All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 185  Next
PostPosted: Apr 20th, '18, 21:51 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Brian, how do you keep pine needles and leafs out of your coy hot tub ?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 21st, '18, 06:45 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
It's so small I can reach anywhere and lift them out. Lately the crazy wind blows them out with some water too from the looks of the level.

PostPosted: Apr 21st, '18, 21:52 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning
I called the rheumatologist office to have my remission drug dosage increased a little hoping we can find a balance between suppressing my immune system and this terrible pain of late.
Nevertheless, I got a few things done yesterday:
Mostly drilling holes, a lot of holes.
Attachment:
April-20th-18-RFF-construction-Making-polyvinylchloride-shavings.jpg
April-20th-18-RFF-construction-Making-polyvinylchloride-shavings.jpg [ 141.41 KiB | Viewed 2876 times ]

Then after making the holes I used a shaper on my new portable drill as well as sandpaper to clean the burrs off.
Attachment:
April-20th-18-holes-drilled-and-cleaned-RFF-outfows.jpg
April-20th-18-holes-drilled-and-cleaned-RFF-outfows.jpg [ 79.41 KiB | Viewed 2876 times ]

I figured the burrs would catch suspended solids possibly clogging the holes faster, so they really all needed removing. The tricky places are on the insides. I left the four tails of the outflow pipes unglued so I can remove them for cleaning so that made sanding inside possible.
On the other hand rough edges give more places for beneficial bacteria to live.
I don't know if it matters, what I do know is I am closer to installing this, learning if any of this stuff I've been figuring, has merit.
Attachment:
April-20th-18-RFF-outfows-dryset.jpg
April-20th-18-RFF-outfows-dryset.jpg [ 52.53 KiB | Viewed 2876 times ]

With a little luck I'll weld an additional brace on the basketball-hoop I'm using as a frame to hold the cone-bottom RFF today.
During this health crisis I forgot about the quote I was working on getting for Rio Gallinas charter school. :upset:
It seems the quote fell through some cracks in that company. I'm disappointed mostly with myself because now I'm worried that I may not be able to continue with the plan to build the kids an aquaponics system in a timely manner.
:brilsmurf: Brian

PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '18, 22:02 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning.
Well I didn't have that luck I was hoping for in the last post.
My wife suggested I take a break and not fight the pain.
Up until yesterday I have kept to my workout routine except that I'm doing exercises lying down. Then the pain went into my elbow :upset:
I don't believe I'm doing damage to my joints by moving around so today I'll get back to some kind of routine.
Hopefully this one.

45 Min Weight Training Workout + Abs: Home Strength Training Full Body Dumbbell Workout Women & Men
Then, if I survive I'll install the new RFF.
In order to bring the new cone-bottom RFF online I'll need to drain around a foot of water off the fish tank so I can change the downward facing elbow from the SLO which comes through the side-wall of the pond. I'll wait to rebuild the original SLO until I feel better. The new air-lift secondary SLO may be very simple too. I'm thinking it will be the air-lift pump pipe set at the lowest point in the pond. :think: Part of the reason for this is I want to see how the system functions after I add the new water pump and where the best place to focus the flow to create water movement in this irregular shape pond.
The quad power head system I set in the pond a few months ago has helped solids reach the SLO and keeps a portion of the floor clear. I want to expand on that flow and see if I can get water to move in a clockwise pattern. The end of the line feeding the grow-beds currently moves water in that direction, but with little velocity. I should be able to really get the water moving with this new pump. I'll be splitting the flow between the grow-beds and a direct line into the fish tank.

PostPosted: Apr 23rd, '18, 22:56 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning
Yesterday we both got impressively busy, plus it was a beautiful day.
Attachment:
April-22th-18-Koi-pond-skiterish-fish.jpg
April-22th-18-Koi-pond-skiterish-fish.jpg [ 208.08 KiB | Viewed 2800 times ]

Yes, it's bone-dry on the eastern slopes of the Sangre de Christo mountains.
Attachment:
April-22th-18-Koi-pond-cows-moved-Cattails-planter.jpg
April-22th-18-Koi-pond-cows-moved-Cattails-planter.jpg [ 104.79 KiB | Viewed 2800 times ]

