All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Member skills
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '14, 04:56 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: yes
I've started plenty of threads just for my benefit :thumbright:

http://www.FishFarmers.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/fisharmers?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
http://hedgerowfarm.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/HedgerowFarmVictoria/

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 27th, '14, 22:37 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Plant Zombie
Stuart, I was a little upset that you did not give your own background. I benefited from this post because every time I read something from people like yourself I find myself wondering... What in the world do these guys do for a living? Your writing about structures, supports, etc. reminds me of bridge building documentaries I've seen. But another post explaining cutting board materials made me think you work in food processing. Regardless you guys are very thought provoking people!

In many cases it seems IT background came up as an unrelated yet somehow overlapping interest. But it also confirmed my guess that many of you are engineers, educators, and a small few actually working in commercial farming or fishing. My biggest surprise was I didn't see a single plumber in the thread.

If anyone ever has internet marketing or lead generation question I can help, as for AP, I would be lost with out all of you guys. At least today.

PostPosted: Nov 28th, '14, 07:07 
A posting God
A posting God

I started out at LSU as a Micro Biology Major and then switched to Brain Surgery. Not really...just heard this on Fox NFL Football from Terry Bradshaw. Howie Long's response: " Can you imagine getting ready for brain surgery, and this was the last face you see." lol Then Jim brown chimes in, "Brain Surgery, I didn't know that had such specific Majors at LSU. lol Those guys crack me up. I can know add a new skill to my resume. I can install metal rooking and siding and am getting very proficient with a screw gun. Drill and drive a few thousand screws over a month, and you will be too.

PostPosted: Nov 30th, '14, 02:21 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
I'm a long-term health care provider by trade and vocation (developmental disabilities, autism and mental health) with a behavioral specialization. But I'm also a fairly expert level brewer, beekeeper, indoor horticulturalist (lighting, environmental control etc), and an advanced hobbyist in angling, general gardening, other fermentation disciplines like meadmaking, winemaking, kombucha etc, and an accomplished autodidact in general :)

Happy bees and homebrews in Lyons, CO

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '14, 07:54 

Are you human?: Yes
Licenced Tree faller/chainsaw operator, smallscale sawmiller, woodturning australian hardwoods.

Hobbys inc fishing, camping, the bush, my dog, ap, the garden, timber....

A couple of action shots..

Attachments:
IMG_17510115249617.jpeg
IMG_17510115249617.jpeg [ 74.04 KiB | Viewed 1995 times ]
IMG_17491465784031.jpeg
IMG_17491465784031.jpeg [ 85.34 KiB | Viewed 1995 times ]
IMG_17450432913819.jpeg
IMG_17450432913819.jpeg [ 115.81 KiB | Viewed 1995 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 20th, '15, 21:51 

Well here it is, because Bullwinkel said I should and he knows...

My CV:
I make a buck selling workwear and sports wear online.

But regarding skills,
10yrs in electricity distribution - this means Im a qualified tech head.
I nearly became a mech. engineer, its a long story.
A while in municipal engineering, lots of time as a survey assistant.
10 years in horticulture. Includes quals in Hort, hort management and landscape design.
Qualified graphic designer. Four years sales with a printing company.
I can make signs, weld, and paint.
I can drive a car, a truck, a forklift, a boat, sail a yacht (anywhere), and once spent four years with my only private transport as a bicycle or my feet. Ive had a short go at flying small airplanes.
I can build a house, fix old cars and Im handy with fibreglass.
Some of my friends think Im an amature psychologist.
I make great beer, cider and can cook.
I like to eat all manner of things and need more fish in my diet. (just 'cause I say so)

No, really, Im not bragging.

PostPosted: Apr 21st, '15, 03:28 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am an Operating Engineer!

