All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 185  Next
PostPosted: Mar 10th, '18, 20:35 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Now we have new worries with no snow. https://fsapps.nwcg.gov/data/lg_fire/lg_fire_nifc_2018-03-09_browse.png
The fire shown as #5 is threatening Nell's family at the Oklahoma - New Mexico border.
Attachment:
Fire-map-3-10-18.png
Fire-map-3-10-18.png [ 777.37 KiB | Viewed 1700 times ]

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 11th, '18, 00:16 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
That will be a long fire season.
Hope Nell's family will be ok.
Sunday some more moisture in my neck of the woods, rain and snow.

PostPosted: Mar 11th, '18, 07:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Forcast here as well. Hopefully it comes to be fruition. Heck, dump LOTS!

Adam

PostPosted: Mar 11th, '18, 20:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning.
I had to search through weather forecasts to find one with a promise of moisture.
yes we're desperate:
Attachment:
3-11-18-weather-perhaps.png
3-11-18-weather-perhaps.png [ 48.71 KiB | Viewed 1630 times ]

The new cone-bottom tank is supposed to arrive tomorrow, I hope. I hadn't designed the internal mechanism yet. I'll stick with what works and keep the design as a RFF (radial flow filter) Often referred to as mechanical filtration.
If the size of the opening at the top fits I'll use JowBlow's design with lid attached pipe for the separator between the upflowing waste and static outer zone in my RFF.
For those not familiar with how these mechanical filters operate:
The waste on the bottom of the fish tank is drawn up into the bottom of the barrel and gravity overcomes the upward movement of the waste, letting it gently settle on the bottom of the barrel. In the case of the new cone-bottom barrel setup the waste can be easily removed by opening a valve at the bottom of the cone. The water continues to move though the barrel minus the solids into the next filter which in our setup is a MBBR (moving bed biofilter.)
----
I have ordered parts to replace the leaking air manifold that came with the air pump.
Attachment:
inexpensive-valves-Rockwool-seed-starters.png
inexpensive-valves-Rockwool-seed-starters.png [ 63.02 KiB | Viewed 1630 times ]

I'll be finally changing out all the vinyl air-lines to polyethylene, after I read that vinyl off-gasses unwanted fumes to the fish. I went with brass 1/4" NPT valves and PEX (cross thread polyethylene) Tees because that is what I can find. I see most MTS(multiple tank syndrome) Aquarists use PVC for the main supply lines then switch to tiny inside diameter vinyl. I already had switched to 3/4" then tee'd to 1/2" PEX from the air pump into the greenhouse so it made sense to stick with PEX
I did a quick drawing to help get my head together on what I need to supply and how few valves I can get away with.
Attachment:
Air-manifold-drawing.jpg
Air-manifold-drawing.jpg [ 56.13 KiB | Viewed 1630 times ]

Depending on what I come up with after rebuilding the air supply in our aquaponics system, I'll probably continue to usea dual SLO (solids up-lift outflow) design.
Yes I have several design improvements happening at the same time in our system. This is because I have a heavily overstocked fish load in our system right now. It's imperative that I quickly upgrade our filtration and biological capacity or I'll need to dramatically reduce the amount of fish before they are ready to harvest.
My plan at this stage is to get the larger quantity of solid waste out of the system right away.
---
Beautiful day yesterday. I started it off at 8:00 AM with my daughter Brittany and her husband Adam cleaning the public portion of our acequia along with 30 neighbors. For 45 years we've been here, this is how we begin Spring here in Sapello NM. I did a little video of our APin the afternoon sun.

