Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Interesting post. First? :support:

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 639483.htm

Profile Personal album  
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '12, 17:03 
Nah.. it's not commercial.... it's a small scale operation... funded by grants money...

And you guessed it... it going to be... a training institution.... :lol:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-22/r ... ns/4386138

Last edited by RupertofOZ on Dec 19th, '12, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '12, 17:04 
Legend Member
Legend Member

:D

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Dec 19th, '12, 17:06 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Good luck with the cod whoever they are.. Not a fun fish to raise may do better in a good setup where you can grade them but yea backyard just wait for one to get fat unless you can seperate the fat ones

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '12, 17:23 
You can get an idea of it's "commercial" scale through these photos...

http://www.lblap.org.au/documents/LBLAP2012MayWeb.pdf

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '12, 17:31 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Rupe I really hope they have improved on that setup and aren't just training people because there are enough of those crooks about.......

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '12, 17:40 
It's a kind of community project Wildfire... so I'm sure that those involved are well meaning....

If the training is just basic demonstration of aquaponics.... then that's not really a problem....

If it's being represented as a "commercial" scale model... then... argh... not really true IMO...

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '12, 21:08 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: 0110010110
yeah the commercial aspect doesn't sound that promising

Sounds like a pretty expensive "basic demonstration" of aquaponics :think:

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '12, 21:32 

Wasnt this idea born years ago Rupe (2008-ish) by Andrew Dezsery? Looks like he's finally followed through. Pretty switched on lecturer in marine biology or aquaculture science but I dont think he has been directly involved with AP long has he?

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Dec 20th, '12, 07:26 
Andrew is listed as the primary aquaculture/aquaponics consultant... and it's based on his design that he developed a few years back....

The Riverlands project was.. as described on his website... his "pilot project"..... just seems the installation is now being described as "commercial"...

Not sure why it's being described as such..... from what I can see it's only got 1000 holes... of lettuce....

Attachment:
Loxton-Training-0241.jpg
Loxton-Training-0241.jpg [ 228.6 KiB | Viewed 5538 times ]

That's barely bigger than my backyard "hybrid" NFT system....

Attachment:
100_7205 (Custom).JPG
100_7205 (Custom).JPG [ 163.92 KiB | Viewed 5538 times ]

Andrews been around for a while... mainly as a small RAS aquaculture operation... but seems to have moved into the direction of aquaponics over the last few years...

PostPosted: Jan 21st, '13, 10:43 

Are you human?: yes
Hi Guys, Andrew here, just to clarify your queries to each other. It's easier to ask the source than speculate.

Yes, we have been around for awhile, teaching aquaponics in aquaculture engineering lectures to grads at Flinders Uni SA from 1996-2006. I tried to amalgamate the biology faculties horticulture and aquaculture sectors but the aquaculture sector heads thought that I was taking away the pure essence of aquaculture for the future. Funny how 13 years later unis are now seeking funding dollars for similar programs.

We used to distribute Nelson and Pades hard copy of the Aquaponic Journal till 2000 where we decided Australia was not ready for commercial aquaculture yet and as industry developers heavily involved in the development of Barramundi farming in Australia using RAS and also as the WBA Operations Manager, decided to focus on industry rather than home hobbyists. The company I worked with built the largest barramundi RAS systems in SA and the ST Kilda farm still produces some 100 plus tonne a year from a 60 m x 30m shed.

I partnered up with some industry colleagues and developed PIFS, Precision Integrated Farming Systems in 2004 and worked with Government bodies to develop this (AKA Aquaponics). Government was excited but not commited. We researched and developed systems for fish, horticulture and rabbit production and without breaking IP contract, lets just say, we did very well with the outcomes.

We partnered up three times with other private enterprise all of whom sadly were either corrupt or only in it for a short term gain and so we disbanded and I went off on my own and registered #1 aquaponics in 2006 whilst running my other business Aquaculture Advantage, established 1996.

In 2009 under Gillards watch of the DEEWR, I travelled across the US and Canada on sabbatical and wrote a report available from the Backyard Aquaponic site and whilst there, also presented with Jim Rakocy and crew on our research work here in Australia and to our pleasure, were pleased that the growth results we achieved were comparative and far more efficient using the NFT technologies for our dry continent we utilised back in 2004-2007. Wilson now advocates this method and our own home system hybrids have been sold since 2004.

This enabled us to present our findings to the NRMB's and further develop work with Canberra allowing funding for Australias first Aquaponic Training facility recognized by Federal Government as a high priority achievement for their regions specified under the sustainability funding 2012-13. Already 20 commercial farmers have now been trained and three have instigated farming systems with 1 already producing 200-300kg of cod and silver perch to market a month and horticulture sales to various commercial wholesale outlets.

The cost of the facility hardware was under $50,000 which included a stage one of 2400 holes with the addition of another 2000 2nd tier holes. A 30m x 7m fully enclosed plastic house with heating/ cooling control, insect mesh, solar weave and defestation bunker as well as weed matting and all pipework and NFT equipment fully plumbed producing lettuces, tomatoes, peppers, basil, spring onion, chives etc. The aquaculture unit comprises of 4 x aquaculture duty tanks, back up o2 systems, aeration systems, water deliver systems, floc filters, 125um screen filters, Co2 degassing system, 15um bead filtration, sumps, biofiltration to 1 tonne stocking capacity, high flow low wattage pump etc etc. Also supplied was spectrophotometers, microscope, oxygen meters, pH monitors, TDS meters, lab equipment supplies, nets, data moitoring systems and alarm systems for air, water, intrusion, temperature, water flow, power failure and 400 x 250gm fish of silver perch and murray cod all supplied by http://www.Aquaculture-Advantage.com.au , our sister company of 1Aquaponics.com.au.

