All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '18, 03:22 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
Hi from the canary islands.
I am setting up a mixed gmd /nft system to see if i can. A friend has given me a space on his farm.I started january 8th. I get up to the farm 4 days a week.
I am still preparing the plant growing area. I am using the FAO guide.
I am waiting for delivery of the IBC,s. There is a round 3000litre tank that I'm going to use for tilapia, but I will only half fill it, so about 70 tilapia babies to start I will have 6 grow beds, 2 mgb, 4 nfts
.TO DO;
DIG CUBIC METRE HOLE FOR SUMP.
CUT/PAINT/CONNECT IBC CONTAINERS. AND CLARIFIERS.
CONNECT IT ALL UP.
ESTABLISH THE BACTERIA/COORDINATE THE WATER CYCLE.
BUY THE TILAPIA.
Aquaponics should be huge in the canaries cos of the shortage of water, but it is in its infancy.There is a joint local govt/university project, but they seem secretive.
The big problem will be the heat in summer; it hits 40.c. I am looking for suggetsions for plants that can withstand high temps.
If there are any other ppl doing aquaponics in the canaries, I would be glad to hear from you/share.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '18, 04:52 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hi Shaun, welcome to the forum. It's a hot place for sure, I visited Lanzarote and almost burned my feet just stepping onto the sand for a few seconds after my flip flop came off..... Wow it's hot!

Have a good read through some topics on this forum. Get some questions and try to find answers, as you do this will lead to more questions etc........ It's all good and will help you when you come to design and build your system. The more time you spend getting things right on paper before you start, the less chance you will have of having to make big alterations. When you think you have got your best design put it on here and let some of the people who live in hot places give you some pointers...... Good luck and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '18, 23:01 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ty for the welcome. This site should help me a lot.
I tried an aquaponics set up in my flat a couple of years back, that when i became interested, and saw the potential.
My first attempt wasnt too successful; i spent about 1000 €, got 6 small tomatoes ,12 lettuces, and a white fly invasion in my house.
I was growing the plants next to the window which looks out onto the street. Because of the ligjts shining on the tomato plants, the guardia civil thought they were marjuana plants, and took fotos of them, so my neighbour informed me.
I.m lucky to still have a wife.
What convinced her to stau was the quote from Thomas Edison," i didn,t fail, i found 50 ways that didnt work.

PostPosted: Jan 17th, '19, 02:35 

Are you human?: yes
Shaunohara11 wrote:
Hi from the canary islands.
I am setting up a mixed gmd /nft system to see if i can. A friend has given me a space on his farm.I started january 8th. I get up to the farm 4 days a week.
I am still preparing the plant growing area. I am using the FAO guide.
I am waiting for delivery of the IBC,s. There is a round 3000litre tank that I'm going to use for tilapia, but I will only half fill it, so about 70 tilapia babies to start I will have 6 grow beds, 2 mgb, 4 nfts
.TO DO;
DIG CUBIC METRE HOLE FOR SUMP.
CUT/PAINT/CONNECT IBC CONTAINERS. AND CLARIFIERS.
CONNECT IT ALL UP.
ESTABLISH THE BACTERIA/COORDINATE THE WATER CYCLE.
BUY THE TILAPIA.
Aquaponics should be huge in the canaries cos of the shortage of water, but it is in its infancy.There is a joint local govt/university project, but they seem secretive.
The big problem will be the heat in summer; it hits 40.c. I am looking for suggetsions for plants that can withstand high temps.
If there are any other ppl doing aquaponics in the canaries, I would be glad to hear from you/share.

HI SHAUN

I'm happy to have found you. I live in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote. I am planning to set up an IBC system. I need a tank. I would love to meet you. My Mobil is +4797177116 or you can email me on trond@bija.ngo. Hope to hear from you. Yours sincerely, Trond Thorrud