All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Koji
PostPosted: Jan 25th, '20, 23:36 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
Sleepe wrote:
I keep looking at egg incubators on ebay :) .

You can't use the signal from the transistor to drive a 12v relay?

It turned out to be a software problem.

I was turning the thing off if was over 28c, and on if it was under 28c.

The result was it was switching every few seconds. I thought this was a transistor over heating, but it came down to the analog thermistor reading a lot more fractions of a degree than I thought it could do.

I changed the program to start the device at 26c, and turn off at 28c, and everything is cool.

Now the air temp in my device is 28c to 28.2c, and the internal temp of the rice in the device is always 28c. Humidity is 99% on a device that says it's accurate to 90%, so who knows. But it seems to be about right RE: humidity.

But to normal humans, just grow koji in your oven using the light to maintain the temperature at around 20-30c or put in a frozen bottle of water to make it stay cool.

Ovens have amazing insulation. You can trust them to pretty much maintain an average temperature of where ever you live throughout the day and night + or - 5c

It turns out koji is very forgiving.

I'm a little obsessed as is my normal modus operandi, because I want to know what is going on, and also want to farm my own.... I dont know what to call it... spawn? green bits that make more.

If all you want is the insane flavour hit, just look at the first post, or even just buy some Shio Koji in wet form online... but I dont think that's live in the way that pasteurized yogurt also isn't alive.... who knows... I've never bought it, so I shouldn't comment.

If anyone has any difficulty finding this stuff, let me know and I'll send you a seed amount by post if it's legal.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '20, 07:41 
A posting God
A posting God

Ended up saving myself the angst and buying an incubator :)

First batch of shio koji is ready so I can start experimenting.

Found koji kin (the spores) online from a place called riceculture.com.au but haven't used them yet.

BTW thank you Bullwinkle for all your info, one of my hobbies is cooking and it always makes me happy when I have something new to try.

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '20, 22:41 

Sleepe wrote:

Found koji kin (the spores) online from a place called riceculture.com.au but haven't used them yet.

BTW thank you Bullwinkle for all your info, one of my hobbies is cooking and it always makes me happy when I have something new to try.

Awesome!

May your obsession not be quite as bad as mine :)

I gave the last of mine to the guy next door when I crashed his party.

I was forced to eat something that didnt have koji on it.

Turns out you can sous vide* a leg of lamb in a jumbo ziplock bag without the seams falling apart.

Does anyone else wash and reuse their vacuum sealer bags, or is it just me?

*+blow torch

My system

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '20, 11:59 

Are you human?: Yes
Howdy.

I used to be on this forum yeeeears ago under a different name, and I was searching 120things aeration. Sad to see it's no longer ongoing, but glad to see you here Bullwinkle!

I'm stunned at how much you and I are in synch on so many things...like Koji. My research has lead me to some interesting info on different strains of A. Orizae for differing substrates. Hope you guys are interested in the reading...

https://www.fermentationculture.eu/whic ... uld-i-buy/

I intend to buy some from this fella. hope importing green powders via Australia Post will not land me in the clink.

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '20, 14:34 

VacStillGuy wrote:
Howdy.

I used to be on this forum yeeeears ago under a different name, and I was searching 120things aeration. Sad to see it's no longer ongoing, but glad to see you here Bullwinkle!

I'm stunned at how much you and I are in synch on so many things...like Koji. My research has lead me to some interesting info on different strains of A. Orizae for differing substrates. Hope you guys are interested in the reading...

https://www.fermentationculture.eu/whic ... uld-i-buy/

I intend to buy some from this fella. hope importing green powders via Australia Post will not land me in the clink.

I got sick for a bit there, and when I got back to the blog, I discovered google had demonetised it (they did that to everyone that wasn't getting x thousand hits a day). It seems like an odd thing for google to have done. I still have about $500 in my google account. (thanks for reminding me). It had about half a million hits last time I looked, which is quite a bit given how I've been ignoring it

Part of my brief to myself was that the blog had to be self funding. This kept me using junk instead of just buying solutions. Self funding except for the aquaponics. I figured I was selling veggies to our house with that one :)

I still learn stuff all the time (I'm getting into arduino now, but it's difficult to learn when my shiny new arduino kit is all still in transit.

I did make a very successful koji incubator out of an old Dick Smith car cooler/warmer. (I should post the plans)

With my last batch of kijo. I had it in a sterile towel, in a plastic tub inside the device.

The towel was kept damp.

After about a week of growing on the half cooked, steamed rice at 28c, I allowed the top of the towel to dry out.

The result was I got around 2L of shio koji (the wet stuff for marinating) and about 50g dehydrated weight of very green rice to seed the next few batches. It seems the koji "goes to seed" when it's water stressed. (I read about it somewhere), and also penetrates deeper into the rice looking for water.

I think if I were to shake the green rice, OI would get quite pure spores.

Heaps of shio koji, and seed for the next few batches! :flower:

My system

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '20, 14:36 

Sleepe wrote:

How's it going with the incubator?

More importantly, how's the experimental food coming along?

I did some more fish, and this time was a lot better.

But try bacon soaked in shio koji for a few days in the fridge. Leave the shio koji on the bacon, but turn down the heat as it browns very quickly.

My favorite is still the koji fried chicken.

