All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 4th, '18, 04:44 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
I'm starting this to see what animals you guys are using to clean your systems for you. Please describe how you procured them what they have done to your system overall health/water clarity and what part of your system they are in. FT ST DWC etc...

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 4th, '18, 06:04 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sometimes
Grow_life I use Freshwater Mussels in my fish tank and sump to clean up any uneaten fish feed and keep the water clear.

I'm not sure how many I currently have in the system, I think it would be around 12-15, I've lost a few over the years through salting up too high and have replaced them a few at a time so I'm not sure of the numbers.

If I ever need to salt up again I'd remove the Mussels before salting and replace them later.

I'll add a few more when I get the chance, they are nature's little vacuum cleaners and they do a great job on keeping the water clear.

https://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/uploa ... Mussel.pdf

http://www.aquablueseafoods.com.au/other-mussels.shtml

Attachments:
freshwater_mussels_01 (Medium).JPG
freshwater_mussels_01 (Medium).JPG [ 124.83 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]
freshwater_mussels_02 (Medium).JPG
freshwater_mussels_02 (Medium).JPG [ 52.67 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]
freshwater_mussels_03 (Medium).JPG
freshwater_mussels_03 (Medium).JPG [ 48.09 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ
PostPosted: Jun 4th, '18, 06:54 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Awesome thank you for the info. How big is your system and how long until you noticed a change in the water? Have they grown a noticeable amount in the system?

PostPosted: Jun 4th, '18, 09:50 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sometimes
Grow_life wrote:
Awesome thank you for the info. How big is your system and how long until you noticed a change in the water? Have they grown a noticeable amount in the system?

The system is 2,000 litres, and depending on how dirty the water is determines how long it takes for them to clean it up, but you do see that it is happening very quickly.

When the water is quite dirty they will stay where you place them and clean up in that area, and when they have cleaned up there they move to another spot and start somewhere else.

You'll see a big difference in water clarity a couple of weeks, and you can see where they have been cleaning sooner than that.

They have annual growth rings on their shells and they do take a long time to grow, so you don't notice any growth, and the fact that you look at one in one corner of the tank and the next day it's moved somewhere else, you can't tell if you are looking at the same Mussel when you have a few in the same tank.

Some people put them in their filters, as long as there is plenty of oxygen and fish solids they'll live anywhere.

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

PostPosted: Jun 4th, '18, 17:46 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
I use Yabbies (freshwater crayfish) in my systems. Not worth growing for food, but one or two in a fish tank (600-1000L) will help keep the uneaten fish pellets under control if you use sinking pellets. You want a non-aggresive species (most freshwater ones are small but not familiar with your US species).

there is a 50-50 on snails - some people hate them and some don't mind. Some fish will eat them.
Try to avoid the conical shell ones.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Jun 4th, '18, 18:54 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: been called worse
Hi dlfperth
I have fish waste sitting in corners of my IBC FT that doesn’t go up the SLO so wondering if freshwater mussels are safe with trout as the waste isn’t making it to my sump where I’d like to put them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jun 4th, '18, 21:35 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
joblow wrote:
Grow_life I use Freshwater Mussels in my fish tank and sump to clean up any uneaten fish feed and keep the water clear.

I'm not sure how many I currently have in the system, I think it would be around 12-15, I've lost a few over the years through salting up too high and have replaced them a few at a time so I'm not sure of the numbers.

If I ever need to salt up again I'd remove the Mussels before salting and replace them later.

I'll add a few more when I get the chance, they are nature's little vacuum cleaners and they do a great job on keeping the water clear.

https://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/uploa ... Mussel.pdf

http://www.aquablueseafoods.com.au/other-mussels.shtml

:notworthy: I had no idea about fresh-water Mussels! :headbang:

Anyone in the US have Mussels in their system?

:?

PostPosted: Jun 6th, '18, 00:38 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

dif_perth our crawfish (yabbies) are about 7" on average we buy them by the pound and boil them alive and they are DELICIOUS!!!
I will have them in my system somewhere to help clean. I'm thinking DWC but I'm also considering Freshwater prawns for this. Also not sure if I would use snails unless it was a variety I could eat. And can't they take over if left to their own devices?

Boss I have 1 tennis ball sized freshwater clam in a bucket with an air stone ran to it that my son pulled out of the river a couple weeks ago. its actually made the waster noticeably clearer which prompted me to start this thread.