All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: DIY Bulkhead Fittings.
PostPosted: Jun 21st, '08, 02:10 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, I'd like to see some diy bulkhead fittings that this community use on their systems. Anyone got pictures and plans of how they put theirs together and how long it's been operational without leaks? Thanks!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '08, 04:06 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

you guys make Bulkheads? can't be- I've heard of DIY but...

Bulkheads like these... http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-Bulkhead-Fittings?

=====
The Doc. edited down nicely, thanks Teabow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7awAo6CA5i4

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '08, 05:44 

Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
Hello Someguy:

Some people here are using what are called "tophat grommets" for smaller connections. Depending on how big you're going and what pressures are involved maybe one of those would do for you.

Plant and fish pictures are money

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '08, 12:57 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

dave, i'm not familiar with grommets... plus i don't think i can just grab those at the local hardware store. they look like specialty items from hydroponic shops. here's a pretty good diy tutorial i found using simple parts:

http://www.truetex.com/bulkhead.htm

i'm not sure how much pressure this fitting would be able to withhold. i was wondering what other people has come up with around here.

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '08, 13:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

ABS male + female, cut 2 squares or circles of polybarrel 3x the size of the fitting... trace fitting size so its tight tight when inserted... cut with jigsaw in vice. Screw first peice over male side cover with silicone, punch through hole for bulkhead, cover other peice with silicone.. screw on and then glob that thing up extremelike with silicone all over everything that is exposed... as in between the fitting and peice of barrel and what not.. all the barrel peice does is add support so the fitting wont fall out.. the silicone seals everything..

I will take a picture of mine tomorrow. I have done this several times the only way to break it.. is to kick the everloving crap out of it till it breaks the container so its not really removable :)

So like this (Encapsulate with Silicone (Male Fitting --> Barrel Peice --> Glob silicone --> Container needing bulkhead fitting --> Glob Silicone --> barrel peice --> Female Fitting) Encapsulate with Silicone )

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '08, 13:13 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

These are the ABS type fittings I use. :) I like ABS as it screws together easy. And I forgot to note above this will _NEVER_ leak :) if done right..

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '08, 13:26 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

thanks slicer! so i'm curious what size of those fitting you used? 1.5''? i'd imagine the bigger the pipe, the harder it is to keep it from leaking... also by silicone you mean something like this?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=47970-72643-GE5000&lpage=none

i'd like to see a picture of your setup. are you able to reduce it's size down to smaller pipings?

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '08, 23:07 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

someguy wrote:
thanks slicer! so i'm curious what size of those fitting you used? 1.5''? i'd imagine the bigger the pipe, the harder it is to keep it from leaking... also by silicone you mean something like this?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=47970-72643-GE5000&lpage=none

i'd like to see a picture of your setup. are you able to reduce it's size down to smaller pipings?

I have used 3/4, 1.5 and 3 inch to do it. I would advise finding a nontoxic aquarium silicone :) http://www.petco.com/product/4114/All-G ... alant.aspx My three inch was no problem just remember as you make it larger your cutout peice of barrel gets larger or whatever you use. This gives more room to anchor. And remember just be liberal with the silicone that stuff is wonderful..

I will get some pictures soon.. and as fr downsizing I would imagine you could downsize as small as you wanted but just remember the lip gets smaller and gets harder to anchor it.. the larger the easier to do actually :)

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '08, 06:01 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello.

Background information: Plumbing PVC uses Tapered fittings. Electrical conduit fittings use straight fittings.

For a <$1 bulkhead fitting, I use an appropriately sized gray electrical conduit fitting threaded into a standard plumbing PVC fitting with some teflon tape to make it water tight. The electrical fitting's straight threads allow the two fittings to screw together completely.

This was not my idea originally, I stole it from some one on the monsterfishkeepers website.

-ellie

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '08, 06:53 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
Heres what i use just standed white pressure pipe fittings put through the side with a bit of roof and gutter silicone lower profile been running 1 year no leaks

Attachments:
114_1435.JPG
114_1435.JPG [ 42.28 KiB | Viewed 3478 times ]
114_1434.JPG
114_1434.JPG [ 32.34 KiB | Viewed 3474 times ]

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '08, 07:55 

Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
I have used just regular PVC plumbing everywhere without problems, except that sometimes for thin containers you have to saw off some of the threads so that it gets tight enough.

Plant and fish pictures are money

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '08, 13:49 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Quote:
a straight thread is the thread you would find on a bolt and nut.
a tapered thread is the thread you would find on water/gas pipe connections.

a tapered thread is a sealing thread.
a straight thread is an axial load bearing thread.
a straight thread does NOT seal by itself but needs a gasket or needs to be part of a tapered surface to seal. an AN/SAE fitting has a straight thread and the sealing surfaces are mating cones.

hmmm... i'm pretty confused with this tapered vs straight threading. i don't know what the advantage of straight threading is over the tapered one. is it to make a tighter compression on both sides (as oppose to shaving off some tapered threads as dave had suggested)? adding the gasket would help it seal since straight threads don't seal. now eli is saying use a tapered thread with a straight thread... do you get the best of both worlds?

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '08, 14:41 

Are you human?: YES
The pressure pipe fittings tend to be very hard to screw together and as has been mentioned will often jam before the 2 pieces but together. However if you put some teflon tape on the male thread first, you will have no problems.

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '08, 20:15 

Are you human?: Not at 3 am :(
When I use threaded fittings, I always use straight threads with a gasket where possible. Much less leaks.

PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '08, 00:13 

Are you human?: no
veggie boy wrote:
The pressure pipe fittings tend to be very hard to screw together and as has been mentioned will often jam before the 2 pieces but together. However if you put some teflon tape on the male thread first, you will have no problems.

I also find a bit of silicone on the thread helps