All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Sep 9th, '10, 20:50 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: no comment
I was just flicking through a supply catalogue today checking out prices for air pumps and noticed a new product the suppliers haven't told me about, Aquapro now make air pumps with a built in battery backup I will investigate more and find out sizes and more, sounds less complicated and alot cheaper than relays and ups etc. Sorry but this is an xtreme obsession.lol

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 9th, '10, 21:03 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Battery backup using a bank of gel cells and a fallover switch made using the reay simo links to from Jaycar. Runs a 12 volt air pump with two stones attached, will run for near on 2 days. The big pump in the box is 240 volt and runs 15 on 15 off all day everyday so long as 240 volt is available. CTEK charger is a smart charger and will happily maintain the batteries and then recharge them after use.

Attachments:
Backup 02.jpg
Backup 02.jpg [ 36.22 KiB | Viewed 3041 times ]

PostPosted: Sep 10th, '10, 07:36 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Burnsy, why switch the 240V air pump on and off? to save power?
Ive used those 12v air pumps, whilst good they get hot and dont last that long, yours looks a bit better though
Ctek chargers are excellent... expensive but good. I like the toolbox idea too

PostPosted: Sep 10th, '10, 19:28 
Legend Member
Legend Member

jet wrote:
Burnsy, why switch the 240V air pump on and off? to save power?

Just to make it last longer, we get great oxygenation just through pumping and realistically should not need the air as long as we have 240 volt to run the pumps. Animal ethics committee (this is a school system) think otherwise though, so running it 15 minutes on 15 minutes off means it does not get to hot and hopefully it will last twice as long.

PostPosted: Sep 10th, '10, 21:43 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: After midday.
Could argue the other way as well that the constant starting/stopping will wear it out faster. :evil2:

PostPosted: Sep 11th, '10, 20:22 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Privatteer wrote:
Could argue the other way as well that the constant starting/stopping will wear it out faster. :evil2:

You could but I don't care enough to argue about it :bootyshake:

PostPosted: Dec 24th, '10, 10:48 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Im thinking of using a wind turbine into a battery bank, then to an inverter and on the pumps. Ideas?

PostPosted: Dec 24th, '10, 12:24 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

The back up situation really depends on the amount of dollars you CAN spend and what you really need ie how much in fish replacement costs if it fails...... You can spend a little or alot being for different modules...... I am lucky enough we dont have to worry about it much as we on the farm have a 50KVA genset that runs the 3 houses and 3 worksheds and coolroom when needed..... I also have a small 900 watt cheap genset that runs for 3 hrs my pumps 400 watt onga and 180 watt sump pump and air pumps will runn on this pump and it was cheap.... so this being a last option I could run the system conbtinious for 3 hrs to build up the oxygen and run the system properly then leave it off for 2-3 hrs then do that again and it wouldnt be a problem for 2-3 days if really needed so maybe that is the way to go for people ??? genset only cost 3-400 dollars and i have a 30,000 ltr system..... so maybe look at this sort of thing as part of a backup system with a couple of older 12 or 6 volt batteries and inverter ... :)

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '11, 22:05 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: I hope so
Hi all,
after seeing Simo's photo of a barrow load of silvers that were plate or nearly plate size due to a recent power outage :support: (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6167&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=240) I immediatly came here to see what I needed to know about backups. :wave1: After reading all I could find here and elsewhere I have come up with a possible backup system for my soon (June) to be installed system which will consist of;
1 X 3000l main tank
1 x 1000l sump
I'm starting with 2 grow beds and will expand to 4. I have lots of water in relation to beds/fish so that the margin for error is big so if there is a power failure or some other problem this gives me some extra buffer.
A 240v pump in both the main tank and sump, say 125w and 65w respectively (total of say 200w with timer).

I have been reading about backup systems using 12v pumps (for a waterfall) or aerators however with a sump tank I need to have a pump or aerator in both.

Looking at
- the cost of these 2 pumps
- the need to ensure that the retuning water to the sump tank is pumped back to the main tank so the sump tank does not overflow.
- the possibility that the power could be out for several hours where the backup system would need to cover a max of 10 hours assuming the power went out on the way to work. (geni to be used when I am home or for long term outages)
- the need for the system to also power longer outages when on holidays and no one is home to connect the geni in other words needs to be expandable to meet future needs.
- need to keep water running into the beds, especially in summer to maximise production and quality.

I wondered why i would need to have a separate system when I should already have a perfectly good and functioning system (pumps, pipes, timers etc) already in place.
So.... I looked at having a
- Backup power switch to switch to 12 v power in the event of an outage
- connect this to a 400w inverter