My system

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '20, 09:37 
A posting God
A posting God

Hi Bullwinkle

The weather hasn't been good for getting things done, an excuse. :)
I have only tested the incubator to see that it works so I could give feedback on ebay.
I tried chicken wings but could only marinate them for just over a day; they browned well but no real distinctive flavour.
Aldi were selling canned chickpeas (2.5kg) at a good price so I bought some to make chickpea miso (a future project).

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '20, 11:17 

Sleepe wrote:
Hi Bullwinkle

The weather hasn't been good for getting things done, an excuse. :)
I have only tested the incubator to see that it works so I could give feedback on ebay.
I tried chicken wings but could only marinate them for just over a day; they browned well but no real distinctive flavour.
Aldi were selling canned chickpeas (2.5kg) at a good price so I bought some to make chickpea miso (a future project).

Did the shio koji work? i was it bubbling a bit and smelling interesting? I'm told that heat in transit can kill it like yeast.

It should look like this before you put it into the fridge (click to view in this window)...

download/file.php?id=90304

Try coating the chicken wings in shio koji... even without marinating them, (leave the shio koji on quite thick) then dusting them in a mix of real corn cornflour, and coarsely ground hard koji rice.

Then deep fry. I've tried doing them in the oven, on a grill, and in a frying pan, but nothing else works.

When you deep fry it the rice turns to popcorn. ie it explodes.

Oil at lower temps than usual.

When you do kfc (koji fried chicken) with skin on chicken legs, there's almost no oil retained, and they are still crunchy the next day... not like that other kfc.

It will trash your oil after only two batches though, so use no-name canola oil or something.

I did a shallow deep fry where I had to turn in to cook all of it. It only cost around $1.50 worth of canola oil for 8 chicken legs.

My system

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '20, 12:01 
A posting God
A posting God

Think the shio koji was ok before I blended it and put it in the fridge.

I suspect the coating came off with the fat (I grilled them on a sort of trivet) however the fat that did come out when I washed the pan was very dark and the smell was a bit like 'meaty' vegemite. :) I will try coating them in panko crumbs next time as I don't often fry stuff.

PostPosted: Mar 17th, '20, 21:39 

Sleepe wrote:
Think the shio koji was ok before I blended it and put it in the fridge.

I suspect the coating came off with the fat (I grilled them on a sort of trivet) however the fat that did come out when I washed the pan was very dark and the smell was a bit like 'meaty' vegemite. :) I will try coating them in panko crumbs next time as I don't often fry stuff.

Cool.

Does anyone get notified if I change this text? Please let me know.

Now I know what a trivet is.

The cornflour and slightly pulverized, dry inoculated rice is really worth a try.

I dont normally deep fry anything either, but this is worth it.

It doesn't take on wet oil like bread crumbs do. I'd say it's almost healthy, but you're eating chicken skin on a high fat leg... so... :whistle:

Dip in shio koji, crumb in cornflour (WHITWINGS!) and pulverised dry koji inoculated rice. Deep fry.

Also this is slightly interesting... When you deep fry, you can filter your oil for reuse through a coffee filter, but a generally more impressive way is to stir in a very small amount of WHITEWINGS* cornflour, some water, and gently heat. Cornflour turns to glue and grabs all the crud in your oil.

I trust these people.

They are the only site I've ever sent money to on the net (other than my VPN and website registrations). (Americas Test Kitchen)

This is the how to clean your oil video...

https://youtu.be/qgADlZClDAE

*No I dont own shares :)

My system

PostPosted: Mar 17th, '20, 22:43 

Slightly interestingly, I just had a batch fail.

I've seen people saying that this can happen after the third or fourth generation of recycling.

Perhaps, like yeast, it can get polluted by other free spirits out in nature, but I have some that I vacuum sealed grown from the second batch so I'll try again and see what happens.

I might have to buy a new bag of inoculated rice every year or so to keep it pure.(I do actually have some of my original bought batch kept in case of this)

I just wasted 600 grams of rice at a time when 600 grams of rice is important in my usually spoile(d(t)) Western Life.

Maybe I'll salt my fishtank with it.

I lost a fish today as well.

A goldfish, but I suspect it was just from old age.

My system

PostPosted: Mar 18th, '20, 02:11 

Just out of interest, I often re-read my posts to see if they still mean anything taking the future into account, when I look at replies but I have no ide what happens on this forum when I look at something I posted, then correct it.

For instance, this post includes the word "ide" rather than "idea".

Can a moderator... I mean a real moderator... not me... tell me what happens if I correct that next week?

Do people see that as a new post and get notified, or does that just slip under the radar for anyone who has already read the original (incorrect) post?

ie if I change ide to idea next week, do people get a new notification?

I guess the easiest way to find out is if I just edit this next week..

Actually I'll try it on my system thread and see if anyone gets notified.

My system

PostPosted: Mar 18th, '20, 02:23 

[quote="BullwinkleII"]When I started this thread there were only a few references on google to "koji fried chicken".

I did a search earlier for a recipe, and got 6000 or so hits... now it's 7,170.

It's for good reason.

I cooked some today, and it's the crunchiest food on earth (on a par with munching on fresh brandy snaps, toffee apples, and dry kindling).

It's like, "You dipped your chicken in epoxy!" kind of crunchy.

And it stays crunchy even when cold.

--------------------------

just now...

Google
koji fried chicken

About 498,000 results (0.49 seconds)

My system