All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Sketchup components
PostPosted: Jan 13th, '11, 20:54 
earthbound wrote:
Still I am a happy android user so can't complain too much..

:headbang:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '12, 07:10 

Are you human?: YES
Earthbound, the link you posted doesn’t appear to be working. How might I access your “whole shooting match?” Thanks for offering it up.

PostPosted: Oct 2nd, '12, 10:55 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when caffeinated
earthbound wrote:
I've uploaded the whole shooting match here: http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/Travi ... onents.skb

Note to anyone trying to use this file -- change the "skb" file extension to "skp" and it will actually load for you. :)

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'" ~Dave Barry

PostPosted: Oct 3rd, '12, 12:46 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Thanks for the fix G2N, I'd missed this..

I tried to upload it to the warehouse just now but it's not working, will try again a bit later, if it's in the warehouse things will be far simpler..

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Oct 5th, '12, 12:39 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when caffeinated
No prob. The components were too nice to give up on; I had to figure it out. :)

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'" ~Dave Barry

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '12, 05:04 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Yes. Yes I am.
earthbound wrote:
I've uploaded the whole shooting match here: http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/Travi ... onents.skb

The file is about 8MB all up but you get IBC's, blue barrels cut either way, and all of our gear. All these are drawn to scale and you can just delete what you don't want.

You might want to right click and "save as" with the above link.

Attachment:
AP System Updated Components (Medium).jpg

That is beautiful :notworthy:

As noted by G2N, rename the extension to .skp to get it to work :cheers:

sickpuppies' future IBC System [Planning stages] - for my forever home

PostPosted: Jul 15th, '16, 10:38 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Here is a link to a sketch I shared on the sketchup website. If the link does not work... it is called.... "30ft x 24ft Low Maintenance and Low Power Aquaponics Greenhouse with Wicking Beds." So now you can look it up.

It has a 15ft above ground pool at it's core. However, that could be replaced with a 1500gal water storage tank that is partially buried in the ground and has a much smaller footprint. That would keep the water cooler too.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... 8d80bdb242

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '16, 00:38 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
Does anyone know of a source of sketchup models of metric PVC fittings?

ie everything in PVC that you might find in Bunnings?

My brain woke up for a second, and the first thing it asked for was information about PVC, which probably means I'm about to have a thought of some kind.

It will be the first in a while, so it might need a bit of a push from sketchup. Normally I see these things in my head quite clearly, but the other side of stuff rotating in my mind is a little hazy at the moment.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '16, 23:51 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
BullwinkleII wrote:
Does anyone know of a source of sketchup models of metric PVC fittings?

ie everything in PVC that you might find in Bunnings?

I myself am still learning to use sketchup. I just changed the settings in the lower right measurement tab to Standard and typed in how long/wide I wanted the pipes to be when I drew them out. Then saved the component and can now bring it into other drawings and use as many times as I like. You can do the same thing for Metric. Strait pipe is easy... but the fittings are a bit of a pain. I found most of those just by doing a search for them in the 3D warehouse... and only had to draw a couple.

PostPosted: Jul 17th, '16, 02:29 

Are you human?: Yep
I found all the fittings in USA measurements.

I can always create a tube of the right size in sketchup, but I'm actually building a device rather than just plumbing an aquaponics system, so I want to see the "off the shelf" components in their detail.

I want to know how much internal space I have... say.. when I join a length of 90mm storm pipe to an elbow joint.

I'm trying to fit electronics into PVC pipes and as a result need to know ALL the dimensions of all the fittings.

I'm guessing that somewhere out there, there is a company that has all their PVC products out there as sketchup models

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Aug 10th, '17, 22:29 

BullwinkleII

I, have a link for one manufacture of fittings that shows all the demensions, will post it when I find it on whichever 3 external hard drives it on. Right now trying to upload it to the cloud.

But for now the following may get you to what your looking for, I've used them for other items that are hard to find.

It’s powerful. Here’s why. Meet 3D Warehouse

https://www.sketchup.com/programs/3dwh-manufacturers

This is a more expensive feature to Sketch Up, but with over 40 million pages and content, you should be able to find what your looking for.

