All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '07, 20:16 
Quote:
in light of the infant state of this industry who is qualified and what constitutes a qualification. It is another worthwhile discussion in its own right. Perhaps that could be a very good thing for GANRAD and the collective industry to define different types of recognizable qualifications, broken into groups and sub groups, perhaps starting under the headings of Academic and or Practical and so forth.

There is lots of good stuff that can be achieved with collective effort.

Completely Murray.

I think this is at the core of many peoples concerns (including mine) and an "open invitation to all" discussion of criteria for recognition and/or accreditation, by members of the whole aquaponics community, is what I think is not only needed but judging from this discussion what in fact many are essentially asking for.

A very worthy starting point for an organisation with the goals and ideals expressed.

Hear, hear.

Advertisement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '07, 20:16 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you human?: YES- kinda
My bad, i should have read the post more closely.

please disregard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '07, 20:23 
To further that end Murray, and to enable aquaponicists from all different sites/forums etc to participate could I perhaps suggest that an open forum perhaps be established on the GANRAD site, if such a thing doesn't already exist.

With the understanding that it is open to all and open to all points of view.

When an ultimate consensus appears to be formulating that it then be correlated into distinct proposals for each category and peer reviewed for finely refinement and endorsement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '07, 20:24 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Steve VB is correct, but that is not the only reason. Attempts were made to get ANA off the ground, ANA was asked to pick the entire board of the body what ever it was to be. It went as far as a list of names, very good names I might add. I was not one of them at that time. But unfortunately the attempts just went nowhere.
The reasons it went nowhere were for personal reasons that only Geoff Wilson can answer. Geoff W is entitled to his reasons whatever they are.
Every attempt was made to get things going but to no avail, so GANRAD was formed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '07, 20:30 
Legend Member
Legend Member

It is a very good idea to open such things to discussion, but do we really need another forum ????? (are smiles disabled)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '07, 20:32 
Suggested it as a single point for public discussion. One which is open and transparent to anybody and everybody, no matter where they may be located.

Given that there already exists two forums (at least) in Australia, it would require new membership sign ups on one or the other if it were to be hosted one way or t'other.

Don't care if "smilies" are disabled :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 6th, '07, 06:17 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Murray wrote:
It is a very good idea to open such things to discussion, but do we really need another forum ????? (are smiles disabled)

Probably not, but things like the Yahoo email groups are pretty easy to setup. It would give your members a forum for suggestions/discussion, and also allow the board to inform members of the goings on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 6th, '07, 08:02 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I see no reason that GANRAD should not add options for non-commercial use members that are people like us. Or at least be open about it. Once again a linux dealeo here.

Many Linux distributions have their user side that is non commercial use or commercial use even. Then they have their Commercial use side that allows for priority paid support and the lot. I see no reason not to accommodate members of this forum in helpful manners that are not unreasonable. With the heavy handed approach I saw from the site. Here is my answer to ever helping.

HELL NO!

For the one simple reason as I explained before. This day and age closed models do not work. They are dinosaurs of a decayed era destined to become axle grease. This is exactly what will happen to GANRAD either that or it will become a beast that everybody will hate one or the other.

I really do not like being Mr. Negative or mean here being a new person and all. But the way I see it _EVERY_ bit of information I have come across about Aquaponic's has been not only open but _FREE_ so why pray tell do I need to even bother with you? Texas Tech horticulture offers all their publications free of charge in regards to aquaponics. Stocking Density, Size of Tanks, Measurements and the lot. This is not a non profit this is a educational center that was once a PAID only thing "note my dinosaur comment".

Please explain to me why I should even register a hit on your site again? I still have not seen satisfactory answers to Rupert and I can only see this as dodging the issue. This makes me even further wary of your motives at GANRAD.

If I am wrong I will gladly admit it but at this point I am not willing to be satisfied with the information put forth. I see it right now as a leach like Merck "Pharmaceutical Company" going to India stealing thier ideas of medicine and then patenting them as their own.

But please prove me wrong by all means.

As you can tell this is a very touchy subject for me. But then again I have contributed to quite a number of Open Source projects. I do it due to the TRUE free nature of this information or code. And if you really want to prove me wrong please put your site under the Creative Commons license to Share and Share Alike.

http://creativecommons.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 6th, '07, 18:30 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Hi Murray, the smilies are still there, you can either click on "Preview" or do the shortcuts:

colon D colon = :D
colon lol colon = :lol:

note the use of upper and lower case :wink: (slight problem with the "smilies" button)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 6th, '07, 18:44 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

That Texas Tech site is an amazing online library resource SD. On my faves for christmas reading, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 6th, '07, 21:06 
Nice post Slicer, prefer the open model approach as well.

As you say the age of the dinosaurs is over, or at least it should be.... hopefully soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 7th, '07, 01:21 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Your welcome twintragics

Rupert I do think it is over, the places that do not consider it to be over will be over soon. There is no way that people can keep knowledge suppressed anymore with millions of people having the same thoughts.

If you would have told me 5 years ago that things like Wikipedia would exist or Texas Tech would open their library... Berkeley would put their lessons on iTunes. I would have said you were insane.

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '07, 11:57 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Ohh as for freedom of information.

http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/educ ... aquaponics

That right there is enough to keep you busy for months. If GANRAD can compete with that knowledge I would take a bow. This is just one site I should note.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 7th, '07, 12:11 
Great reference point Slicer.

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '07, 12:15 
In need of a life
In need of a life

:hiding:

EDIT: Thanks mods... now this post doesn't make any sense... I have been wanting an excuse to use this one for ages....

Edit: gee sorry Tim

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next