PostPosted: Jul 2nd, '13, 21:21 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
Great question!
I ate guinea pig in South America,
Dog in China,
Snake in Vietnam,

And I didnt even think about the option of eating my goldies. Now I think of it the comet that I have in with my perch is growing just as fast at the moment.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Eating goldfish
PostPosted: Jul 7th, '13, 11:27 

Are you human?: yes
According to what i know, ppl whom i know havent had gold fish as part of their food yet. Wouldnt dare to try lol. Carp is widely eaten in some part of asia. In sg, most ppl prefer salt water fishes due to 2 reason. 1st ...... they taste better, doesnt smell of mud. 2nd is due to bone issue.... fresh water fishes tend to have many small bone, nt child friendly。 lol

However we do eat freshwater fishes like patin, carp etc。 a personal preference i guess。 i still prefer salt water fishs。 lol

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '13, 11:31 

Happyfarmernt wrote:
Great question!
I ate guinea pig in South America,
Dog in China,
Snake in Vietnam,

And I didnt even think about the option of eating my goldies. Now I think of it the comet that I have in with my perch is growing just as fast at the moment.

Gee. How does guinea pig tastes like? Personally, i tried, bat, dog, rabbit, snake, pigeon, as exotic meat hee hee. Doesnt really like snwke as they r rubbery feel

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '13, 17:57 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

daywalker wrote:
Gee. How does guinea pig tastes like?

Unremarkable but mostly I remember the tasty crackling of the skin

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '13, 19:04 
Legend Member
Legend Member

daywalker wrote:
Carp is widely eaten in some part of asia. In sg, most ppl prefer salt water fishes due to 2 reason. 1st ...... they taste better, doesnt smell of mud.

I wonder if this would be less of an issue with Carp raised in a clean, mud and gunk free Aquaponics system? A lot of people don't like eating mullet for the same reason (muddy taste), yet we grew out and ate 30-40 sand mullet (a brackish water tolerant fish) last year in our aquaponics system and they tasted great.. very clean flesh, and very similar taste to the best whiting or bream I've eaten. Totally different taste to wild caught mullet.

I for one intend to trial a few carp in one of our aquapoincs tanks here as they are in plague numbers in the rivers where I live.. I want to try eating them and if that's no good, feeding them to our cats and dog

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '13, 19:24 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: homo aquaponicus
Mom use to mince carp in a meat blender to take care of the small bones. She then made curried "fishballs" in the oven.
That was 40 years ago and i still have nightmares!

"The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad"

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '13, 20:32 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: occasionally
Thai fish cakes would be good just use the blender and add heaps of strong aromatics to hide the taste.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2627/thai+fishcakes

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '13, 21:37 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: family Hominidae
Citizen Peng has a market for his AP produced Goldfish - apparently they are 'quite delicious but a bit bony!'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CS00GhVWxu0#t=187s

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '13, 22:00 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: I THOUGHT I was...
Holy carp, Charlie!!! $12AU for a single comet?!?!?!?! I'm paying .14 cents US/ea for smalls. I wonder what it would cost to export. Anyone crazy enough to pay that? .... ;)

Personally, I think my hands are too big for the size fillet knife I'd need for goldfish...

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '13, 22:06 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
they are really slow growers compared to like trout etc so why would you want to.

Here in Aus its cheaper to buy trout than goldfish anyways... pound for pound goldfish are one of the most expensive

PostPosted: Jul 8th, '13, 02:41 

jono81 wrote:
daywalker wrote:
Carp is widely eaten in some part of asia. In sg, most ppl prefer salt water fishes due to 2 reason. 1st ...... they taste better, doesnt smell of mud.

I wonder if this would be less of an issue with Carp raised in a clean, mud and gunk free Aquaponics system? A lot of people don't like eating mullet for the same reason (muddy taste), yet we grew out and ate 30-40 sand mullet (a brackish water tolerant fish) last year in our aquaponics system and they tasted great.. very clean flesh, and very similar taste to the best whiting or bream I've eaten. Totally different taste to wild caught mullet.

I for one intend to trial a few carp in one of our aquapoincs tanks here as they are in plague numbers in the rivers where I live.. I want to try eating them and if that's no good, feeding them to our cats and dog

But strangely, in malaysia, some fresh water fish which are raised in mud pond doesnt taste muddy at all. U can guess that the restuant is constantly flooded with hungry eater!!!!! And some fresh water fishes can fetch some crazy price! $300 per kg. Well, tat the price for sturgeon fish

PostPosted: Jul 8th, '13, 02:46 

jono81 wrote:
daywalker wrote:

Ahhhhhh.... the key to carp is the method of cookin! Google for some of the cooking tip. U will b amazed that carp is a nice fish 2 b swiming in human stomach.

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '15, 14:46 

Created an account because of this topic!

Tried to raise ants for consumption first time this summer failed. Got on nantic (first hatchling)

I have 4 quail now. Eating their eggs, need to move them out onto balcony. 4x4x4 I think about 3.5 litres for 4 is quail is sufficient rq 1 ft sq per.