+4,000,000 Models uploaded to the world’s most used 3D content marketing library

+20,000,000 Model downloads each month by architects, interior designers and others

+23,000,000 Annual users browsing, searching and downloading 3D content

+800,000,000 3D Warehouse annual page views

https://www.sketchup.com/programs/3dwh-manufacturers

Last edited by Tommie on Aug 10th, '17, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug 10th, '17, 22:42 

SketchUp Make and SketchUp Pro
/ Creating a 3D Model
/ Drawing Lines, Shapes, and 3D Objects
/ Scaling Your Model or Parts of Your Model

Scaling Your Model or Parts of Your Model

In SketchUp, you can resize and reshape your model based on the relative sizes of your edges and faces. Here's a quick overview of the available options:
•Scale your entire model with the Tape Measure tool.
•Resize entities while maintaining their proportions with either the Tape Measure tool or the Scale tool.
•Stretch or squish an entity to scale with the Scale tool. For example, stretch a cabinet so it's twice its current width or narrow a car by 5 percent.
•Scale a single component or every component in your model.

The following video shows how the Scale tool can scale geometry proportionally or stretch its dimensions.

If you're looking for details about scaling your entire model or detailed steps that walk you through SketchUp's scaling features, check out the sections later in this article.

Table of Contents 1.Scaling your entire model
2.Scaling a selection proportionally
3.Stretching or squishing geometry to scale
4.Scaling components

Scaling your entire model

When you want to scale your entire model, use the Tape Measure tool.

Tip: The Tape Measure tool enables you to scale precisely by specifying the desired dimension between two points. This line is referred to as the reference line.

To scale an entire model, such as the floor plan in this example, follow these steps:
1. Select the Tape Measure tool () or press the T key. The cursor changes to a tape measure.
2. Measure the distance between two points on your model. In this example, say you know the width of the stairs needs to be 48 inches. Here's how to measure that distance:
1.Click one end of a line segment to set the starting point of a measurement. Use the SketchUp inference engine to make sure you click the exact point.
2.Move the mouse to the end point of the same line segment. As you move the mouse, a temporary measuring tape line, with arrows at each end, stretches out from your starting point.
3.Click at the other end of the line segment, as shown in the figure. The final distance appears in the Measurements box.

3. Type a new size for the line, which appears in the Measurements box, and press Enter (Microsoft Windows) or Return (Mac OS X). This size is the basis for a proportional rescale of your model. In this example, the reference line is scaled to 48”.

Tip: You can use imperial or metric units. SketchUp understands both. Just be sure to specify your desired unit if it's not your template's default unit of measurement.

4. When the following dialog box asks whether you want to resize your model, click the Yes button, and the model is rescaled proportionally.

Scaling a selection proportionally

When you want to resize geometry within your model and maintain its proportions, you can use either the Tape Measure tool or the Scale tool. Your choice depends on how you want to set the scale:
•To base the scale on the size of a specific line, use the Tape Measure. For example, you find out one room in your floor plan can only be 10 feet wide, but the rest of the floor plan can stay the same. Or you know a statue must be 3 meters tall.
•To resize your selection based on a percentage of your original size, use the Scale tool. For example, choose this method if you want to increase your selection's size by 200% or decrease it to 50%.

To scale part of your model with the Tape Measure, follow these steps:
1. With the Select tool (), select the entities you want to scale.
2. Context-click your selection and, from the context menu that appears, select Make Group.
3. Double-click the group. A box of dashed lines appears around the group, indicating that you've opened the group, as shown in the figure.

4. Select the Tape Measure tool () or press the T key.
5. Click one end point of your reference line. Use the SketchUp inference engine to make sure you click the exact end point.
6. Click the other end point of your reference line. The current distance appears in the Measurements box, as shown in the figure. In the example, say you need to decrease this width to 10 feet, due to issues on the site where the floor plan will be built.

7. Type a new size for the line (in this example, you type 10') and press the Enter (Microsoft Windows) or Return (Mac OS X) key. This size will be used as the basis for a proportional rescale of your model. SketchUp asks whether you want to resize your group or component.
8. Click the Yes button, and your selection rescaled proportionally. Check out the result in the following figure. That's a much smaller room.

Note: This process also works with components. See Adding Premade Components and Dynamic Components for an introduction to components. The Scaling components section later in this article explains how scaling only affects a single component or all component instances in a model.

