All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1553 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 104  Next
PostPosted: Aug 26th, '14, 08:01 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Yes
I just tested the water in my offline MT today. Nitrates 80-160ppm, nitrite 5ppm and ammonia 0.25-0.50ppm.
Mt is aerated with 3 air stones, 30 gallon brute trash can, and I have a regular pump swirling the water and fish effluent around. What kind of values are others getting in their MT?

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 101.94 KiB | Viewed 9539 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '14, 10:04 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
my MT is solely and only ammonia. but good that you started... I want you to try this. after you leave the solids to settle out and you remove the water.. left the solids and top up the MT with fresh water. start back the aeration and tell me if you get any more high nitrates reading still..

Cookie's System
Cookie's page

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '14, 11:17 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Ok will do next time.

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '14, 20:20 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Denitrification is most definitely happening in the aerated MT.. I have a KH of 1, the water in my system and source water has a KH 0. I wonder if nitrification and denitrification is happening all at the same time?

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '14, 20:32 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

it is possible... if sludge is building up underneath the moving waste it is possible that it can happen.

Cookie's System
Cookie's page

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '14, 21:01 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Denitrification is definitely happening. I only seem to have nitrites this morning.. Ammonia and nitrates have gone down. Hard to see in picture but ammonia is possibly between 0-0.25ppm and nitrate is between 10-20ppm. Nitrite.... Well 5+ppm... I did add some molasses yesterday. That must have created a different kind of "food"for the bacteria.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 51.33 KiB | Viewed 9497 times ]
PostPosted: Aug 26th, '14, 21:01 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Oh, and ph 7.2

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '14, 21:35 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: barely
My nitrates were low last time I checked, maybe below 10ppm? I don't have my logs on me now. But at least 70% of the N that is not assimilated by the fish into biomass comes directly off the gills (and urine as well?) into the system water as ionized ammonia. The rest is locked up in the solids as organic N. How long have you been running your MT? My guess is you have almost equal nitrate readings in your system as well?

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '14, 21:51 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I have only ran the MT in this manner since the 21st. Before then it was used as net tank (UVI style). Actually I have high nitrates in my system 80-160ppm. 0 nitrites and close to 0 ammonia. I will continue to monitor MT with tests and see what comes of it. I may have to improve the way my pump in the bottom of MT distributes the flow to better agitate the solids. I have an idea but not enough time to do it this morning.

PostPosted: Aug 27th, '14, 08:21 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: barely
I didn't see your last water quality test before my last post, my apologies.

The point of a MT is not to obtain a higher level of nitrate (or total N for that matter), it is for all of the other good stuff. Nitrogen mostly comes from the fish gills in the form of ammonium and is quickly converted to nitrate in a system with proper biofiltration.

To address your last water quality test. According to Timmons, "Total ammonia nitrogen is fairly low for fresh aquacultural sludge, but can increase drastically if the sludge is left undisturbed for a period of time and mineralization occurs under anaerobic conditions." So if going off of this, your ammonia would be rising if denitrification was happening.

I have been running my MT for 6+ weeks and have yet to see any significant nitrification happening. I leave that to the biofilter in the AP system. I know there's a lot of phosphorous in the sludge, as well as some Ca (not quite enough for plants IMO) and Mg. I don't think there's a lot of K, but I added potassium sulfate in my MT so when I dose my systems it comes with enough K. That also throws off my sulfur readings but I have never seen a sulfur deficiency that I know of even before I started using potassium sulfate. Also, I haven't gotten a reading of iron over 0.2ppm yet from the MT. I don't have the equipment for the rest of the micronutrients. Keep us updated on your trials.

PostPosted: Aug 27th, '14, 08:33 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Samuel.. you are the perfect person to perform to test.. can you remove some solids and add it to a separate containment and just leave it to digest anaerobic for about 4 to 5 day and test to see if u get K and PO4. secondly the reason y you aren't getting much nitrification happen is because ammonification step is exclusive to anaerobic decomposition and is very limited in aerobic instances. so without ammonia you get no nitrification. but anerobic release ammonia is large amounts quickly....

Cookie's System
Cookie's page

PostPosted: Aug 27th, '14, 08:38 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Image tested for potassium before and after agitating solids in the bottom of MT. After test is what you see between 2-5ppm closer to 5. The before test was between 1-2 ppm. So yea there is a lot of phosphate it the poo.

I appreciate the info you shared Sam. I will continue to test my water. I believe parts of the sludge had been left undisturbed which caused it to go anaerobic. So that matches up with what Timmons said. I still has very high levels of nitrites 5+ ppm. Between 5-20ppm nitrate. Didn't take an ammonia test yet.

I did improve on the pump configuration agitating the sludge in the bottom of MT. We shall see by tomorrow if most of sludge is suspended or if it has settled out in another spot of the tank. Thanks for all you guys input so far.

PostPosted: Aug 27th, '14, 08:47 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

And here is the ammonia test.

PostPosted: Aug 27th, '14, 09:17 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Iron test to the left two samples from MT and on right one sample from system water.. It's supposed to turn.pink when iron is in the test sample.. It seems there is no iron in MT?!:?

PostPosted: Aug 27th, '14, 20:03 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

There was iron in MT, just took longer to show up on test.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1553 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 104  Next