Now gold fish just seem easy enough to breed (breeding video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LvfC1Y1odo)

Im kind of giddy right now about this eating goldfish idea.

I see they might not taste as great as salt fish.

Eating tiny salt fish and breeding etc, then cooking and eating whole. I mean pinky sized or as large as Comet goldfish, they look just meaty enough but those uber tiny nail sized ones seems even safer with the bone arguments.

**I will not de-bone the tiny fish for sake of efficiency

FURTHERMORE (giddy)

What about raising & breeding mini squid or crab (especially crab) can that be done in a space of 128 cubed ft or L, and is it enough to allow me to snack on?

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '15, 14:54 

OH what about seahorses?!?!?! :D hahaha!! YES!

PostPosted: May 18th, '16, 00:23 

Hey Batty,

I think what is confusing U in part, is that many people keep goldfish as pets and not food, and won't eat them because they are cared for like family. I know this concept doesn't make sense to everyone, so think of it like eating your sibling, child, or parent, or another person that reminds you of any one or more of these family members. That is why they wont eat them, it feels akin to cannibalism, which the vast majority of people on the planet have a sever aversion to (which is considered both ethically proper and good sense in avoidance of communicable diseases). This stands true for any pet or sanctified animal or otherwise taboo-to-eat critter, which is generally main stream food somewhere else or even locally even as it it also taboo (cats, dogs, cows, rabbits, frogs, fish, birds such as chickens and ducks, and many many more, etc.)
This is something to keep in mind regarding being sensitive to certain customer types when intending to sell; while it's really not unreasonable (nor untraditional if doing so is economical) to eat some of Ur wares, many people will find it off-putting enough to not buy from U and may see you eating your fish to mean that Ur stocks are considerably inferior or they may refuse to buy from you simply on moral grounds (which will probably be the vast majority of people coming to U to buy), unless Ur selling to people intending to only eat the fish.

Ive tried to word this as non-condescendingly as i can, and I see nothing wrong with the approach. For example, I personally adore rats, and have a few. I also some day want to have a snake - most of which eat mice and rats, if not lizards or other snakes. Rats are wonderful pets to so, someone would think I'd never be able to feed a rat, however, there are very unfriendly rats not suited to living the tame and caged life born in litters, and rats are social animals with essential wild educations... releasing a rat outdoors will ensure a slow and painful death for it nearly every time of either starvation or from fights with wild rats that lead to lethal wounds, and if not a predator caught it and ate it if it didn't freeze to death or die of heatstroke with not quite knowing how to pick out somewhere to live in a not-controlled environment unless it got lucky and scroed a store in which case it'll die slowly from poison - there simply just aren't any humane release options except in some semi controlled wildlife reserve that may be able to provide it an education, if they have the space and the rat is even a local wild species, which it usually is not so they'd just put it down, unless they're willing to feed it for the time it take to find it a home which they wont do if the animal is feisty in bad ways for finding a home... I'd rather euthanize it and feed it to a snake or cat while treating it like a cat toy so the predator eats it readily - sounds really off putting, but end of the day, it's the kindest choice choice for the rat, its dead before it's being flopped around (which seems an indignity, until the predator wont eat it because its not moving and im not feeing an animals i care about live to a predator cause that's just cruel... and not eating it as an even bigger indignity to its sacrifice than flopping it around), and flopping it around is the right thing to do by the snake/cat because this way they want to eat it and get the full satisfaction of a seemingly properly earned meal - and this overall approach is a green choice as well.
Most people would really not take well to this, but the rats at pet stores are like the feeder tank of fish; they weren't up to standards, sometimes behaviorally, sometimes because their spots aren't in the right spot. If these animals weren't fed away, we'd either have a released rat plague, or no ability to breed for quality and standards. People tend to avert their awareness from such matters because they don't want to feel the pains inherent in the system, and also avert their awareness from those who don't find value in bonding with something that they have never viewed as anything but food (even as they stand there eating a cow, cat, dog, rabbit, etc., at the repulsion of another). And they view anyone who can do otherwise... poorly. Sensibilities to keep in mind when selling and to avoid rubbing up against if sales are to be good.
Point is, there can often be a happy medium between family-member/fellow-designation and food-designation for an animal or species, and for each person this might be quite different within the wide range of condition-of-matters within the wide range of point-of-views out there.

Anyway, enough off-topic, just giving U another perspective to be aware of, and another view to have at your disposal, if U really do intent to sell. Being sensitive to these matters, even if U don't understand (just approaching it like U have their family member up for adoption to them for those looking for a pet will serve U well), can go a long way to treating customers in ways that they may better gravitate to, which may make or break good business... though i don't know Ur area nor who U intend to market to [customs and such]... nor if U might have people protest Ur approach with an actual protest, depending on where U are.

Outside of that, such as if someone does not have these aversions, then there's the typical considerations of food animal production already well discussed :) .