All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Oct 20th, '18, 07:24 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
skeggley wrote:
Hey Joblow, I've done similar with bb's halved, milk crate n all. I used sand as a wicking medium which went over the shade cloth and down the sides where you have the pipe. I used uniseals at the lower penetration which the pipe turns in to set the water level. Not sure the wicking really worked great with the sand but I still had to hand water often in summer. After a couple of years of use it seems to be just worm castings in it now and the plant growth has only ever been ok. Perhaps I was expecting too much.
I've left hessian bags on the ground before and they havnt lasted a year before being consumed back to nature and if this happens with your design what will wick then?

Hi Skeggly,

I used the tank fitting only because I had one sitting around, I also had 4 x 50mm Uniseals but didn't want use one just on a wicking barrel, had they been 25mm I would have used one for sure.

You make a very good point on Hessian bags rotting away on the ground and I have had/seen the same result, I'm hoping the Hessian wicks being under the soil and not above it, plus the continuous wicking of the water stops them rotting away, I don't know if that will be the case or not. :dontknow:

I have used them before and haven't noticed any drop off in performance, possibly they have rotted away and the capillary action has just continued like all the other 20L barrel wicking pots where I have with nothing but a reservoir of water covered with shade cloth. They still wick up some how?. :dontknow: Maybe they wick up because of condensation and you don't need a wick at all? :dontknow:

After any plants growing in the wicking pots die off I always replace all the soil/potting mix with fresh stuff so I'll know if the Hessian has rotted or not in this barrel before too long and let you know.

Any of the plants like Chilli's that I keep going for several seasons haven't shown any drop off, so I can't say if the one or two barrels that had Hessian have rotted away or not. :dontknow:

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 31st, '18, 11:41 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
joblow wrote:
boss wrote:
Super sciency and professional looking wicking bed JoeBlow. Thanks for sharing.
We got our first snow today, yikes!
Brian

Thanks Brian.

I saw the pictures of your snow fall, if that's the first day, it will only get colder. I hate snow with a passion, I worked in it for a couple of weeks once, never again. :upset: It looks so bloody cold, I have enough trouble here keeping warm in winter without snow.

I had a list of places where I wouldn't work and snow was top of the list, followed by water and then islands. Over the years they all caught me out. Working overseas the companies always wanted to put your passport in their safe, I never fell for that one. It was bad enough being in snow or on an island you couldn't get off, and if they had your passport you had no hope.

Hi Joblow,first love that wicking barrel I might copy that and I moved to Thailand as there ain’t much chance of snow here...lol

PostPosted: Oct 31st, '18, 18:30 
In need of a life
In need of a life

dasboot wrote:
joblow wrote:

Hi Joblow,first love that wicking barrel I might copy that and I moved to Thailand as there ain’t much chance of snow here...lol

Thanks Dasboot, I know what you mean coming from the UK to a warmer climate, I just couldn't imagine what having to shovel snow from your front door would be like. I know It gets pretty cold at night up there in the mountains, but I think you're safe from any snow.

My Fish:

PostPosted: Oct 31st, '18, 23:17 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: well, ......am I??
HA!!

It's amazing what living in a tropical climate does to you!
I grew up with skis on my feet and plowing snow occasionally....

Living in Panama and visiting the highest village around here, Cerro Punta - where all the "cold stuff" is grown (lettuce, onions, strawberries, etc...) it can get as low as 11-12°C in a COLD night (that's + °C!!) - and it feels like bloody FREEZING!!

thjakits :)

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '18, 06:13 
In need of a life
In need of a life

thjakits wrote:
HA!!

Living in Panama and visiting the highest village around here, Cerro Punta - where all the "cold stuff" is grown (lettuce, onions, strawberries, etc...) it can get as low as 11-12°C in a COLD night (that's + °C!!) - and it feels like bloody FREEZING!!

Yeah it's hard to go back once you've sampled the good climate, Dasboot would agree with that.

Our winter overnight temperatures average 6.5 - 14.2°C (43.7 - 57.6°F) but can get down as low as 2-3°C some nights. Very rarely does it get to zero or any lower, all the people who live in places where that get below zero temperatures I'd like to ask, why do you live there???? :dontknow:

Winter (June – August)
In winter, average temperatures range from 6.5 - 14.2°C (43.7 - 57.6°F), and snow falls in the north-east of Victoria, known as High Country. The weather is frequently cold and cloudy, and nights can be accompanied by frosts. Heavy rain is rare at this time of year.

Thjakits, as you get older that 11-12°C feels more like 2-3°C and is just great for the arthritis. :support:

My Fish:

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '18, 06:46 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
This one was mainly rain but we got a little soggy white stuff too.
Buddy my dog has a thick fur coat, but he still knows to get on the least snowy area. He's smart like you guys, lol

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '18, 13:42 
In need of a life
In need of a life

If Buddy was real smart he'd know there would be even less snow in the house. :laughing3:

He's a nice looking dog, what brand is he?