PostPosted: Mar 18th, '18, 23:04 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning
Starting seeds here.
Attachment:
March-18-18-DWC-94-rockwool-seed-starts-lettuce.jpg
March-18-18-DWC-94-rockwool-seed-starts-lettuce.jpg [ 83.66 KiB | Viewed 1560 times ]

The rockwool blocks were a little loose in the pre-cut holes of the DWC raft so I stuck a tooth pick to hold them.
Attachment:
March-18-18-DWC-rockwool-seed-starts-lettuce-Simpson.jpg
March-18-18-DWC-rockwool-seed-starts-lettuce-Simpson.jpg [ 86.29 KiB | Viewed 1560 times ]

Attachment:
March-18-18-DWC-rockwool-seed-starts-lettuce.jpg
March-18-18-DWC-rockwool-seed-starts-lettuce.jpg [ 80.31 KiB | Viewed 1560 times ]

This is a mix of fine sand peat moss and perlite I made a couple days ago and have been soaking them. I think they are ready to seed now.
Attachment:
March-18-18-soil-seed-starts.jpg
March-18-18-soil-seed-starts.jpg [ 112.06 KiB | Viewed 1560 times ]

I'm going to do my workout exercises next then we'll pick out and plant seeds in the dirt trays. This year we have seed bed warmers for things like cucumbers that need the heat.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '18, 19:54 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

My hands still haven't recovered from all of the planting I did this past weekend. I planted 50 peppers (7-8 varieties), 100 tomatoes (12ish varieties), 16 eggplants (2 varieties), 15 cabbage plants (2 varieties), 9 watermelon plants, 24 broccoli (3 varieties), 10 cauliflower, 8 kohlrabi a whole bunch of swiss chard, pak choi, lettuce, cilantro and basil. I'm ready for spring! Oh wait today is the first day of spring! Woohoo!

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '18, 20:29 
A posting God
A posting God

Wowo cool that's a bunch of food planted. You guys may need a team of pickers to help harvest! My feet are feeling all the shoveling I did yesterday. I turned over one bed in our terrace garden. Two more to go. We have seed potatoes for the back garden. We're trying to come up with a plan for the front gardens as there are a lot of perennials we're thinking we can intersperse onions in there.
We watched Only The Brave last night. We love disaster films and this one was recommended by my step-son a firefighter after a nearby wildfire in the Clayton area. I recognized a house in the film from Ojitos Frios where I did the wireless Internet and looked up the film location, yep it was filmed here, well much of the filming was done here. This is supposed to be a horrific wildfire season so this is recommended for understanding what we could be looking at. Super scary. Good film.

Attachments:
Only-the-brave.jpg
Only-the-brave.jpg [ 49.87 KiB | Viewed 1685 times ]

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '18, 20:33 
A posting God
A posting God

Wowo cool that's a bunch of food planted. You guys may need a team of pickers to help harvest! My feet are feeling all the shoveling I did yesterday. I turned over one bed in our terrace garden. Two more to go. We have seed potatoes for the back garden. We're trying to come up with a plan for the front gardens as there are a lot of perennials, we're thinking we can intersperse onions in there.
We watched Only The Brave last night.
Attachment:
Only-the-brave.jpg
Only-the-brave.jpg [ 49.87 KiB | Viewed 1667 times ]

We love disaster films and this one was recommended by my step-son a firefighter after a nearby wildfire in the Clayton area. I recognized a house in the film from Ojitos Frios where I did the wireless Internet and looked up the film location, yep it was filmed here, well much of the filming was done here. This is supposed to be a horrific wildfire season so this is recommended for understanding what we could be looking at. Good film. Super scary.
Attachment:
hero_Only-the-Brave-2017.jpg
hero_Only-the-Brave-2017.jpg [ 109.93 KiB | Viewed 1667 times ]

Think of this terrain for most of the towers we installed in remote locations.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '18, 21:51 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Brian we follow wildfires pretty closely since I've worked at Spartan Motors for the past 16 years (almost half my life! One more year will be half my life...) and we build fire trucks so we keep a pretty close eye on the wildfires and where our trucks are serving and are proud to be a part of helping to save lives and peoples properties... so we feel for all of you in wildfire areas.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '18, 23:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
No digging or turning soil up here. Spring went out with a bang. Sunday we had blizzard conditions and got a foot of snow, nice wet snow. It is melting fast, the ground is already to warm. By Thursday we should be in the upper 60s
It was the most snow we had all winter.
We could get some rain by the end of the week :D
Tomatoes and peppers are waiting for the green house, they are about 5 inches tall. Asparagus and Potatoes are going strong in GH
The outside Garden has to wait till May.
I will start this year a new project, KuneKune pigs. I am in with two breeding females, gilts. They will be born in the first week of June and I should be able to pick them up in middle of August, oink, oink. A kid in near by Mancos does Kune, FFA and 4H. It covers all bases, the kid gets support, local breeding boars, local buy and bio lawn mower.

