All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '16, 13:42 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Occasionally
Hi All,

I am just starting out using an ibc Chift Pist system that I want to run as a stand alone solar/battery backup 12 volt set up. I have bought a 60L/min submersible pump from Nightingale Clearance Centre for $39 AUD, an 80 W solar panel (first of 2 for $129) and a 20W charge controller (also $39), but wanted a 12V timer to give me 5 - 10 mins 0n and 45 - 75 mins Off, depending on the time of year. Jaycar's 12Volt programmable timer fits the bill, but I have to warn anyone wanting to use this timer....BEWARE of the Chinglish instructions.....They are wrong. To program the timer, you need to place a series of jumpers (basically a u-shaped pice of wire that you fit over two pins to make a contact) over the programming pins.
Error 1. The plans number the "Time On" row of pins from 8 to 1, They actually number 1 down to 8.
2. The 3rd row of pins selects time as seconds, mins or hours. The plans state LK6, LK5 abc etc down towards the point where the wires connect. Wrong, the numbers are LK6, LK5, LK4 etc down, but the letters abc etc run the other direction. ie c,b,a.
3. The instructions state "Connect the device you want to switch to the NO and NC for normally open function or NC and COM for normally closed function". The instructions should state not NO and NC for normally open, but NO and COM for normally open function.

After not a small amount of muttering and head scratching, I finally got the timer working as required...5 mins on, 50 mins off and on a repeat cycle, hooked up to a relay to run the pump.

I realise that without seeing the timer, the above can be confusing unless you have already bought one and have it sitting in front of you so I will try to post some images of the instructions....this is my first post so not sure yet how to put up an image. Hopefully soon to follow.

Cheers,

Norm,

Altona, Aus

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 29th, '16, 21:50 

Are you human?: After 4 cups
Thanks Norm. Ill prob go down to my local jaycar and have a look.
Hopefully they have a 24v version

PostPosted: Apr 30th, '16, 06:29 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
The CN102 timer with programmable on and off times is available on ebay quite inexpensively, and has a display for easy setup. I have a few of them in use on my systems, switching 12VDC and 230VAC, very reliably so far- for over 12 months of operation.

Norm, a 20W charge controller should not be used with an 80W panel, although I suspect you meant 20Amp.
If it only cost $39, I'd be keeping a very close eye on it to make sure it is working properly.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '16, 15:52 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Sorry GG, yes I meant 20 Amp....my bad. Didn't notice until you pointed it out.

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '16, 15:53 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

A quick update.

A few teething troubles over the first 3 months of operation.

1. The timer takes a max. of 5 Amps. I only checked the pump amperage out of water (1.6 Amps) and assumed the rated 5 Amp would be OK. I burnt out the timer. After rechecking the pump I found it was drawing 7 amps. A quick soldering job on the timer to replace the burnt out sections of circuit board and and the addition of a second (20 Amp) relay solved the problem.
2. The air pump (also 12 volt) has needed replacing twice and is very loud, despite 2" of foam insulation). I am going to order a 240 Volt pump, run it in the garage and put an air line out to the tanks.
3. I put in a 3.6 amp submersible pump to reduce the strain on the timer. It blew the back out of itself within the first 24 hours, so reverted back to the original (see 2 above). Don't know the cause.
4. The rest of the system has been running ok except for 1 of the 4 bell siphons which doesn't drain as well as I'd like. The problem appears to be due to the distance from the sump (furthermost) and the low angle of the return pipe....but I can live with that.

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '17, 16:18 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Very happy with the 12V solar systems I am running. No problems with any of my set up so if anyone would like to use this timer or solar system, I am happy to pass on wiring diagram. Just pm me.

Cheers,

Norm

PostPosted: Jul 8th, '18, 18:28 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I have boosted my solar capacity and since I originally used the timer to conserve battery power, it is now no longer needed. So, both systems are now running 24/7 and the timer has been retired to the spare parts drawer.
(I am also running lower power consumption pumps which are more efficient than the originals)