All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Dec 11th, '18, 01:51 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
wow, nicely done! I tried starting meyer lemon tree indoors to transfer outdoors later and it didn't do well. Got too lenky with no strength. Maybe I need to just start them directly in the AP and let them grow in the greenhouse... I was planning on putting them in 5 gallon buckets and bringing them indoors in the winter, but I'm keeping the greenhouse mid 40's so maybe they would be OK in there during the winter.

I bought a whole bunch of different "dwarf" tree seeds to give them a try but they didn't do great starting them indoors.

Can you post a picture of your trees? And your new greenhouse for the overall picture too not just the close up inside!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 11th, '18, 08:21 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Sure. I will take some pics tomorrow/as soon as I remember to and post them up.

My trees are still tiny. They started out with 2 leaves each... down at gravel level... as in laying on the gravel. Now the tallest one is maybe 6" tall. They are currently buried in kale and swiss chard. So they will likely start stretching for light.

Meyer Lemon trees will do just fine in cooler temps. I had my potted tree in a greenhouse that got down to 25deg F on occasion. Then this past Winter they were left outside for several days in temps that dipped as low as 19deg F.

That 19deg unprotected did it in! It died all the way back to the base of the stump.

When I moved this past spring I cleaned out the Aquaponics beds and poured the fish poop onto the lemon tree. It is now a bush and bigger/healthier than before. It seems that they like fish poo.

You could probably get away with cutting your lemon tree back to 4 -6" off of the ground in late Winter and it may bounce back into a bush by the end of next Summer.

When mine died back to the stump it had NO sign of life for a very long time. Then one day.... started to grow.

I just need to get them some more light.

PostPosted: Dec 11th, '18, 23:35 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

On a side note that I forgot to mention... that lemon tree did not die back when protected in a greenhouse in upper teen temps once.

Here are some pics. The project is still under way. Still need to do the final sealing and staining of the wood. My original design was just to leave the whole thing open year-round. However, I was living in Mobile, AL and moved to Virginia just a year later.

In a perfect scenario, the long wall of this would be facing due South and hit by sun from sunrise to sunset to absorb all of the heat energy as possible. Then the North long wall, the entire bottom box area, and the East/West small walls would be thick insulation.

For now this only sees sun around 4hrs a day during the Winter... until more leaves fall off of the trees. It's the only spot I can put it though.

Also, The Twin Walled Poly I have on the roof is the way to go! I put the single wall polycarbonate all the way around the sides because it was probably $5 cheaper per panel. However, After you add in the extra pain it is to work with... the extra time to install... and all of the extra hardware. You end up with a greenhouse that is not as well insulated and requires lots of caulk... which I still have not done yet. lol

It has been raining for the last week or so here. So really humid in there right now.

Pics to follow... I apparently have to resize all of the images.

PostPosted: Dec 12th, '18, 00:05 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

It took me a while to figure out how to resize them. What a pain... lol

Threw some pics of the new Sarassa Comets and Shibunkin Comets in as well.

During the Summer I will turn the main planting containers back strait and just leave that front door propped open like that.

Fish...

Attachments:
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG [ 265.36 KiB | Viewed 1498 times ]
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG [ 279.75 KiB | Viewed 1498 times ]
IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG [ 231.13 KiB | Viewed 1498 times ]
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG [ 174.42 KiB | Viewed 1498 times ]
IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG [ 247.06 KiB | Viewed 1498 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 12th, '18, 00:15 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Exterior of the greenhouse.

The rear has a large auto-open vent that uses no power and starts cracking open @ 70deg F.

All of the 3 other walls open fully.

I will add the Lemon tree pics later. Got to get ready for work...

Attachments:
IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0833.JPG [ 293.56 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]
IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG [ 258.33 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]
IMG_0839.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG [ 270.58 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]
IMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0840.JPG [ 287.1 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG [ 241.73 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 12th, '18, 12:37 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

And... finally... the Improved Meyer Lemon tree cuttings...

Any of the Lemon tree leaves you see touching the gravel... are all that you could see of the cuttings when I shoved them in. They were 3" to 4" into the gravel. In about to 1" to 2" of water at their base.

These cuttings were taken in late Summer after the new (thin barked) growth had time to stiffen/toughen up a little.

In the background you can see some more cuttings I just stuck in a few days ago. The neighbor had some trumpet flowers and gave me some cuttings before his plants died off in the yard. They look like they are greening up some already. If/when they take off I am going to feel a little guilty when I rip them out of the way. lol

He is SUPER interested in aquaponics after seeing my system. Keeps asking me questions about it and said he has started reading up on it.