I got panicky two days ago when I saw the cows in the yard. They can drink a lot of water in a short time, then one saw the Cattails and munched it. They can do a lot of damage to the plumbing and barrel filters on the Koi pond. Of course I'm wearing sweats and slippers and cows seem to be able to sense vulnerability; one two year old calf has the pot with the Cattails by the greenery and I'm freaking out that it will drop it on our fish! Unbelievably the cow just moved the potted plant around the corner :bigsmurf: They are not taking me seriously.
Meanwhile inside, it is a tropical paradise. I decided to build this greenhouse because of the last drought so that's paying off.
Attachment:
April-22th-18-Wall-panel-removed-increase-structure-RFF-900.jpg
April-22th-18-Wall-panel-removed-increase-structure-RFF-900.jpg [ 125.92 KiB | Viewed 2800 times ]

I've removed an OSB (oriented strand board) panel to beef up the structure where the cone-bottom RFF Radial-flow-filter will mount.
I wish I had more room for this new layout. I thought I could install this filter recessed in the wall, but no. The insulated wall is too important to how an earth-sheltered structure functions, plus I want to be able to spray the RFF insides with a hose and that would make too many places to catch over-spray.
Attachment:
April-22th-18-Trout-pond-Raft-bed-lettuce.jpg
April-22th-18-Trout-pond-Raft-bed-lettuce.jpg [ 131.26 KiB | Viewed 2800 times ]

It looks like there are nutrient deficiencies showing in the DWC as well as the media beds. New growth paler with generalized lighter color in all leaves.
I worked in the shop getting ready to change the basketball hoop brackets as well as weld one of the brackets for closet curtain rod we bought from EBay. That reminds me to leave negative feedback on the curtain rod which had 4 out of five incorrect brackets :upset:
With everything so terribly dry I needed to clean the floor of the shop and hose the area with water to make certain no fires started. I cut the basketball hoop down so it sits closer to the wall it'll be mounted to. I'm seriously reconsidering having two drains on the RFF. One was to fill a mineralization tank, the other goes outside to a yet to be created worm and compost bin. The problem again is space. In order to keep the RFF drain so it can go outside over the foundation it leaves some room to reach the dirt in the corner planter. Having a Tee right there blocks access even more.
I want to learn about mineralization and have a tank inside as this should be an effective way to unlock minerals in our aquaponics system which as I said it looks like we're having deficiencies again. I think I just convinced myself that indeed I need that second drain inside for the mineralization.
Okay then. Today I'll beef up the structure for the modified basketball hoop mounting bracket and fabricate a custom fit bracket.
First thing is get my workout routine in this morning. I'll try this one:

30 Minute HIIT Tabata Workout with Weights at Home - Total Body Dumbbell Training
Thanks for hanging with me this morning
Brian

Attachments:
April-22th-18-Wall-panel-removed-increase-structure-RFF-900.jpg
April-22th-18-Wall-panel-removed-increase-structure-RFF-900.jpg [ 125.92 KiB | Viewed 2800 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '18, 03:47 
A posting God
A posting God

Howdy! :wave1:
Started out the day with less pain, but oh well.
Standing and walking for tools and modifications makes my hip scream, so I think I'll have better luck installing the new pump.
I assume much of this project I'll be kneeling, bent over or lying on the massive boardwalk, so that seems better.
Attachment:
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-sump-and-pump-upgrades-from-boardwalk.jpg
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-sump-and-pump-upgrades-from-boardwalk.jpg [ 146.81 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

I had to work on the tomato vines hanging over the sump where I need to work. This is how I know what standing does to my pain level.
Attachment:
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-sump-and-pump-upgrades.jpg
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-sump-and-pump-upgrades.jpg [ 74.47 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

Gurkan had a post this morning about his upgrades with venturies in which I noticed he had a DIY filter above his fish tank.
That got me thinking of ways to add a filter off the skimmer on our system
In the above image of my 200 gallon (757 liter) sump tank you may be able see it on the left side in the photo, that's the Skimmer overflow going into a 7" sock filter. That sock filter now gets clogged in one day.
The new pump is going to amp up the flow going from the fish tank to the sump tank. That also needs to be addressed as soon as possible.
Of the three types of lettuce we planted the Blackseed Simpson is doing best.
Attachment:
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-DWC-lettuce.jpg
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-DWC-lettuce.jpg [ 141.95 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

