All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 29th, '15, 02:23 

Are you human?: yes
Hi everybody,
Firstly i apologize for my bad english, I am from France.
I have just subscribe to this forum, because I discovered aquaponic recently and I found it awesome.
I went to try to make a system but I live in a appartment so it will be an indoor system.
I want to grow nothing pretencious, I want to start only with lettuce and aromatics plants such as coriander, menth and basilic
I have bought a 180 liter aquarium (47.5 gallon). I have never had a aquarium before.
So here is my first question, do you think I should directly start with a aquaponic system or I should
firstly train myself with a simple aquarium to get some experience before running a aquaponic system ?
In this case, can I introduce the plant after the fish ?
Because the system is in my appartment, I went something pretty. Is it ok to also put some aquatic plant inside the aquarium ?
The temperature of my appartment can be between 18°C and 27°C (64°F to 80°C), if possible I would like to avoid hitting water in winter. I was thinking introduce some guppy, red cherry shrimp and Cardinal tetra, because I have been told they are easy to keep in life, and I think they are pretty. But they are small fish, do you think they will provide enought 'food' for the plant even if they are numerous in the aquarium ?
I want to put my plants in a other box but I do not know what dimension it should have (volume and area) neither how to build it or where to buy a cheap one ?
WIll I need a aquariul filter if yes should I take an external or internal filter ?
Also I would like to build myself a furniture in wood where I will put my aquarium and my plant box in top of it in wood, should I be worried about humidity and choose some specific wood for it ?
I have just learnd about automatic bell siphon and I love the concept. Is it pertinant for a small aquaponic system ? What should be the height of the water inside the plant box ?

If you read all of my bad english to here thank you a lot, and if you take time to response at least at one of my question thank you even more.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 29th, '15, 02:45 

Are you human?: YES
Welcome to the forum Strokyl :wave:

I'd just start with the aquaponic system. Your grow beds will act as your filter. You need to have plenty of light for the plants and it takes a while for the bacteria to build up. Using the right food is important and many of the flake food don't provide enough nutrients for plants so this might be a bit tricky.

Siphons are neat but on your indoor system, I would go with constant flood instead of using a siphon. I would also arrange the grow bed so that there is a secondary overflow back into the fish tank )in case the main line gets blocked by plant roots. The water inside the plant box should be about an inch below the surface of the media (the top of the media should not appear damp.

A wood stand will be fine as long as it is built well and does not stay wet for an extended period. Remember water and media weigh quite a bit so the stand must be built strong.

PostPosted: Nov 29th, '15, 02:54 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Location: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA (Until I win the lotto and move to Washington State!)
Are you human?: Last I heard...
I agree with Scotty. Cherry shrimp and guppies are easy and multiply quickly. I've never had luck with Cardinal or neon tetras in my part of the world. However, I would use fish like goldfish, which would probably provide more nutrients (poo) to the plants. Do not add many fish until the system has cycled, which usually takes a month or so.

http://www.boatgraphicspr.com
My system: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15173&hilit=puerto+rican+ponics

PostPosted: Nov 29th, '15, 05:44 

Are you human?: yes
thank you for your response. I know goldfish are great for aquaponic but I have read they are not happy in aquarium because they need a lot of pace.

PostPosted: Nov 30th, '15, 02:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Location: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA (Until I win the lotto and move to Washington State!)
Are you human?: Last I heard...
The tank size you have should be fine for a few goldfish. I would buy 20 feeder goldfish. By the time you get a better idea of what youre doing (and read about others' amazing systems), you'll get a bigger tank & expand your system!

http://www.boatgraphicspr.com
My system: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15173&hilit=puerto+rican+ponics