Attachments:
IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG [ 244.29 KiB | Viewed 1468 times ]
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG [ 263.08 KiB | Viewed 1468 times ]
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG [ 252.76 KiB | Viewed 1468 times ]
IMG_0834.JPG
IMG_0834.JPG [ 291.67 KiB | Viewed 1468 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 21st, '18, 06:54 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Nice job. My issues with my lemon trees were they we're indoors in dirt so I was either not watering them enough or watering them too much, and they didn't have enough light so they stretched and were quite tall with no strength. Eventually they died.

PostPosted: Dec 21st, '18, 07:00 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

rininger85 wrote:
Nice job. My issues with my lemon trees were they we're indoors in dirt so I was either not watering them enough or watering them too much, and they didn't have enough light so they stretched and were quite tall with no strength. Eventually they died.

I will have to wait and see if mine last the Winter or not. Colder months are ahead. Sun is getting lower. Lots of un-ending rain lately. The other plants around them are getting bigger and drowning out the light.

Only time will tell the tale.

Remind me to post an update in 5 months and I will!

Thanks BTW...

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '18, 21:32 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Good Morning
Seeing your AP setup and on the porch made me wonder why it isn't colder and snowy over there right now?
Attachment:
Virginia-Beach-Sapello-NM.png
Virginia-Beach-Sapello-NM.png [ 487.97 KiB | Viewed 1396 times ]

You're now further north than we are here in north-eastern New Mexico. We've had four light snows (3 to 6 inch) already. We are super high in altitude though 7100ft), maybe that's the difference. :dontknow:
I have some friends that are lifelong Virginia Beach residents, I can ask them if this is a weird year weather wise. I suppose every where the weather is changing, I'm curious. :dontknow:
Brian

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '18, 22:16 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

boss wrote:
Good Morning
Seeing your AP setup and on the porch made me wonder why it isn't colder and snowy over there right now?
You're now further north than we are here in north-eastern New Mexico. We've had four light snows (3 to 6 inch) already. We are super high in altitude though 7100ft), maybe that's the difference. :dontknow:
I have some friends that are lifelong Virginia Beach residents, I can ask them if this is a weird year weather wise. I suppose every where the weather is changing, I'm curious. :dontknow:
Brian

Depending on which frost zone map you are looking at... we are eithr USDA Zone 7B or 8A here. We are protected by Warm Waters here on pretty much all sides. A little further inland and temps fall off rapidly... and there are even ski resorts a few hours from here in the Mtns.

Virginia and NC have had some pretty serious snow storms blow through this year already. By the time they got to where I live... they were just a cold rain with occational snow showers that melted as soon as they struck the ground. Snow does not stick here usually until deep into actual Winter in Jan & Feb.

I believe one area in NC got over 30" of Snow not too long ago. There are Cold, Snow, and Rain records being broken all over our nation and even the world right now. The news just refuses to cover it (Does not fit the meme/narrative).

The water all around the city I live in makes it a bit more resistant to the cold. I commute down to NC daily. On the drive home I will see temps drop as much as 10F lower out on the countryside just 20mi to the South of where I live.

There are a few YouTube channels I have been watching over the last few years that have opened my eyes to the weather patterns we experience. They began saying a few years ago that the East Coast and parts of the Central US will start getting Winter Weather and the West Coast should warm up. We are slipping deeper and deeper into a "Grand Solar Minimum" over the next few decades. It is stacking up to look like it will get colder than the Maunder Minimum several hundred years ago also known as "The little ice age". Warnging... this is a deep rabbit hole! Knowledge is power though.

You can learn about the Earths entire geological temp records(Pretty cold right now in comparison to history). Solar Minimum/Maximum and Grand solar min/max. Multi decal oscillations and their effect on ocean currents/ice in the artic. How the Earth's orbit and distance from the Sun changes and how that effects temps since the N Hemisphere is sometimes facing away from the Sun during the winter... which makes it Colder. Things like how when the Sun slips into a deep grand solar minimum it no longer protects the Earth from deep solar winds and radiation... causing cloud cover to form much faster in the atmosphere for accelerated cooling... as well as increased volcanic activity (Notice all the volcanoes and earth quakes showing up lately)

There are many YouTube channels... with actual scientists speaking. Expect lots of technical jargon that will be confusing @ first but will make sense in time as you learn about them. Some good places to start are Adapt2030, Tony Heller, and Oppenheimer Ranch Project.

Attachments:
Frost Zone.jpg
Frost Zone.jpg [ 164.95 KiB | Viewed 1389 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 26th, '18, 00:46 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I've read quite a bit several years ago that suggested we were headed towards a new ice age and that the emissions we are producing was actually offsetting the next ice age.

I know there are very simple ways to see that the Earth's axis has changed, just go to an airport and look at the markings along the runway that tell you what direction they run, compare old maps to current maps you'll see the runway angles changed over the years even though they are in the exact location. Simple science that anyone can verify and not just believe what the media wants you to believe.

PostPosted: Dec 26th, '18, 00:48 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Brian your elevation makes a big difference. We are way north, but only at about 900ft of elevation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9