All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '13, 18:37 

Are you human?: YES
http://www.i55mall.com/aquaponics/

some of you may have actually posted there at some point.. it goes from 1997-2002!

I just thought it was pretty cool.. I think it was set up by the Speraneos?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '13, 21:27 

Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
+10,000

Yep this is how I got started in AP, before this forum the S&S email list was AP central. Folks coming to AP now through Youtube or the other forums sometimes think it is a recent invention ("invented by Australian scientists in 2006" or something equally silly, actually read that on a recent commercial AP site)

Plant and fish pictures are money

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '13, 21:49 

Wow, thats soooo nintendo 64

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 04:18 

Dave Donley wrote:
+10,000

Yep this is how I got started in AP, before this forum the S&S email list was AP central. Folks coming to AP now through Youtube or the other forums sometimes think it is a recent invention ("invented by Australian scientists in 2006" or something equally silly, actually read that on a recent commercial AP site)

lol yea every single person I've talked to here in the US has never even heard about it.. EVERY person.. I guess they think it's a brand new idea. In terms of technology and putting it to some real use it's kind of new but a lot of people don't know how far back people really started using aqauculture and hydroponics together.. but I'm slowly spreading the concept of aquaponics and while some people think it's awesome, around this area you don't get too many farmers or people into agriculture unless you're growing tobacco or corn lol

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 05:30 

Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
Preach on Brother TN!

Plant and fish pictures are money

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 06:35 

I don't know how far back AP really goes. There were some people back in the 70's doing stuff that would be called AP today but was barely mentioned back then. They were just growing some plants in their Aquaculture filter :dontknow:

I bet AP crops up regularly if you look back through history with a liberal view of what AP is (I can think of some examples but you probably have already). I think now is just one of those periods where the right people have the information they need to make it work. It's gotten to this stage thanks in part to people like the Speraneo's and Joel (along with many others). Most of the people who have been on the forum longer are aware of them and their contribution. :notworthy:

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 09:20 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Brings back memories... Some familiar names there, and it doesn't seem like 10 years or more since I was on there. Funny how the same sort of discussions are still happening after all these years.. Here's a great post by Ted about the game of aquaponics...

Quote:
Subject: Re: Cleaning Grow Beds in S&S system
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:10:41 -0500

When playing aquaponic or wastewater treatment bio-carburetor chess,
Oxygen is the Queen, Organic Carbon is the King. The Grand Royal pair
which must be sufficient but not heavy handed and should waltz around the
palace in balance.

Nitrogen Bishops. Phosphorus Knights. Potassium Rooks.
Minor and trace minerals are the pawns.

The checkerboard is water flow, solar energy, photosynthesis, respiration,
enzymes, aeration, recirculation, substrate, time, space,and frequency. I
am not sure where Sod Yurts, Plaid Bermuda Shorts, Mandelbrot Sets, Duct
Tape and Smoked Crawdads fit into this extemporaneous, ad hoc picture I am
painting, but put just go ahead and toss them in there if you want.....This
game applies to the surface world of aerobic respiration and
eukaryotic/prokaryotic symbiotic interaction.

The dark underworld of anaerobic digestion and fermentation, an antedeluvian
world which existed before Gollum lost his ring and before Hobbits grew
beards on their feet, has a different Royal Family. The Queen is gone
missing.

Checkmate!

Ted

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 13:13 

Dave Donley wrote:
Preach on Brother TN!

:thumbleft:

scotty435 wrote:
I don't know how far back AP really goes. There were some people back in the 70's doing stuff that would be called AP today but was barely mentioned back then. They were just growing some plants in their Aquaculture filter :dontknow:

I bet AP crops up regularly if you look back through history with a liberal view of what AP is (I can think of some examples but you probably have already). I think now is just one of those periods where the right people have the information they need to make it work. It's gotten to this stage thanks in part to people like the Speraneo's and Joel (along with many others). Most of the people who have been on the forum longer are aware of them and their contribution. :notworthy:

I'm sure the most notable would be the Aztecs and their "Chinampas" :D

earthbound wrote:
Brings back memories... Some familiar names there, and it doesn't seem like 10 years or more since I was on there. Funny how the same sort of discussions are still happening after all these years.. Here's a great post by Ted about the game of aquaponics...

Quote:
Subject: Re: Cleaning Grow Beds in S&S system
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:10:41 -0500

When playing aquaponic or wastewater treatment bio-carburetor chess,
Oxygen is the Queen, Organic Carbon is the King. The Grand Royal pair
which must be sufficient but not heavy handed and should waltz around the
palace in balance.

Nitrogen Bishops. Phosphorus Knights. Potassium Rooks.
Minor and trace minerals are the pawns.

The checkerboard is water flow, solar energy, photosynthesis, respiration,
enzymes, aeration, recirculation, substrate, time, space,and frequency. I
am not sure where Sod Yurts, Plaid Bermuda Shorts, Mandelbrot Sets, Duct
Tape and Smoked Crawdads fit into this extemporaneous, ad hoc picture I am
painting, but put just go ahead and toss them in there if you want.....This
game applies to the surface world of aerobic respiration and
eukaryotic/prokaryotic symbiotic interaction.

The dark underworld of anaerobic digestion and fermentation, an antedeluvian
world which existed before Gollum lost his ring and before Hobbits grew
beards on their feet, has a different Royal Family. The Queen is gone
missing.