Anywho, the pump is too tempting for me to see it in action, so it wins the project of the day.
Attachment:
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-new-pump.jpg
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-new-pump.jpg [ 92.84 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

Attachment:
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-new-pump-ready.jpg
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-new-pump-ready.jpg [ 99.77 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

If I have any energy left after this project I have a little trim-work do do in the addition. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '18, 08:25 
A posting God
A posting God

It's not pretty, but it's installed.
Attachment:
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-water-pump-upgrade.jpg
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-water-pump-upgrade.jpg [ 72.35 KiB | Viewed 2923 times ]

The two PEX pipes will be removed after I plumb the SLOs to the RFF so I can see where the new air-line can be located.
Attachment:
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-water-pump-upgrade-not-pretty-yet.jpg
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-water-pump-upgrade-not-pretty-yet.jpg [ 76.67 KiB | Viewed 2923 times ]

Below is the secondary outflow. The trout liked it at full power, but in order to make the primary and original plumbing to the grow-beds which goes up and over the door to the house I had to create back pressure with the valve slowing the flow considerably. :?
Attachment:
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-water-pump-upgrade-second-outflow-disappointing.jpg
April-24-2018-Aquaponics-water-pump-upgrade-second-outflow-disappointing.jpg [ 121.12 KiB | Viewed 2923 times ]

All in all I feel good about getting another piece of this upgrade situated.
Next I'll finish the bracket for the RFF and get ready to lower the fish tank water level so I can change the direction outflow from the the original SLO. That will be a full day of work.
Brian

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '18, 22:43 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning!
I wish this disease would cut me some slack.
Regardless, I'm determined to not let up on my projects.
What's up for today then?
While splitting the flow from the new pump did not perform like I imaged and hoped it would, I need to keep moving with the installation of the new RFF.
I may just need to have the old pump sit in the bottom of the fish tank with the outflow pointing in the direction I want the water to move inside the tank. This will add to the electric expense, but I think that is what I need to do. The pump in the sump needs to be a single circuit as it detracts from pump performance to spit the flow with different head heights.
Today I'll finish building a bracket for the upgraded RFF as well as beef up the structure in the wall it'll attach to.
Once I have the bracket ready I'll stop the air-lift pumps and lower the water level in the fish tank so I can cut off the downward facing elbow which fed the old RFF and direct the flow from the SLO upward to the new higher RFF.
I hope I see a better placement arrangement for the filters once the old RFF is out and I can place the MBBR where I want it to sit. :support:
This seems like too many ifs for one project and I hope the pain medication isn't unduly influencing my decision making. :drunken:

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '18, 23:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
You can look at the v=q/a calculators (1728.com.....I think), you should be able to determine the proper diameter pipe to maintain a ft/s around 5. Then your supply can be divided by how ever many holes you drill to determine the right diameter for the inlet to maintain the GPM you initially calculated or want to maintain.

I suggest a gate valve before the point of distribution to be able to easily microadjust the flow as opposed to a pvc ball valve.

Ill be right there doing my own modifications.

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '18, 06:19 
A posting God
A posting God

One benefit of not hammering away all day long on a project is, I get to photograph more of the stages of a project :bootyshake:
:thumbleft: It's all done in short spurts :thumbright:
Attachment:
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage1.jpg
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage1.jpg [ 89.69 KiB | Viewed 2826 times ]

I found out my acetylene tank was on zero, doh! I'm like "why isn't this torch getting hot?"
Attachment:
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage1-base.jpg
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage1-base.jpg [ 100.55 KiB | Viewed 2826 times ]

The bottom which is shown on top in these images will be bolted to the rock sidewall of the dirt bed which will be obscured with this placement of the RFF. I don't see anyway around this placement I chose. :dontknow:
I still need to shape the ends of this channel iron so they fit the basketball hoop round rim
Attachment:
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage1-joints.jpg
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage1-joints.jpg [ 67.44 KiB | Viewed 2826 times ]

Happy or high or both, I did something! I hope after a rest I can go out to the shop and do some more, culmanating with arc-welding this together.
Attachment:
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage1-selfie-900px.jpg
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage1-selfie-900px.jpg [ 109.61 KiB | Viewed 2826 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '18, 08:33 
A posting God
A posting God

I'm happy to report a successful day of work on our new RFF.
Attachment:
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage2-checking-fit-in-place2.jpg
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage2-checking-fit-in-place2.jpg [ 147.23 KiB | Viewed 2802 times ]

I've created the bracket for the RFF. It's just leaning against the inner wall. I still need to decide on the technique I'll use for the structure behind the wall-board.
Attachment:
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage2-checking-fit-in-place.jpg
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage2-checking-fit-in-place.jpg [ 139.17 KiB | Viewed 2802 times ]

Looks like it'll work.
Attachment:
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage2-checking-fit.jpg
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage2-checking-fit.jpg [ 92.26 KiB | Viewed 2802 times ]

It took some time to find the pneumatic deburring tool but that was fine because this baby removes slag completely and quickly. My welds needed that extra work to make them less noticeable. :shock:
Attachment:
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage2-checking-fit.jpg
April-25-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-fabrication-stage2-checking-fit.jpg [ 92.26 KiB | Viewed 2802 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 27th, '18, 06:51 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
The Periha pump, can it be used as a submersible ?

PostPosted: Apr 27th, '18, 10:15 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Yes. Sub or in line.

SeasideAquatics.com.

PostPosted: Apr 27th, '18, 22:12 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning.
Yes, I have the pump in the sump now.
I got a little bit done yesterday, adding two 2"x4's underneath the OSB so I could try out positioning the RFF stand.
Attachment:
April-26-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-tweaking-for-fit.jpg
April-26-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-tweaking-for-fit.jpg [ 137.83 KiB | Viewed 2668 times ]

The tank is millimeters too close to the wall and bracket.
Attachment:
April-26-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-off-by-6mm-dang-it.jpg
April-26-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-off-by-6mm-dang-it.jpg [ 69.15 KiB | Viewed 2668 times ]

I haven't painted the bracket yet. Today I'll re-bend the L part of the bracket so it sits a little further away from the wall. I hope I have enough acetylene to heat the metal to make it malleable. Plus anything I add to the side will change the level as I've already drilled the rock ledge for a lag bolt. Oh, and the cheap hammer-drill we bought gave out after the first hole, doh!
I'll look at the fit again this morning and see if it matters that the HDPE doesn't lie flat in the bracket, maybe the tank will conform without deforming the plastic too much.
Attachment:
April-26-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-checking-plumbing-layout.jpg
April-26-2018-Aquaponics-Filter-stand-checking-plumbing-layout.jpg [ 101.45 KiB | Viewed 2668 times ]

Now to get the pipes to go where they need to go.
Being in the back corner of the greenhouse is making the plumbing difficult. It is what it is. I'm seeing solutions to everything right now, but once I'm deep in there I may see more obstacles.
Eyes open, no fear!
That's a favorite quote from Suspicious Observers.

Have a great day!
Brian

PostPosted: Apr 30th, '18, 11:03 
A posting God
A posting God

I barely accomplished anything today other than watering the garden and painting the New RFF bracket.
Attachment:
April-29-18-Koi-pond-so-clear-looking-east.jpg
April-29-18-Koi-pond-so-clear-looking-east.jpg [ 137.14 KiB | Viewed 2569 times ]

I really need to get some lilies planted for cover for our Koi
Attachment:
April-29-18-Koi-pond-so-clear.jpg
April-29-18-Koi-pond-so-clear.jpg [ 63.11 KiB | Viewed 2569 times ]

The cows got in the yard again and did a lot of damage to our gardens, not to mention drinking about 4 inches worth of water out of the Koi pond.
Attachment:
April-29-18-potatoes-and-onions-patch.jpg
April-29-18-potatoes-and-onions-patch.jpg [ 178.5 KiB | Viewed 2569 times ]

The cows also got on the potato patch grr
Attachment:
April-29-18-cleaned-Old-RFF.jpg
April-29-18-cleaned-Old-RFF.jpg [ 107.62 KiB | Viewed 2569 times ]

Attachment:
April-29-18-RFF-stand-painted2.jpg
April-29-18-RFF-stand-painted2.jpg [ 138.29 KiB | Viewed 2569 times ]

I could have redone the basketball hoop RFF stand project, but I'm not feeling well enough to go that extra mile to get it level.
Tomorrow is an emergency doctor appointment at 7:45 AM. I don't know what I expect to come of it.
After that I have a massage so that's cool.
Brian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 185  Next