All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 20th, '17, 17:43 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Hello to everyone,

Im a wanabe aquapon from the Philippines. Been reading on the forums and I already made a detailed plan of my AP system. Before I finally put my wonderful plan into action I am putting it here so experts can comment correct what might actually be a recipe for disaster. I am basically asking every question I can think of in a single thread as this may serve as a catalyst for more questions. Newbie inherently dont know the right questions to ask:)

If you have time please comment as your comment could save me a lot of trouble .

thanks in advance

Julian.

for my limited space I am planning to put up a vertical trough type AP system with one media base GB to serve as biofilter. and below that is a modified biosand filter to catch every solids that may drain from the GB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosand_filter

-The FT will serve as a swirl filter but instead of trapping solids it is designed as to expel solids. and drain directly to GB.
- Flow trough is series connected to water supply from top to bottom. My AP could be as high as 10 ft. with built in ladder and scaffold.
- I have read some issues with Iron deficiency, so right from the start I will add fig irons or simply rebars because it take time for this form to be converted into usable form by the plant.
-

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 20th, '17, 20:55 

Are you human?: YES
Interesting idea with using the modified biosand filter. I see that they require a pause period of 1 to 48 hours - are you going to bypass the biosand filter during this time?

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '17, 09:26 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

scotty435 wrote:
Interesting idea with using the modified biosand filter. I see that they require a pause period of 1 to 48 hours - are you going to bypass the biosand filter during this time?

The modified BSF will not need pause as it is meant to filter solids not bacteria. The concept of the original biosand filter is to culture larger bacteria that can not go through the sand filter. These larger bacteria will feed on the smaller ones. Thus they need a pause to digest, Otherwise they will just ignore the small bacteria and let it pass through when they are full. The bio active part which is the top 2 to 3 inches of sand and 2 inches of water will self adjust to the kind of nutrients that is present in the feed water. The modified BSF will have a sand deep of only 6 inches instead of the usual 20 to 24 inches

Last edited by julianbu on Jul 21st, '17, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '17, 09:27 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Tried to attached my plan but seems that I failed. Time to learn. will go back to post the plan.

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '17, 10:27 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

trying now

Attachments:
appng.png
appng.png [ 119.59 KiB | Viewed 1409 times ]