All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: uniseal for pvc?
PostPosted: Dec 18th, '08, 03:05 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

hi there, will the uniseals function correctly on the thin walls of a tote type container?

seems i remember they were for 3/16 thickness materials like a barrell. im just hoping i wont have to shim a regular tote i want to use as GB's

pipe question next : if my inflow from FT to GB is 3/4" pvc i should make the outflow and overflow the same size yes?

lastly if i do get to use the uniseals is end to end ok on the tote plumbing or do they have to be directly in bottom of a GB for proper drainage?

thanks for enlightening me as always. john

ps: i found funds for my little AP system. it came out of the blue and i feel blessed so much so. what comes around does goes around

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: uniseal for pvc?
PostPosted: Dec 18th, '08, 03:39 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hi Johnny,
I have used Uniseals on the thinest of materials as well as ones that are thicker than the Uniseal itself. The Uniseal is a product I would definately recomend to everyone. They are fast, secure, easy, and they work. On super thin materials, you may need to use a thin (1/4" to 3/8") plywood or similar backing. By doing this you are able to securely attach to even flimsy 4mil plastic sheeting. Where are you buying them? Don't buy them from Aquatic Eco, unless you know someone there who is giving them to you. Great company, but high prices. You can buy them directly from the guy that Aquatic Eco buys from, much cheaper too. If you need their contact info. let me know. I use them for everything now, they are FAR better and easier than any form of bulkhead fitting.

Mathew

PostPosted: Dec 18th, '08, 04:06 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

hi there, thanks for the reply. i had searched for them at other places beside auatic eco and could only locate them from wernerponds. they were cheaper that AE at 1.78 each for the 1/2 and 3/4 sized

still sorta high for what they are though so if you could steer me to a better place, i sure would be greatful

its good to know the uniseal with function even on thin material :cheers:

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '08, 00:31 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
I would love to know where else to get them too. Granted, I live right near AE so I don't have to pay for shipping and the uniseals are far cheaper than any bulkhead fittings so I haven't resisted getting them from Aquatic Eco but please share other sources!

And yes the uniseals can plum through the sides of containers and are not picky about needing a perfectly flat surface the way most bulkhead fittings are.

I would usually make my gravity drain feeds from the grow beds, a size larger than the inlets since the water comming in the inlet is under some pressure from the pump and the drain will be by gravity and thus might not be able to flow as quickly as the inlet.

Tower System
PeePonics

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '08, 00:44 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

this is the manufacturer of uniseals:
http://www.injectionplasticsmfg.com/products.asp
see the bottom of the page
fitting instructions:
http://www.uniseal.co.nz/installation.html

and this is the worldwide distributor:
http://www.aussieglobe.com/uniseal3.htm

they will send you a price list

frank

so that they have to work off their asses to buy a refrigerator
Wim Sonnevelt

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '08, 00:56 

Well looking at those prices plus shipping compared to the prices I can get them from Aquatic Eco, well, I guess it is just who is paying the shipping. Since I can go by AE on my way home the base price comes out cheaper to get them from Aquatic Eco systems. However, taxes might make getting them from the distributer a few cents cheaper for me. For most others out there, if you have to have AES ship them to you, get them from the distributer and save a little bit.

Tower System
PeePonics

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '08, 00:58 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Ok, everyone,
Here is the list of phone numbers for the sole importer of Uniseals to the USA. He is a wonderful Australian chap (did I say that right?), and very nice to speak to. He sold them to me for the trade price, and if you buy in qty., he will add up all the pieces of all sizes to get you over the 500 piece limit. But, if you don't need that many, you will be happy to find that his one piece price is nearly half of what AE is selling for. They are cheap, I ordered $50 worth and the shipping was about $4.00. Since I bought some larger sizes, 4", I save well over $100 on PVC fittings. The small ones are cheap enough that it makes sense to buy as many as you think you can use in a year, The shipping is cheaper that driving accros town.

Just call him up, leave a message, and he will send you a fax of the pricing after he calls you back, make out an order, arrange payment, and 2-3 days later you will be pleased.