Checkmate!

Ted

lol that's funny. I actually came across the site because I was trying to find the manual they wrote or something? I read about it somewhere in another document but I can't find anything the Speraneos have written. Is it still in circulation?

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 14:42 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
I have a copy of their manual.. I think you'll find that there's far better information around now for free, and I don't think Paula would mind me saying so. When I bought it 12-13 years back it was in need of some updating. I don;t think they have sold it in many years, I haven't heard of it being for sale anyway.. Don't get me wrong, at the time it was brilliant, well it was the only AP information, and I recommended it to many people in the early years.

There's about 50 times more information you can download here for free in various documents... http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/infor ... downloads/

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 15:04 

earthbound wrote:
I have a copy of their manual.. I think you'll find that there's far better information around now for free, and I don't think Paula would mind me saying so. When I bought it 12-13 years back it was in need of some updating. I don;t think they have sold it in many years, I haven't heard of it being for sale anyway.. Don't get me wrong, at the time it was brilliant, well it was the only AP information, and I recommended it to many people in the early years.

There's about 50 times more information you can download here for free in various documents... http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/infor ... downloads/

I actually downloaded all of the links/pdf's here and was trying to compile a huge list of stuff to read new and old so that I may be able to find some tried but true methods of doing things. I want to know every in and out of this that I can. I've honestly thought about putting a poster up on my wall of something dealing with AP so I can submerse myself in it from the time I wake up until I go to sleep lol :lol: I tend to lose interest in stuff after awhile.. :cry: I'll do so much research and get overwhelmed and just drop it. But I honestly see this as something lacking badly in the US.. Every "smart" country has banned GMO's and a lot of the pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, etc we use here and we are literally developing disease and dying here left and right and people don't realize how corrupt the food industry is here.. Our politicians are being bought out like crazy it's sickening.. I'm only 20 but I want to make a huge difference in the US particularly in the Southern US where the typical mindset is "grow for money not health" I'm scared for my future and my childrens future.. Monsanto will literally control the world if they aren't stopped mark my words. When you are introducing genetically modifed fish into rivers and the ocean and you are modifying seeds and patenting them you are corrupting everything that's natural and after a few decades there won't be anymore "natural" organisms or plants left..

sorry for the rant but I'm so passionate about it and get so worked up I can't hold myself back :upset:

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 17:01 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes, arent we all ?
Thats a great Rant mate, the world needs the next generation to start ranting about all the crap thats going on out there. :thumbright:

my generation let it happen without challange, through ignorance or lazyness. :oops:

fish pond
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16559

disasters
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14491&start=30

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 17:24 

blind freddie wrote:
Thats a great Rant mate, the world needs the next generation to start ranting about all the crap thats going on out there. :thumbright:

my generation let it happen without challange, through ignorance or lazyness. :oops:

It's not any one person or generations fault in my opinion because there is no way of people knowing what is happening if it's behind closed doors.. People have just now decided to do some detective work and are speaking out about it. It literally makes me sick to my stomach when I sit and think about it from time to time.. I mean we have genetically modifed plants and organisms when they are shown to alter our DNA and cause cancer among other things.. We take in more chemicals than real food on a daily basis.. In the US, not sure about other countries, we are constantly being showered with aluminum and other metals from the sky due to chem trails and that in turn goes into the ground and water supply which makes it hard to grow things.. and you wonder why they are genetically modifying things? probably so they can grow in the metal laced soil and our heirloom seeds can't.. then who controls the food? the list goes on for days...

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 17:30 
A posting God
A posting God

Tennessee wrote:

sorry for the rant but I'm so passionate about it and get so worked up I can't hold myself back :upset:

Hey that was beautiful!

Food Inc. the doco is just like what you say.

Thanks for the rant

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 18:09 

Are you human?: most of the time...
Tennessee,

Mate sitting here with a wine reading your RANT? No not a rant at all. My missus and I still talk about that flick FOOD INC and it was a big eye opener. All I can say is thank goodness there are youths coming through this world who think as you do. We need more of it mate and no doubt I need not say it though I will. Never let the man bring you down!!!

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '13, 18:34 

jayendra wrote:
Tennessee wrote:

Hey that was beautiful!

Food Inc. the doco is just like what you say.

Thanks for the rant

Yes, I like almost all documentaries and that one is one of my favorites. I got them to show it at my high school when I was in 11th grade and I think it opened peoples eyes a little bit and made them realize they can't trust everything like they have been told.

piraterides2020 wrote:
Tennessee,

Mate sitting here with a wine reading your RANT? No not a rant at all. My missus and I still talk about that flick FOOD INC and it was a big eye opener. All I can say is thank goodness there are youths coming through this world who think as you do. We need more of it mate and no doubt I need not say it though I will. Never let the man bring you down!!!

I hope more people will start to pick up on the fact that disease has skyrocketed and there is a reason America is obese and filled with cancer and no one else is.. The hard thing to do is to make people realize our kids and our grand kids may not experience REAL food at all.. they literally may never have an option. Older folks like my grandparents argue that they are too old to make a lifestyle change and that they will die soon anyways.. my parents are too busy with work.. my friends can't see the big picture and want to live for the moment.. you almost have to wonder if anything will be done before it's too late. I know when me and my girlfriend decide to have kids after we're married we'll keep this lifestyle in the family.. maybe they'll have the option to with their kids.. :dontknow: