All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Bodgy's Scrapyard AP
PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '13, 18:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
So it looks like I might finally be making some headway on a system.
:shock:
But it isn't even mine...

Basically I've set up a little comet pond at a friend's house and have the thumbs up to convert it to AP with a single growbed. It already has a bed half 'plumbed up' but needs gravel and pump to get running.
No pics yet but I'll be back around the weekend after this to finish it off. I'm only guessing but the FT is about 200L to 250L and the GB is around 100L. Maybe... ??? Either way the GB is just under half the volume of the FT

I'm calling my thread "scrapyard AP" because of a common element I expect my own systems to have, this one included. And yeah, being a mongrel I'll fill you in on what that is when the pics arrive.
(Probably been done before anyway I'm guessing).

I could explain now but where is the fun in that and without pics it hasn't really happened yet anyway has it? :mrgreen:

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Bodgy's Scrapyard AP
PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '13, 19:06 

Looking forward to it mate

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '13, 17:06 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Didn't manage to get any build pics and ran out of cladding screws but the comet pond is up and running!

Might not be true AP but it is a start.
Basically a wicking bed on top of a drainage gravel biofilter which filters the pond.

I've taken a slightly different approach and installed an undergravel filter in the bottom of the pond.
An airlift takes the water from below the tank gravel and up into the top of the biofilter (the water level is higher than the gravel.)
It is then drawn downwards through the gravel and carried back into the pond via a second airlift.

Attachments:
File comment: The young fella wanted to try and save a shop bought lettuce, that's the only plant in there so far.
Cpmet Pond 3.jpg
Cpmet Pond 3.jpg [ 171.85 KiB | Viewed 7065 times ]
File comment: Airlift return from biofilter to surface of pond.
Comet Pond 2.jpg
Comet Pond 2.jpg [ 112.17 KiB | Viewed 7065 times ]
File comment: Have you recognosed what this was yet?
Comet Pond 1.jpg
Comet Pond 1.jpg [ 173.98 KiB | Viewed 7065 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '13, 17:11 
A posting God
A posting God

Looks a bit like a fridge on its side. Pretty though :)

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '13, 17:14 
Legend Member
Legend Member

A fridge on it's side you say Sleepe?
Got it in one! :D

Still need to finish the cladding and raise the sides of the growbed since there isn't a lot of soil in there after a water gap above the gravel and sand layer. Should be alright for shallow rooted plants for the time being though I hope.

Under the gravel is a perforated sheet (both gravel beds) to allow/encourage even water flow and the water is drawn from that void. The wicking bed is supported by an offcut from a milk crate. Above that is a layer of shadecloth and a layer of rootguard. A layer of sand covered by another layer of rootguard which is then topped off with a decent potting mix.
The water is a little cloudy but better than I expected it to be.

The dogs had been pounding the temporary fence behind it and the pickets had come loose, was starting to get worried they'd defeat it soon.
Saw the old fridge and took the excuse that it would be heavy enough to hold the fence up and here we are.

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '13, 20:42 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

good work Bodgy

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '13, 15:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Thanks. :)
It's nothing flash but since it's main job is being a dog fence support I'm happy enough with it.
Apparently a Bull Arab X Mastiff and a Bully/Mastiff/Rotty X take a bit of restraining when they play together. :dontknow:

I realise that using gravel in the pond will raise a few eyebrows, but I'm treating the pond as an outside fish tank more than anything. As long as the gravel layer stays intact and the air is running it won't go anaerobic. From my experience that should be enough filtration a few goldfish. None the less, the freezer compartment is largely full of gravel too for a second biological filter.
Most of the 'mulm' (old school name for the activated sludge) should stay in the pond undergravel filter so the water flowing into the main gravel filter in the freezer under the garden should be pretty clean most of the time.

PostPosted: Dec 17th, '13, 06:10 
A posting God
A posting God

How did you seal the electrical bits,light thermostat?

PostPosted: Dec 17th, '13, 14:36 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I completely stripped out the fridge body of everything that I could, pulled out heaps of plastic and copper and some evaporator/condenser thingy. There was a surprisingly large amount of scrap pulled out of the old girl.
I had to glue a plastic cap over the ends of a pair of copper pipes that were exposed.
There were heaps of small screw holes and open joints between plastic parts that I had to seal with epoxy. Hopefully it is fish safe epoxy? Time will tell I guess...

One surprise I had was the lubricant in the system that leaked out after I tore the pipes out and had to be cleaned up before continuing. A fair bit of some greasy sealant used in manufacture too that had to be cleaned up or sealed off.

Unfortunately this afternoon one of the goldfish managed to swim in the 10mm (ish) slots on the airlift return to the pond... :cry:
It's their favourite one since he has a little red moustache, they'd already named him "Pierre". Always the way when you name them. So now those neat slots will have to be cut open to let the dopey thing out. I had been happy that he enjoyed playing in the current but never expected him to fit through the slots.
Hoping to get good news or I might be on a long distance goldfish rescue mission this evening. :oops:

PostPosted: Dec 17th, '13, 14:46 
A posting God
A posting God

Usually I just shove something in the hole tightly and silicone it, there again I can be a bit bodgy. :lol:

PostPosted: Dec 17th, '13, 15:22 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: YES
leave him in there - he'll slim down after a while :)

PostPosted: Dec 17th, '13, 17:56 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Silicone probably would have been my first choice Sleepe but I couldn't get aquarium silicone and I was in a bit of a rush to get it sorted. Always good to be a bit bodgy too mate! :shifty: (Wait until I start talking about my car repairs over the years)
If he was mine I would have left him to his own devices mattyoga but he's fast become a favourite, being the most active and having a face and all... :roll:

So, the vents have now been cut open and Pierre the little @#$% is liberated.
A little bit bummed out about the slotted airlift opening having to be hacked up because I thought it looked neat but I'm sure I'll find something to cannibalise for parts to cover it again. I'm betting something from a dishwasher or a washing machine :D scrapyard being my thing and all. Maybe the airvent from a car? Ooh, I do like that idea, directional outlet... A bit rough aren't I? Might be a good idea to keep the masculine mods for my own setup though.
I don't mind the forced mods for his freedom though. It would have been sad if his little corpse was held against the inside of the outlet in full sight. I could pull him out (in bits) but wouldn't wish it on his owners!

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '13, 13:30 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Brief update time.
Some critter has taken 2 of the goldfish and murdered the third...
Unfortunately I heard that my employer may not be operating next year so to play it safe I'm staying local these holidays. Have to put off the repairs/restocking of the pond.
Thinking we'll have to mesh over the pond, as much as that doesn't appeal much...

If we plant it out with lillypads and duckweed do you think that'd protect the fish from birds?
Have a feeling that mesh is the best answer, despite it's lack of aesthetic charm.

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '13, 17:27 
A posting God
A posting God

The black bird netting for fruit trees is not too obtrusive. I stuck 4 of the worm farm layers in zip tied them together and put duckweed in (they just float and it stopped the goldies eating the duckweed for a while).
I never counted on my grandson pulling on the tethering rope and spilling most of it though. :roll:

PostPosted: Dec 23rd, '13, 02:45 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: 01111001 01100101 01
Sleepe wrote:
... I never counted on my grandson pulling on the tethering rope and spilling most of it though. :roll:

Rookie error! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next