All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 21st, '15, 07:15 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
For AP to go mainstream to will take a big outside force to change our minset. The alternative is just to easy. To bring AP into the city means to bring nature into the city. But the city is our alternative to nature almost the opposite in fact. We ran from nature into the city. So how do we design natural AP for the city environment? Did you look at what support services would be needed? Eg.. municipal AP water plumbed to every building?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 21st, '15, 07:25 

This is the idea to come back to the natural nutrition, fertilization, composting, reborning, refreshing, etc. Trying to make it the first as close to the life cycle as possible and the second to exhaust benefits for surrounding, not pollutions. (Sorry for answering in a hurry)

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '15, 05:02 

Damian wrote:
For AP to go mainstream to will take a big outside force to change our minset. The alternative is just to easy. To bring AP into the city means to bring nature into the city. But the city is our alternative to nature almost the opposite in fact. We ran from nature into the city. So how do we design natural AP for the city environment? Did you look at what support services would be needed? Eg.. municipal AP water plumbed to every building?

Sorry for my late response but last time I used phone to answer you.
I suggest you to read the paper and ask for specific part of it. There is no point to design natural AP because it is a contradiction itself. Moreover - everything designed by humans is artificial. Culture holds its name from (agri-)culture - the first moment when human tried to get independent from nature (what is imposible yet). The point is that today's technologies solve only particular problems but creates much more problems to solve, and sometimes we can see them after many years. One reason is that we still didn't learn from nature that the act of creation has to be nature-like balanced. I wrote a paper (my first one published) about this topic, and also my Ph.D. dissertation is about the influences of modern technologies on urban spatial structures (work in progress).

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '15, 05:39 

Plato wrote:
Hi, long time lurker. New poster, hoping to some day have their own system. I am finishing a Ph.D. in Political Science. My work focuses on public opinion in the US South, so public policy is not my forte.

I gave your paper the cursory look through and I had a couple of questions.

First, what does this biosphere look like in practice? Second, if the idea is to merge aquaponics into cities by helping figure out how to scale them? Third and most important to me is the question of policy recommendations. What would you recommend to policy makers and how have similar projects fared?

Hi again,
To answer your questions:
1. The shape and size of the structure depends on existing buildings, on local spatial law (master plans), and/or on architectural design of the new buildings. In the first case we need to know it is possible to attach the installation to the building (physically/mechanically) and if the building can support it with its exhausts (warmth, CO2, bio-wastes, graywater). Flat roof, entrance possibility, mechanical ventilation, strength of the structure are some of examples. Second case is hard to omit and needs really forecasting planners. The last one depends on creative developers/owners and skilled architects. Also the shape and size depends on the purpose of AP (use in local shops/restaurants or self-harvest use only).
Answers for 2. & 3. are already included in the 1st one, aren't they? The best is to see the case studies but every case is and will be different. That's why I decided to draw a scheme at the end. It's a simple scheme but still more complicated that majority of possible installations. First of all it will be expensive in version "All Included" what is in opposition to the idea of having cheap, fresh, local food. To make it more cost efficient it suppose to begin in the cores of the cities and after the idea go popular (and cheap) spread to surrounding neighbourhoods, towns. And the contratack of homemade aquaponics from another flanc, of course ;)

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '15, 05:53 

Off-topic:
May I suggest moderators to create the topic: "Research"? It may be helpful to present here some works found in scientific journals. The best way to search for it is Scholar.Google.com, and scientific social networks like Academia.edu and ResearchGate.net

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '15, 08:48 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I find the title of the later very wide and encompassing yet your personal viewpoints is seemingly narrow. City dwellings are multistory or other words vertical so how does this effect planing.... if every roof top is covered in Aquaponics would that be enough to feed the city dwellers? Is that what you are trying to achive?

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '15, 09:08 

You can imagine that a whole empty plot could be used for building a new multistorey structure connected to the surrounding neighborhood. I is up to the possibilities and purposes.
Every month this year you can read about new vertical farm. What is lacking id that they use grid energy and tap water because of old school way of thinking about inventions - solve particular problem and forget about problems you just created.
I will give you another example: biofarm with gealfy food is ok but when you buy it (food from there) in a store going there by your car, and take it from the fringe in the shop (to put it to your own fringe), and this food came to the shop in a freezer-truck coming from 100 miles away biofarm - it's no longer "bio" but "toxic" if you count how much fossil fuels were burned to produce energy for all this cooling and transporting. If it's on place you don't need to transport it mechanically but with your bike, and you can eat it just after harvesting in your house or restaurant - fresh, without cooling it. And the rest that was not eaten and its old you throw to the special composting bin so services can bring it back to the urban agriculture facilities to be used as fertilisers. Voila!

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '15, 16:51 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Ok so what problems can you identify with the current AP system in cities?

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '15, 19:35 

The biggest problem is people's mentality and consciousness :) From this everything begins or not

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '15, 20:20 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

By people who do you mean exactly? The consumer of food? The growers of food? City planers?

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '15, 20:33 

In general the social consciousness

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '15, 21:11 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Witch groups you think need to change consciousness first.

I have to admit I rally don't know what you at trying to accomplish at this moment

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '15, 21:23 

Oh, I see. Let say it's about braking with actual system which is old-schooled (XIX-century) and focused on industrial capital instead of common wealth. So the first group should be the children (basic education). Education focused on participation, social responsibility including future generations, and consciousness about the limits to growth. Millenials could be the avant garde of this social mind change.

PostPosted: Oct 10th, '17, 04:43 

Hi there!
How are you? I have not been here for a long time!
I just listened to a podcast about the future (in Polish). It mentioned that producing food inside cities is the necessary future. I hope your backyard aquaponics could turn into downtown aquaponics!
My research turned into the future of mobility, yet food transportation is environmentally unfriendly, therefore I am somehow connected to the paper I posted here years ago.
I look forward to keep hearing from you.

BTW. October 19th - November 18th I will travel to the U.S. and Canada: Portland, Seattle and Vancouver - if you are there and would like to meet :)

Warm wishes,
Piotr