PostPosted: Apr 21st, '15, 06:59 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Most of the time
Great thread Bullwinkell.
Bachelor of Applied Science (chemistry with aquatic biology) including some aquaculture & fisheries management
Work in water quality, natural resource management, environmental sustainability, waste water treatment, municipal waste & recycling
Raised on a dairyfarm - Dad taught me how to fix anything with fencing wire and baling twine or make anything with stuff scrounged from the tip and Mum taught me to be anything I wanted to be and take no s#^t from anyone
Self taught artist, builder of stuff, landscape designer and dirt gardener, plumber, welder (but I leave the electical stuff to the experts)
Mother to a teenage son, chief cook and bottle washer, menagerie caretaker (dog, cat, chooks, worms, trout)
Have a wonderful, tolerant partner with complementry skills in IT, electrical stuff and woodworking
Recent AP tragic
Wannabe author - researching my grandfather's WWI diaries during his time with the graves detachment post Armistice on the Western Front. Need to spend less time on the AP and more on writing...

PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '15, 21:39 

Are you human?: Yep
I love the way this thread occasionally springs into life after having a rest for a bit.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '15, 22:44 

Are you human?: Humans err, I Arrr!
Very simular to my tomatoes. They just barely hang on, and then all of a sudden BAM, "look, I am a tree." My chard has been like that too.

My Patio System

My Indoor System

No single drop of rain believes it is responsible for the flood.

PostPosted: Apr 23rd, '15, 00:18 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Expelled from high-school age 15, whoops, missed 42 consecutive days they claimed. I hitchhiked to the East Coast, got caught in a snow snow storm for reals, honest. Grins, while on the East Coast I got a job changing tires in a VW dealership, they were nice and sent me to a dozen VWOA training camps and got several certificates and became a mechanic by age 19. I got sick of cars, went to college for electronics. During the 80's was a neat time to be into electronics, especially with my specialty, digital electronics! I got experience working for one of the first personal computer shops in 1983 as a tech. Thing was in those days nobody knew anything about personal computers, everything was a challenge, and definitely no help lines. Those were the fun times, with innovations every day and I was on the cutting edge, or as we used to say, "the bleeding edge!" I bought my first PC for $2500, and promptly fried a prototype A to D board customizing inputs for some project. that was then this is now

PostPosted: Apr 24th, '15, 09:01 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
data recovery and web design. Started out doing law after a Batchelor of Arts and found I did not like some of the lawyers I was working for, and they put me off. then went to computers and the rest is history.

PostPosted: May 24th, '15, 01:10 

Anyone want to get involved with the restoration of the Paddle Steamer Canally on the Murray River?

It's a pretty cool project that involves drinking some nice reds every so often too raise money, and maybe some woodwork, ,welding, steam engine stuff, and building a massive boat from a sunken wreck.

Or just hanging out with ducks etc.

Some stuff is worthwhile.

I need contact with a company like Duraduct to get a 6m stainless tube for steaming big lengths of wood to bend in a nice way to make boat shaped things out of stuff that isn't very boat shaped yet. We are willing to offer no money in return, so get on board before the opportunity is lost.

My system

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '16, 00:42 

Max47 wrote:
I am an Operating Engineer!

What's an Operating Engineer?

My system

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 10:38 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I run a drilling company that drills water bores in remote areas, and does the aquifer yield testing. Most of our work is in Aboriginal communities in the NT and Kimberly but occasionally we work in more urban environments.

I've spent most of my working life travelling but these days I have an anything but cushy office job and I'm home most nights.

I have a pretty strong handle on pumps/pipes/friction losses/etc etc it doesn't matter if it's out of a bore or a fish tank the principles are the same, the heads are just hopefully a little lower.

We also do a lot of work with data logging of water flow/quality/levels but to be honest the arduino experts on here are probably more useful to the forum than me. The gear we use is made by a company called insitu but is cost prohibitive for home use.

I'm lucky enough to have a workshop that often has empty IBC's of known origin and offcuts of PVC pipe kicking around, as well as trade accounts with all sorts of fun places to shop for bits and bobs

I used to do a lot of work in geophysics but I doubt that will be useful for anything here! Fixing that gear taught be a lot of hands on electronics which is slightly more useful

If anyone ever has a question about water bores feel free to sing out

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next