The land holder also contributed $30k of his own money to fixing up his existing shed, putting water and power on and landscaping the area as well as his time and patience. We also contributed $5k ourselves to the project as we see this as an important sector of farming in the region.

I thought they ( the community and Feds) did well for their money spent. Perhaps John Burgess would like to list what he supplied for $60,000 to the Saint Vincence Hospital and what development has evolved for industry in its first 12 months. John knew of our work and long term industry involvement as I have corrected him before so, I am surprised that he gave you so little information.

To clarify, the rest of the funding was for administration, field days, outreaching, report writing, 3 x 1 year personal and training portion for up to 15,000 farmers in the designated portfolio region, three agencies personnel etc etc . People are expensive in Australia hence, all our manufacturers going offshore.

Anyway, if you have any further questions just ask me direct. I will be pleased to answer them for you from the source.

regards

Andrew :)

PostPosted: Jan 24th, '13, 13:29 

Very, very interesting reading Andrew, in more ways than one.Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Jan 24th, '13, 14:20 

I missed this one, thanks for all the info Andrew. You have been a busy guy!

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jan 24th, '13, 15:42 
Indeed, thanks for the post Andrew.... especially some of your background... much of which I was aware of...

But I was unaware that you had actually been teaching aquaponics "in aquaculture engineering lectures to grads at Flinders Uni SA from 1996-2006"....

Quote:
I thought they ( the community and Feds) did well for their money spent. Perhaps John Burgess would like to list what he supplied for $60,000 to the Saint Vincence Hospital and what development has evolved for industry in its first 12 months. John knew of our work and long term industry involvement as I have corrected him before so, I am surprised that he gave you so little information.

From what you've listed Andrew... indeed, what was supplied was good value for the money...

And yes, I was ... as noted above... aware of some of your involvement... your initial "Aqua-Advantage" aquaponics/NFT models...and the pilot plant in Riverlands... which we did discuss...

But I wasn't aware of any of the details of the Riverlands pilot... most certainly not the costings/fundings... which we didn't discuss... :lol:

Nor was I aware that the pilot was, or since became... partially funded by anyone else.... or had gone beyond your initial "pilot"... indeed from memory, when we talked you seem to indicate that your involvement with the "pilot" had ceased....

As to the St Vincent project... I've posted most of the information here previously.... and I'm quite happy to itemise the components....

Site levelling and form work
30 by 10 mtr concrete slab...
Three bay timber framed, clad and insulated (partially)...roller doored, "lean to" structure
With twin fish tank bays, and a third centralised bay for all electrial components, air supply, etc
Dual 3000L rainwater capture tanks, pumps, and first flush devices
Gutter meshing and internal water supply plumbing to fish tank bays
Dual 3000L fish tank/1000L sump tank, 6 x 500L media grow beds flood & drain systems
24mtr x 7.5 mtr insect screened greenhouse... wind up curtains, and a 1hp thermostatically controlled extraction fan
Trenched power supply to building
Dual/duplicated power circuits for each flood & drain system, including power throughout the greenhouse
Seperate power circuit for control bay, lighting and fan operation
Redundant battery backup air supplies to each fish bay... and backup solar power (not completed)
Dual/duplicated plumbing all encased in screened gratings...
All designed with wheelchair access compliance...
Miscellaneous nets, testing kits, feed, pH buffers etc etc...
200 Silver Perch initially supplied... with intentions to double the stocking...
All twelve grow beds fully planted out

The St Vincent project was actually conceptualised as a three component project.... the first, a standard flood & drain installation (dual/duplicated systems).. the second dual/duplicated 2000 hole DWC raft installations... and the third a standard 4000 hole hydroponics installation...

It was intended to be profitable... but certainly not ever considered to be of a commercial scale.... and was intended to primarily provide food to the on farm hostel... and hopefully be a research and training facility for the local TAFEs... with the view to both raise the awareness of aquaponics.. and possible aquaponics research..

The original three stage concept was costed at $180,000... and a grant sort under the auspices of the TAFE...

A grant of $240,000 was awarded... however, only $60,000 was actually allocated to the first stage of the concept....

The grant was drawn up and sort by the TAFE, and all monies allocated... were directly controlled by the TAFE...

Upon completion of the initial first stage... for what ever reasons... the TAFE withdrew from any further involvement... including the funding of previous Horticulture courses at the property...

I'd be happy to discuss the matter more fully with you if you wish... :wink:

PostPosted: Jan 24th, '13, 17:49 
A couple of questions if I may Andrew....

AndrewD wrote:
with 1 already producing 200-300kg of cod and silver perch to market a month and horticulture sales to various commercial wholesale outlets.

How long has the farm been in operation???

Any idea how much horticultural produce is marketed per month?

AndrewD wrote:
... biofiltration to 1 tonne stocking capacity....

With the stated 4 tanks... that seems to equate to potentially 250kg/tank... how big are the tanks... 10,000L?

What's the projected maximum annual output???

AndrewD wrote:
To clarify, the rest of the funding was for administration, field days, outreaching, report writing

Were reports/dissertations written up regarding the project.... and if so.. are they publically available??