My Fish:

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '18, 19:57 
A posting God
A posting God

joblow wrote:
If Buddy was real smart he'd know there would be even less snow in the house. :laughing3:

He's a nice looking dog, what brand is he?

Haha yeah I think calling the dog smart at all, is a stretch. He does know what "walk" and "biscuit" mean though. I'm uncertain if he is a particular breed. My children both have his sisters, maybe some Australian Shepard and Border Collie mixes. He does like to solve problems so I am thinking there is some working dog in there.
With that thick coat he can be outside in the coldest weather and it doesn't seem to phase him. None of our animals like this rain though.
I can't imagine how wild animals are coping with rapid climate change. I guess they'll adapt or move on to climes they are used to. We are seeing moss growing on the ground everywhere. I like that, but we don't need to sleep outside in the rain.
Things are changing.
Apparently permaculture is one really simple answer and response to climate change. Farmers tilling their fields accounts for something like 40% of greenhouse gas production. Mono-culture farming is also causing havoc on the Earth. I am learning a great deal of information reading this book by Australian Bill Mollison, Permaculture, a designers manual. https://www.amazon.com/Permaculture-Designers-Manual-Bill-Mollison/dp/0908228015
Best regards,
Brian

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '18, 22:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
joblow wrote:
thjakits wrote:
HA!!

Yeah it's hard to go back once you've sampled the good climate, Dasboot would agree with that.

Our winter overnight temperatures average 6.5 - 14.2°C (43.7 - 57.6°F) but can get down as low as 2-3°C some nights. Very rarely does it get to zero or any lower, all the people who live in places where that get below zero temperatures I'd like to ask, why do you live there???? :dontknow:

Winter (June – August)
In winter, average temperatures range from 6.5 - 14.2°C (43.7 - 57.6°F), and snow falls in the north-east of Victoria, known as High Country. The weather is frequently cold and cloudy, and nights can be accompanied by frosts. Heavy rain is rare at this time of year.

Thjakits, as you get older that 11-12°C feels more like 2-3°C and is just great for the arthritis. :support:

It looks like we are in for an El Nino winter.
October brought 54 mmm moisture. When I drove home Tuesday evening it rained in the valley and snowed like crazy at the farm.
As I get younger, I have lost the taste for snow and cold weather. That -20 stuff sucks big time and I already dread late December and January.
Last year I could not bitch about the snow, because no snow.
A winter without bitching about snow is not a winter, why have it than.
I got a feeling I get to bitch this winter a lot.

PostPosted: Nov 2nd, '18, 09:20 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Gnoib the lowest temperature I've experienced was -6C and that was absolutely horrible, I worked in it all day and could not feel my fingers and toes the whole day. That was working in it, not living in it.

How you people can live in tempratures as low -20C just amazes me, I couldn't live in those temperatures.

I don't know how people arthritis get on in those below zero temperatures?, or don't they live there?, my arthritis kills me at 10C - 12C. :upset:

My Fish:

PostPosted: Nov 2nd, '18, 20:06 
A posting God
A posting God

From working outdoors doing the WiFI installations on houses in the Winter here my fingers got so cold to this day I can hardly tolerate a chill or my fingers go right back to those days trying to make Cat 5E connections in the snow and sleet. No more Winter sports for this kid. In fact of chilly days you'll find me standing in front of our wood burning stove with my fingers facing the flames. Insulated underwear is now my best friend. Oh damn I've turned into my father :shock:
Brian

PostPosted: Nov 2nd, '18, 22:03 
Legend Member
Legend Member

joblow wrote:
Gnoib the lowest temperature I've experienced was -6C and that was absolutely horrible, I worked in it all day and could not feel my fingers and toes the whole day. That was working in it, not living in it.

How you people can live in tempratures as low -20C just amazes me, I couldn't live in those temperatures.

I don't know how people arthritis get on in those below zero temperatures?, or don't they live there?, my arthritis kills me at 10C - 12C. :upset:

That arthritis thingy, well at least I know than were every joint is. :D

The worst of the cold is the wind, no matter how well you are dressed, it cuts just through you.

That's why my retirement planning include relocating to Portugal, 4 seasons, but no snow and maybe a week with mild frost :D

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '18, 05:03 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Push a head with that Portugal relocation, that sounds like a good plan. Then give it 5 years and see if you want to return to Colorado or not :laughing3:

My Fish:

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '18, 06:24 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I am a Kraut, once I leave here there is no way to return. So make the home and the very best out of it.
I am looking forward to rediscover Europe, it has so many different flavors.

No snow, what can beat no snow :D

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '18, 08:17 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Best of luck for when you do re-locate, and avoid the snow in Europe.

My Fish:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next