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '18, 04:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Damn UPS lost the tap already, grrr

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '18, 05:26 
A posting God
A posting God

Dog and me waiting waiting waiting
Attachment:
3-20-18-Cone-bottom-tank-here-Snore-Still-waiting-on-NPT-tap.jpg
3-20-18-Cone-bottom-tank-here-Snore-Still-waiting-on-NPT-tap.jpg [ 73.09 KiB | Viewed 1571 times ]

Once I get the tap and make the air manifold I'll jump on the air-lift pump tests.
In the meantime...
Attachment:
3-20-18-Last-grout-done-powder-room.jpg
3-20-18-Last-grout-done-powder-room.jpg [ 57.2 KiB | Viewed 1571 times ]

Along with better health, apparently I'll need to practice my patience, doh!
Grouting only took an hour... Now what do I do for kicks?
Hi guys!
Thanks Rob, we do appreciate those trucks and fire fighters. Amazing how much gear fire fighters carry all the time and up at these altitudes, oh man that's tough. Super athletes!
Gnoib, we missed that last one, although it looked pretty serious at times with horizontal snow for an hour. The ground barely got wet though. Miserable rain Gods, he says raised fist to sky! LOL

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '18, 08:30 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

You aren't kidding about super athletes. Look up videos of fire fighter combat challenge. We hosted it a few years ago and these guys compete to show they are at the top of their field. It's an amazing course and you get these 50+ year old guys completing the course in like 90 seconds when the whipper snappers time out after about 5 minutes they get disqualified before they run out of air and pass out. They use a 40 minute air tank in that time too

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '18, 09:32 
A posting God
A posting God

I'll look that one up, thanks

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '18, 20:59 
A posting God
A posting God

Gnoib I had to look your new piggies up http://www.americankunekunepigsociety.com/ OMG those are about as cute as a pig could be! It's got to make harvest time difficult if that is the purpose.
Attachment:
KuneKune-pigs.jpg
KuneKune-pigs.jpg [ 141.77 KiB | Viewed 1487 times ]

I finally got a hold of the UPS driver. For some reason he knew he had delivered my 1/4" npt tap to an address in the next canyon over. He had another driver retrieve it and put it in our mail box. I'll go down to the box this morning and hopefully be back in business. Kind of a pain this happened, but it gave me a chance to speak with an Amazon representative about Amazon Prime which is up for renewal on the 31st.
If others are interested I've saved the chat, here are some excerpts:
Me: do you know if Amazon is considering separating the video from the shipping side?
Amazon's Sid: I understand your concern regarding this.
Yes you can subscribe separately for Amazon Prime video.
Me: The reason I am asking is the Prime videos I try to watch seem to be available for uncertain time and one I was watching went away before I finished the season with no explanation. That bothered me and it seemed like I had no recourse
Sid: I apologize for the inconvenience you’ve faced on our account.
Me: On the other hand we have paid for quite a few videos for which we worry might not be available if we let Prime go.
Sid: Please do not worry the videos that are purchased will be available in your library.
Me: How would we get to our library if we don't have Prime?
Sid: You'll have access to library even if the prime subscription is not there.
Me: interesting. thank you this will help us make our decision as whether to keep Prime or not more informed.
Sid: You're welcome :) Would there be anything else I may help you with?
Me: yes we also wonder if we can convert digital videos to DVD?
Sid: No sorry you cannot convert.
Me: not even for an extra cost?
Sid: No you cannot do that.
Me: wow okay, it doesn't seem like there is much advantage to digital videos then.
Sid: Would there be anything else I can assist you with?
Me: this leads to my next question as opposed to buying Prime Video only as you suggest we can, could we pay only for Prime Shipping?
Sid: No the Prime includes all the benefits where you get the Prime videos for free.
Me: I hope you can see why we're concerned? I would appreciate it if you can pass my questions along to management for consideration as to policies.
I hope Amazon appreciates customer feedback.
Sid: I'll take this feedback and submit to the concerned team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 185  Next