All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 8th, '06, 09:26 

Are you human?: yes
Thanks Andy, I am going to order one of those.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 8th, '06, 09:30 

To a non-tech kind of guy (me) this seems to be much more simple than some of the other creations/inventions discussed and $86 (includes postage) seems like reasonable insurance. Also comes with 12 month warranty.

PostPosted: Nov 27th, '06, 00:16 
Legend Member
Legend Member

[font=Times New Roman] [/font] I am new. This thread was very interesting. I am an electrical engineer and live on 10acres(4hectares) in Michigan, USA. I will run my entire 3000 gallon system on 12 VDC. I will use 120vac water and air pumps through inverters. The batteries I have in my system are golf cart 6vdc deep cycle ($50 each at discount store). Two in series give me 12vdc. They are 105ah batteries and I use four in series & parallel. So I have 210ah of 12 vdc. I can add to this as needed. The charging is done through a solar panel charge controller (SPCC). My SPCC is capable of a 40 amp charge input and cost $120US. A 10 amp SPCC is about $60US. I am using a 30amp 15 volt power supply hooked to 120vac to charge the system. The SPCCs are very sophisticated. They eeck make life from the batteries by doing fast/trickle/desulfonating as is best for the battery. Someday, solar panels will replace the 120vac charger. Solar panels need to come down in price! Mean time, I have a continuously backed up system because the system is always running on deep cycle batteries. :D

I will study my power needs in anticipation of using solar panels. BTW Michigan is extremely cloudy and cold in the winter. The batteries will often bridge the gap to a sunny day here.

Steve knows his batteries. The amp hours stated on a battery is for one spacific set of discharge conditions and a brand new (never before deep cycled battery). Generally, the batteries do best if discharged at lower currents. For a 210 ah 12 vdc battery, something below 210ah/20hrs ~ 10amps. Five amps for about 40 hours would be comfortable for relatively new batteries. If I need more current than that, I will add more sets of two batteries.

Golf cart batteries are better than marine deep cycle batteries. They are using heavier lead plates. The heaviest are batteries made for solar home power systems (like L50). The golf cart batteries at $50 was a money/performance optimum for me.

I am an embedded controller automation system designer and my system will be automated for my greater fun. I will use an embedded controller computer hooked to the internet and I will be able to check it and control it from anywhere on earth (summer of 2006 I was looking in on the system from Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory (4,000 miles from home base).

This new member is obviously long winded. Sorry.

PostPosted: Nov 27th, '06, 00:35 
Legend Member
Legend Member

[font=Times New Roman] [/font] BTW DO meters can be found for $220US at Aquatic Eco Systems [google it]. Before I start my system in spring 2007, I will buy a DO and a pH meter and test kits for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, phosphorus, and hardness. Starting with new fish in a new system with new bacteria and new plants, I do not want to fly by the seat of my pants. Anybody get their system started on bottled ammonia water before adding fish? Then the bacteria would be present on day one for the fish. Does that work? How long does it take? Can you buy bacteria starter mix in an aquarium store? Starting with 3000 gallons and a filter in a 100 gallon stock tank full of filter media and 271 sq ft of biospheres. Grow tables will be deep flow [DFT].

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '06, 05:08 

Hey Doug,

Try and get your hands on some sludge from a healthy aquarium filter, and use some old aquarium water if you can. I has my system cycled in 10 days doing it this way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '06, 06:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

monya wrote:
Hey Doug,

Try and get your hands on some sludge from a healthy aquarium filter, and use some old aquarium water if you can. I has my system cycled in 10 days doing it this way
I am not running an aquarium now. Maybe I should start a 20 gallon for this purpose. Thanks for the info Monya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '06, 06:13 

Yeah, I just used mine from a water change from my 200 litre goldie tank and it's cartridge sludge. It really helps things along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '06, 15:19 

just surv i ved our first AP blackout with the help of my 750 watt gmc gennie. hadn't been started for months. lucky my dad was here to get it out and it fired on the 5th pull, and ran the whole system. One thing we are going to do is put solenoids on the drain pipes so that the 12 volt backup power will shut off the flow to the sump so that the sump doesn't overflow if we are not around to fire up the gen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '06, 15:32 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Hey, that is a good idea Monya, I had not thought of that - re the sump water etc during a blackout, I will have to devise a mod for my system based around your suggestion.
Muzza.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '06, 15:36 

I have given th ejob of setting it up to my old man, get him a bit involved and I know he will do it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 17th, '07, 15:55 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

How are all you Victorians going, did you get your back-up power sorted out before the power went down? More importantly did it work? (Or did it just scare you enough to think that you'd better organise something?)

PostPosted: Jan 17th, '07, 18:43 
Spam Assassin (Be afraid!)
Spam Assassin     (Be afraid!)

Hello!

Hello!

Hello! Gosh, where is everybody? What a quiet night :?

Maybe, they're all caught in a blackout?

{echoes bounce off the walls, nobody answers, sobs of loneliness, "who will talk AP to me now?" :cry: }

................................................................. . Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 17th, '07, 19:43 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

G'day Jaymie, I've been watching the ladies tennis :shock: - have no idea who won tho :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 17th, '07, 19:44 
Spam Assassin (Be afraid!)
Spam Assassin     (Be afraid!)

it's just another cider ... what day is it? oh! Mon.. no Wendesday!

................................................................. . Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 18th, '07, 08:24 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: no
Love the avatar KE14th, Love the ladies tennis EKB, Love the ciders Jaymie...
Gotta lotta love ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next