/time..

so from me, Thank you for your time and advice on each stem..

Juergen

I'm full of idea's..
That need to put into action..
One of those idea's is happening right now even If I think it is slight void of what It could be..

Can I have a Mulligan..

J

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '12, 13:16 

Are you human?: yes
It has been interesting to watch the progress of this trial. I would have liked to see floating raft system in the equation.

One thing I noticed is that there seemed to be a big jump from syphon system to CF and then CF and timed were fairly close. For me this makes the CF system very attractive in that it is so basic. Just pump the water in and let it run out. No syphons, no timers, nothing.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '12, 21:22 
Murray has suggested Here that...

Quote:
Constant flow works fine when the bed is new but tends to develop "tracking" or "dead spots" as time goes by.

I'm presuming that he means "constant flood"...

Have you seen anything to suggest that this might be the case Joel.... or anyone else that has been runing "constant flood" for some length of time... :dontknow:

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '12, 23:02 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
RupertofOZ wrote:
Murray has suggested Here that...

Quote:
Constant flow works fine when the bed is new but tends to develop "tracking" or "dead spots" as time goes by.

I'm presuming that he means "constant flood"...

Have you seen anything to suggest that this might be the case Joel.... or anyone else that has been runing "constant flood" for some length of time... :dontknow:

Who is that quote from?

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '12, 23:09 
BullwinkleII wrote:
Who is that quote from?

This one...

Quote:

Murray.. in the thread I linked to...

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 11:29 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Nothing obvious as yet...

Though my oldest system at home is a classic example of a clogged bed, I'll try and get some pics later on. It's been running constant flow for probably 10 years or so now, but it's only grown water cress in it for the last 3-4 years, and the cress has never been pulled out, hence a fair bit of clogging, but that's a rather extreme situation.

Trial systems are still all ticking along nicely, here are some pics as they are at the moment.

System1
Attachment:
SAM_0001 (Custom).JPG
SAM_0001 (Custom).JPG [ 263.94 KiB | Viewed 6836 times ]

System2
Attachment:
SAM_0002 (Custom).JPG
SAM_0002 (Custom).JPG [ 281.02 KiB | Viewed 6836 times ]

System3
Attachment:
SAM_0003 (Custom).JPG
SAM_0003 (Custom).JPG [ 277.45 KiB | Viewed 6836 times ]

System 3,2,1 from left to right

Attachment:
SAM_0011 (Custom).JPG
SAM_0011 (Custom).JPG [ 237.26 KiB | Viewed 6836 times ]

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 11:31 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We've had loads of tomatoes, the tomato plants hanging off the back of the beds have already been cut right back once, they are on a second growth spurt.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 11:40 
earthbound wrote:
Nothing obvious as yet...

Though my oldest system at home is a classic example of a clogged bed, I'll try and get some pics later on. It's been running constant flow for probably 10 years or so now, but it's only grown water cress in it for the last 3-4 years, and the cress has never been pulled out, hence a fair bit of clogging, but that's a rather extreme situation.

Do you think you would have a similar situation in your grow bed after 10 years...

If you were running siphoned, or timed F&D????

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 11:56 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it would be the same no matter how it was run, most of the problem has been leaving in the water cress for years... Many people have experienced the "Ooops I left a watercress/mint/tomato etc in the bed for way tooo long." Water can't flow through your bed when all the air/water spaces are filled with roots.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 12:10 
So, any tracking, dead spots or "clogging"... is more a function of the grow beds becoming root bound.... rather than the methodology of the system....

Would sound both logical... and a "no brainer" to me.... and indeed, on not only my own systems, but those of clients... I always remove the bulk of root mass from longer term crops after harvest... and often actually leave the bed "fallow" for a period of time... to mineralise.... particularly if the system has multiple beds....

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 15:19 

RupertofOZ wrote:
So, any tracking, dead spots or "clogging"... is more a function of the grow beds becoming root bound.... rather than the methodology of the system....

Would sound both logical... and a "no brainer" to me.... and indeed, on not only my own systems, but those of clients... I always remove the bulk of root mass from longer term crops after harvest... and often actually leave the bed "fallow" for a period of time... to mineralise.... particularly if the system has multiple beds....

My scoria filled, siphon powered, blue barrel has a tomato that's almost totally choked the bed to the point where the water is an inch deeper at the edges than it is at the siphon. There's no sign of smell or anything, but it must eventually cause a problem. Although there is a chance that any dead spots will simply kill off the roots in them, and become free again once they break down.

If you put plants in a bucket with an inch of water, and forget them, the roots rot within a week or so, and break down to worm food in no time.

I've just pulled my tomato up to transplant it, but I'm wondering if all the root matter left in the media is going to cause an ammonia spike. There must be half a kg of fine stuff too small to pull out.

Anyway, my point here is that I'm pretty sure there are some spots in my VERY thoroughly flowing siphon based system that aren't seeing as much flow as they should be, so I'm guessing It would be the same in any system that gets root bound.

including a pot plant or a dirt garden

My system

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 16:55 

RupertofOZ wrote:
I always remove the bulk of root mass from longer term crops after harvest.....

I tease out as much of the roots as I can and leave most of the media behind, throw in a handful of composting worms and replant immediately.Voila.
There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way od doing things, just different.

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 18:00 
Likewise... I remove as much of the root ball as possible when I pull them... leaving the remaining ball on top of the media so the worms return to the bed... and then shake the media out after a couple of days...

But if the whole bed has been planted, or is root bound... as it often is with a complete planting of tomatos... then I'll also literally turn the media in the bed several times and remove as much of the roots as possible...

But, yeah, there's no right or wrong way...

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '12, 18:41 

do you stop feeding or do anything special after pulling substantial plants out?

ie do you see a ammonia spike down the track after ripping out your tomatoes?

My system

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next