All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '13, 10:39 

Are you human?: yes
hi does any one know the the licence and law requirements in NSW for selling fish produced by aquaponics

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '13, 10:53 
The selling of any fish... for profit... regardless of whether it's aquaculture, aquaponics.. or aquaria... requires a licence....

Selling fish for human consumption... will not only require an aquaculture permit... but stringent compliance with Food Safety licencing, HACCP implementation... cold chain compliance... a pest plan.... yearly and adhoc inspections etc, etc...

Unless you're going "live" to a wholesaler....

How many tonne of fish per annum are you thinking of producing???

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '13, 11:37 

hi thanks for reply

i have a 50meter by 9 meter arch framed gal hot house i am thinking of converting to an aquaponic experiment,

i am not sure how much food or fish i could produce or the ratios needed, so i am keen for some one to offer advice...

tip on live wholesale sounds interesting if it means not paying thousands of dollars

there was a video by some murry guy for $110 bucks

any tips greatly appreaciated

Andrew.

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '13, 11:50 
fish finger wrote:
i have a 50meter by 9 meter arch framed gal hot house i am thinking of converting to an aquaponic experiment,

i am not sure how much food or fish i could produce or the ratios needed, so i am keen for some one to offer advice...

Fair greenhouse... you could certainly produce a fair bit of vege produce... depending how you set up....

How many fish... well depends again how you set up.. and how much money you want to spend...

Raising lots of veges is easy... raising lots of fish... is a whole lot harder...

Here's my St Vinnies installation at West Nowra.... 24mtrx7.5mtr..... duaul systems....fish housed seperately (3000L tanks)

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/vie ... 5&p=364166

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '13, 11:54 
fish finger wrote:
tip on live wholesale sounds interesting if it means not paying thousands of dollars

Live to a wholesaler.... means your liability ceases as soon as the wholesaler loads them into his tank...

But most wholesalers wont come and pickup a load of market size fish... unless you've got a reasonable number/weight... and generally not unless they think you can supply regularly...

With Silver Perch.... that's a 15 month grow out to plate size....

And... although a lovely part of the coast... you're a bit off the beaten track.... (mind you one of the "prawn" boys might be interested)

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '13, 16:39 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
[quote="fish finger"] there was a video by some murry guy for $110 bucks [quote]

Do the free thing ask a lots of questions and ask if you can visit a few setups thats your best bet otherwise you'll watch the vid and overstock and make a mess of things.

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '13, 17:27 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Live fish is the only way to avoid a huge floating raft of regulations - the moment you kill the fish the Govt comes in and certifies a 'clean' kitchen and 'proper' market practices - go do a Food Handling Course if you would like to know the ins and outs of the situation.

Providing live you are letting the vendor supply the certified kitchen and practices and if you choose the right fish there will be many restaurants and pubs wanting guaranteed fresh fish.

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '13, 17:50 
But you're still going to need an aquaculture licence... fisheries & council approval... possibly even an EPA report....

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '13, 18:23 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

DPI in Vic didn't seem that strict - mind you I wasn't concentrating on the selling produce side of things. But my impression was they were more concerned with selling breeding stock than for food. Mind you I have little problem believing any Govt Dept will want their tribute... I mean Tithe... I mean LICENCE FEES for anything that moves, breathes, can be bought or sold. They are bastards that way...

PostPosted: Jan 8th, '13, 06:00 

i suppose the big question: what sort of costs involved, any one gone down the path?

cheers

PostPosted: Jan 8th, '13, 06:56 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Between $260 and $670 depending on what licence you get. The NSW DPI Aquaculture FAQ isHERE

PostPosted: Jan 9th, '13, 14:33 

that's sounds reasonable cheersalot journeyman and others

PostPosted: Jan 9th, '13, 14:50 

RupertofOZ wrote:
fish finger wrote:

Fair greenhouse... you could certainly produce a fair bit of vege produce... depending how you set up....

How many fish... well depends again how you set up.. and how much money you want to spend...

Raising lots of veges is easy... raising lots of fish... is a whole lot harder...

Here's my St Vinnies installation at West Nowra.... 24mtrx7.5mtr..... duaul systems....fish housed seperately (3000L tanks)

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/vie ... 5&p=364166

hey Rupert I am in Nowra for 24 hours, would love to pop in if you have spare time on Thursday 10th in a.m

Andrew

cheers