All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: May 14th, '16, 12:16 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
Quote:
...And I've redesigned my growbed plans in my head. Again. :shock:
Quote:

That process will never end,even when you think you have finished...... :thumbright:

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 14th, '16, 15:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: grudgingly
It's nearly as much fun as actually building stuff! :laughing3:

PostPosted: May 14th, '16, 17:41 
Oh no, you mean we actually have to build it. Sounds like work to me.

PostPosted: May 17th, '16, 08:39 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Weeeeeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeeeee~! :headbang:

Looks like I've gotta build it now all right, Deuem, or else my husband's gonna get kinda narked about all these IBCs cluttering up the back yard! :geek: :bootyshake:

PostPosted: May 17th, '16, 09:32 
Yes indeed, they have put you over the start line for sure. Cut, cut cut, Have fun.

PostPosted: May 17th, '16, 16:55 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Deuem wrote:
Yes indeed, they have put you over the start line for sure. Cut, cut cut, Have fun.

You betcha! :headbang:

So far I've disassembled one IBC cage, rinsed out the shell and marked some of my cutting lines (the texta gave up the ghost), bought the proper cutting discs for the angle grinder to cut the cage, bought paint, and spent quite a while in the timber aisle in Bunnings considering what to use to put a nice edge on my growbeds. :think: I've also been planning how to build the shade covers for my tanks, but I'm not going to buy supplies for that until I've actually got them and can see exactly what I'm dealing with.

Gotta say, thumbs up to my girly pink toolkit for having the proper star-shaped bits for dismantling the IBC cage! My husband's manly gray drill bit set was lacking in that department. :lol: :bootyshake:

PostPosted: May 17th, '16, 17:56 
Yes the old star shaped torque screws. Great to use a pain if you don't have that bit. When they first came out, no one had the bits for at least a year or so. We had to grind stuff to fit the shape and pray. Those and the one way slots are fun to undo. By the way, pics or it didn't happen. lol You go! A girly Pink Tool Box? Do they even make them? Or did you paint it? I have the Man grey one myself but it does have the torque bits. Have hubby update or it would make a nice gift for him. You can buy just the bits to fit anything he has now a days.

You are putting a lot of guys here to shame. lol Just the fact that you know what an angle grinder is and how to use it. The awesome is spreading into fabrication of AP systems. Cool!

PostPosted: May 17th, '16, 18:43 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Heh, it's this one: http://www.jaycar.com.au/General-Consum ... e/p/TD2077 The instruction book it mentions is... uh... well, I threw it away. It was condescending crap that assumed anyone who wanted a girly pink tool kit couldn't possibly know anything about DIY. It was 'kind' enough to assume I knew how to use scissors. :roll: The tools are good though! I'm not an expert by any means, but I do enjoy building stuff and learning how to do things.

Apparently hubby also has a super seekrit uber drill bit set that has the star shaped bits, or so he informed me while defending the honour of his manly toolkit. :lol: He's still got no hole saws or spade bits, though, so I'm building up my own collection of those as I need different sizes. I want my own drill, too; hubby's got two, but they're both getting pretty old. The bracing handle on his hammer drill has come loose and just swivels around, and his smaller drill comes undone and drops the bit at random moments. :-x I had to break half the screws loose by hand before it would undo them. (Determination and a pink adjustable spanner can provide sufficient leverage for even an arthritic wuss like me to succeed where a power drill has failed!)

PostPosted: May 17th, '16, 20:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Quote:
The instruction book it mentions is... uh... well, I threw it away.
Now you're talking. We don't need no stinkin' books!
Congrats on the tool build up. Tools are a lot like aquaponics; never-ending need for improvement. One is more difficult without the other. I have a full size mechanics' tool box overflowing with tools, many of which have one thing in common; rarely used, if not one time use. But I got em, they're mine. haha. I could start a lending service, if I could find any one tool on demand :laughing3:

PostPosted: May 17th, '16, 22:23 
I found and purchased a hole saw kit for PVC. It has all the right sizes needed for pipe holes. It was only 45 rmb and just 1 hole saw can run up to 30 rmb. Just not looking forward to the day I need to sharpen one. I also have the small standard sizes in single drills. 20/25 and 32mm. They get used a lot more often with me. Maybe I should paint my grey box blue. Sounds like a song. If you can cut filter floss with scissors, you pass the test.

Talk about scissors, we buy these cheap ones here that are the best. For less then a US buck, Mine have lasted over 5 years with no sharpening. They cut through anything and keep on cutting. Most scissors I buy at home if you cut the wrong thing once, they are trash.

PostPosted: May 18th, '16, 07:24 
Legend Member
Legend Member

boss wrote:
Quote:
The instruction book it mentions is... uh... well, I threw it away.
Now you're talking. We don't need no stinkin' books!

Well, we definitely don't need the stinkin' books. The better books, on the other hand, are fun to read! 8)

Deuem wrote:
I found and purchased a hole saw kit for PVC. It has all the right sizes needed for pipe holes. It was only 45 rmb and just 1 hole saw can run up to 30 rmb. Just not looking forward to the day I need to sharpen one.

Ohhhhh yeeeeah I have my eye on a couple of sets too... never mind that I'd only use a couple, I want to own them all! :whistle:

PostPosted: May 18th, '16, 08:07 
Mel Redcap wrote:
Ohhhhh yeeeeah I have my eye on a couple of sets too... never mind that I'd only use a couple, I want to own them all! :whistle:

That's what I like about tool sets. I have already used one hole saw that I had figured I would never need. I needed to drill a big hole and said to myself I don't have that size but after checking, I did! No stopping that job, loaded and ran it right then and there. It would have cost me more then the set to go back out and find just that saw blade. When I but tools I buy what I think I might need and live with that. Tools don't go bad. :whistle:

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 16:54 
Legend Member
Legend Member

All of the liners are out of their cages, two of the cages are off the bases, and the other two will be completely detached when I've got the first two cages out of the way and can tip the remaining ones up on one side (it's more convenient to get at the little bolts on either side of the tap that way).

The angle grinder continues to be fun! :twisted: :headbang:

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 19:25 
I read that too quick and thought it said , "All of the lions are out of their cages" Ok, re-read. making progress on the job is what counts. What will the middle section turn into?

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 21:02 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Deuem wrote:
I read that too quick and thought it said , "All of the lions are out of their cages" Ok, re-read. making progress on the job is what counts. What will the middle section turn into?

Recycling bin stuffing. :-P I considered using a piece to shape part of my mineralisation tank, but it's much too stiff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next