(888)222-8940 toll free phone
(419)994-3471 phone
(419)994-2152 fax
agsinc@bright.net
http://www.aussieglobe.com

I would be happy to help if anyone runs into any problems. It would also be nice to hear from more people using them. they are SO much easier than the other options.

Mathew

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '08, 01:09 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

i sure do thank all of you for all of this uniseal info. i fully intend to use the uniseals all i can

i will be a good test case, because if a semi sighted guy can make things go well using them, well then anyone can do it methinks :D

im still trying to collect all materials i need or think i need and plan plan plan as much as possible before construction of my system. thats not easy especially task in and of itself im finding out

but im sure in the right place to find the info i need. this i know and i sure do thank of you. highest regards

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '08, 01:13 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hi Frank/TCLynx,

The prices listed on his web site are NOT the prices he will send you. Just give him a call, he is very nice to speak to. He will sell to you at the "trade" price on your very first order and even if just for one piece. Now, if I remember correctly, his web site price is for on-line orders. If you call and arrange an order, he gives you the other pricing.

It appears that the price has gone up a few pennies since I last ordered, however, for examples sake, this is a few off of the list I have from last year:

Size in "= Retail/Trade(1-499)/Trade(500-up)
3/16" = .42/.27/.19
3/8" = 1.06/.70/.50
3/4" = 1.41/.91/.65
1 1/2" = 2.28/1.46/1.04
2" = 3.83/2.44/1.74
4" = 5.98/3.79/2.71
6" = 8.29/5.25/3.75

This should change the way you look at it TCLynx, I hope.
Mathew

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '08, 01:22 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Johnny,
Especially if you have a sight disadvantage, be sure to do two simple things when putting the Uniseals together.

1. try to bevel the out side edge of the pipe you plan insert into the Uniseal.
2. put some soap and water on both surfaces, Uniseal and pipe, before you try to slip them together.

This will make assembly much easier, and safer, no busted fingers. Also, if you ever need to remove the pipe from the Uniseal, put more soap and water on the outside of the pipe and Uniseal and push them "more" together, so as to take some of the soap down into the fitting, then pulling them apart is easy. In some cases you may be able to simply push the pipe all the way through. If you ever decide that you don't want that pipe there anymore, just cut it off as short as necessary and cap it off, it won't leak and you did not waste any pipe.

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '08, 07:36 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

yes that is a very cool little device. it sure beats chopping a T out of a pipe run

i sure wish we all could get a return on the cost of all the buggered fittings we have all had over the years. :shock:

PostPosted: Dec 20th, '08, 00:33 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: YES
I used uniseals on my home made polygeyser bio filter. Im sold! I plan to use these for everything :)

PostPosted: Jan 10th, '09, 04:50 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

1.49 on 1/2' and 3/4

and i think it was 2.14 for the 1"

i just ordered 20 of each

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '09, 06:27 
A posting God
A posting God

Anyone in WA know where you can buy Uniseals here? I have tried a number of places and no one has even heard of them.

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '09, 07:14 

I just want to make a recommendation that instead of using soap to get the pipes to go through the uniseasl easier, use some rubbing alcohol instead!!!! Reason I say this, soap can be a pain to rinse off well enough to keep from hurting fish!!!!!!!! I've also hear people told to use windex for this. Again, can have things harmful to fish so would require extra rinsing. Rubbing alcohol will evaporate away and does make stuff slippery enough. This is really handy especially if making modifications or repairs to a system with fish in it where it would be impossible to safely rinse the soap away. Another thing that can be used to make stuff slippery for this purpose is aquarium safe silicone but you have to let it cure before it is fish safe so not as convenient for repairs or modifications to currently running systems. I've used the rubbing alcohol trick and never had any problems with any of my fish from it. (I'm known to shut off the system for an hour to quickly hook additions up to the system and whack in new pvc plumbing. So far no negative fish effects from the alcohol to slip pvc through uniseals nor any problems with PVC primer or cement for the plumbing work.

Tower System
PeePonics