When you want to scale your model proportionally by a percentage, the Scale tool can do the job easily. Imagine you're not sure how to talk to your client about decreasing a room in their floor plan to 10 feet wide, so you model an elephant in the room while you think it over. Here's how to scale that elephant, or any other selection in your model, by a percentage:
1. With the Select tool (), select the geometry you want to scale. This step is important if you want to scale a complex 3D selection. If you have an easy selection, like a 2D shape or a surface entity, you can skip this step.
2. Select the Scale tool () or press the S key. A yellow box with green grips appears around your selection, as shown in the figure. If you skipped Step 1, click the geometry with the Scale tool cursor.

3. For a uniform scaling, or one that keeps your selection proportional, click a corner scaling grip. The selected grip and the opposite scaling grip turn red, as shown in the following figure, and in the Measurements box, you see a scale of 1.00, which means your geometry is at its original size, or scaled to 100%.

4. Move the cursor to scale the entity. The Measurements box displays the scale dynamically. Press the Esc key at any point to start over. To set the scale from the center instead of the opposite corner, hold down the Ctrl key (Windows) or the Option key (Mac OS X) while you move the red corner grip.
5. Click to set your selection's new scale. Or type the desired scale dimensions and press Enter (Microsoft Windows) or Return (Mac OS X).

Note: Technically, in Step 5, you can type a dimension, such as 2m or 3", instead of a scale dimension. However, scaling based on a dimension with the Tape Measure is generally more intuitive.

Stretching or squishing geometry to scale

Sometimes, you need to scale only one dimension of a model (or maybe two). To do so, use the Scale tool's edge or face grips. Here's how the process works, using a cabinet as an example:
1. With the Select tool (), select the geometry you want to scale. This step is important for a complex a 3D selection. Skip this step for an easy selection, like a 2D shape or a surface entity.
2. Select the Scale tool () or press the S key. A yellow box with green grips appears around your selection. If you skipped Step 1, click the geometry with the Scale tool cursor.
3. Click an edge or face grip (not a corner grip). The selected grip and the opposite scaling grip turn red, as shown in the figure, and in the Measurements box, you see a scale of 1.00, which means your geometry is at its original size, or scaled to 100%. The Measurements box also displays the axis direction for your scale, such as Blue Scale or Red Scale. If you select an edge grip, you see two axes, such as Red, Green Scale.

4. Move the cursor to scale the entity. The Measurements box displays the scale dynamically. Press the Esc key at any point to start over. To set the scale from the center instead of the opposite edge or face, hold down the Ctrl key (Windows) or the Option key (Mac OS X) while you move the red corner grip.
5. Click to set your selection's new scale. Or type the desired scale dimensions, and press Enter (Microsoft Windows) or Return (Mac OS X). To set the scale on two or even three axes, type two or three numbers, each separated by a comma, such as 3,2. In this example, you see the original cabinet was scaled to be twice as wide but half the height.

Tip: If you have trouble controlling the scale direction, try repositioning the drawing axes to your selection. To do so, select Tools > Axes from the menu bar. With the Axes tool cursor, click corner you want to use to align the drawing axes. Then move the cursor so that it snaps the edge to which you want to align your inferred axis and click to confirm the change. (The inference is red, green, or blue depending on the direction you move your cursor.) See Adjusting the Drawing Axes for details about working with the drawing axes.

Scaling components

You can use these scale techniques on components as well as everyday geometry. (See Adding Premade Components and Dynamic Components for an introduction to components.) When you scale a component, however, you can resize a single instance of the component or all component instances in your model:
• Scaling a component changes only the individual instance. This feature allows you to have differently scaled versions of the same component in your model. To scale a single instance, click the component instance with the Scale tool and use the grips to set the new scale, using any Scale tool technique explained earlier in this article. The following figure shows scaling a door component downloaded from the 3D Warehouse.

• Scaling an entity within a component scales every component instance. To scale an entity in a component, you need to open the component by double-clicking it. Dashed lines appear around the component, and the lines and faces within the component become editable, as shown in the following figure. With the component open, you can, for example, scale a line entity. This action affects the component definition and, therefore, all instances of the component are scaled to match. With the component open, you can select a line, and therefore can scale with either the Scale tool or the Tape Measure tool, as explained earlier in this article. Note, however, that a uniform scale using the Tape Measure tool is often the easiest way to scale all components in a model.