All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 1st, '12, 04:49 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: after coffee
I have an idea about building a fishtank and using tileboard as a liner instead of pondliner. I got the idea of building a 2x4 frame and lining it with plywood and the apply the white waterproof tileboard to the inside. It would be a much better finish, no folding at corners. I would use aquarium silicone to seam the side joint to make it water tight at seam in corners. Overall it would be about the size of a large deep freezer, and sort of look like one with the tileboard.
My concern is that I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of anyone doing this and I'm wondering if the tileboard is safe and nontoxic. It's waterproof as it is applied to shower stalls but will it hold up in the long run as it would be submerged in water. I believe the backing is masonite and the top side is that slick white waterproof coating. IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO OR DONE THIS THEMSELVES I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU, THANKS!!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 1st, '12, 11:18 

Are you human?: possibly
hi
i am a wall and floor tiler with over 20 years in the industry and have on occasions pulled out that tile board when renovating bathrooms, when the board is pulled out on the back of it i have seen watermarks over the back of the board not only on the edges but in the middle too so i am not too sure how waterproof that board really is
if the board was waterproof i wouldnt expect to see water marks in the middle of the board only on the edges where it is sealed, perhaps this is due to damage on the board eg someone hitting the board and chipping it
you could definitely try it i am not saying dont try it just sharing my experience with tile board as i have never seen it used in the way you are describing, just be aware that any chip to the board will create an area that isnt waterproofed

edit: just noticed you are in the states, your tile board maybe different to what we have in Australia?

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12199

PostPosted: Apr 1st, '12, 21:46 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks so much for your feedback. I guess I will have to research and find out what this stuff is made of. The criteria I am concerned with is number one, it being safe and non toxic. Will the material be absorbed in the water or contaminate the fish and whole system, and number two, will it break down and leak in the long run?
I really don't think it will leak, as long as it dosen't get cracked. It's about and 1/8" to 1/4" so if you install it with care should not be a problem.
I was really hoping to hear from someone that had maybe tried this before and get their input or research feedback as to what they found out or maybe even why someone did NOT go ahead and use this material!

PostPosted: Apr 1st, '12, 23:18 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: yes
I used tile board in the ground for a sump tank, but had a liner on top of it... when I pulled it out, it was full of water ....

for a test.. take a piece of PVC, silicone it to a flat piece of tileboard...

when the silicone is dry, fill the PVC with water and let it set. after 24 hours or so....see if
it has seeped through the board... also check the PH of the water as I think they use limestone in the board

jT

My GH AP System
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5259&start=0

PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '12, 01:53 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks for the input. I believe I will stay away from this idea, at least for now. I can't find any information as to what it is really made with. I would much rather be safe than sorry. After all, don't want to poison myself in the long run. I'll just stick to ibc's, hpde plastic, food grade drums, and pond liner.

PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '12, 03:04 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

have a look at this videeo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eOQOm5k_dE

PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '12, 05:50 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Ok, thanks so much! I now exactly what that pebble board is. I never thought of using that. That is only plastic. :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Apr 5th, '12, 03:40 

I built a 112 gallon aquarium with tile board and drylok. Still going strong at 4 months! I am a Master Plumber and I have seen what others have seen when remodeling showers. Water marks, mold and such. I can say that there is NO way this will leak, NO WAY. Let me know if you want details.

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '12, 05:39 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Yes, please provide me with whatever feedback you can. Thanks for the response.

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '12, 20:10 

As you can see, I filleted the corners as well as used acrylic caulk at all the seams before adding 4 coats of Drylok. I plan on building my 750 gallon tank(s) and all my grow beds like this as well.

Attachments:
tank1.jpg
tank1.jpg [ 142.38 KiB | Viewed 2190 times ]
tank2.jpg
tank2.jpg [ 181.35 KiB | Viewed 2190 times ]