All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2722 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 182  Next
PostPosted: Sep 4th, '18, 04:51 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
boss wrote:
On their site Scythe supply, they suggest "You'll never want to use a weed eater again," Hehe, I already never want to use a weed eater again.
:wave1: Just make sure all the pets are up in the house before using the scythe! :wave1:
Another cool device similarly defined in horror stories is the sickle bar mower for small tractors.
Attachment:
sicle-bar-mower-3-point-hitch.jpg

I'm thinking instead of hiring a hay cutter, cutting less and and the best hay then stacking the loose hay in our barn the old-timey way.
Man that sounds like a lot of work just writing about it. :shock:

We handstacked loose hay in the hayloft above the barn. The hay forks had 12 feet handles so they could reach into the loft, were the next guy took it and stacked it. Because of the humidity every 5 layers had to be salted.
We did so 120 tons of hay, good for one winter. As the youngest I had to do the salt and the stacking. You are talking about a rash from the salt and haydust. Man was I happy when my dad hired a baler and a conveyer, for the first time, middle 60s.
Stacking them bales was a piece of cake.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '18, 04:54 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
I like the gutter. Can you legally collect rain water in NM.

I collect my rain water were ever I can have gutters. I have no well or hook up, so I can legally collect rain water in CO.

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '18, 09:16 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
Nice work Brian it's always the most exciting when things start to fall into place. Seems like you are making progress quickly now.

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '18, 21:10 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Good morning
I went to bed too early, sigh.
Awake at 4:30, sigh.
Been here, over at Permies.com as well as the Washington Post reading, now the yawns are overpowering me. With the quantity of good strong coffee in me I should be jacked up, yet the eyes say otherwise.
We stayed pretty busy yesterday. I started out with a a couple mile hike, wound up in my father's barn looking for a wood working bench clamp.
One of these:
Attachment:
woodworking-bennch-clamp.jpg
woodworking-bennch-clamp.jpg [ 48.63 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

I didn't find that bench clamp, but I found some other tools I've been hoping to try.
Attachment:
Old-wood-working-tools.jpg
Old-wood-working-tools.jpg [ 110.26 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

The spoke shaves are what I found, I already have three good draw knives which I was using for a project I'm doing for my son's birthday. The spoke shave with the curved blade I cleaned up and attempted to sharpen, but I need round sharpening stone to get it sharp? I think if I have time I'll paint these little woodworking charms, maybe it's just me but I think these are handsome tools.
One of the projects I need to consider is storage and display of tools as I can already see what a pain in the rear having tools in the mechanic's toolbox is with its sticky drawer sliders.
Attachment:
Old-wood-working-tools-spoke-shaves.jpg
Old-wood-working-tools-spoke-shaves.jpg [ 132.3 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

The other little tool I believe is a chisel sharpening jig, but I may be wrong. I don't know if you can see it well enough, but I'd like to know what you think.
Here is the one I bought on Ebay:
Attachment:
honing-guide.jpg
honing-guide.jpg [ 18.11 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

They both have a place to hold a chisel or something similarly shaped.
The old one doesn't have a roller to keep the guide level with the whetstone, so I don't know how useful it is.
Anywho, last evening I worked in the shop adding florescent fixtures to get the light levels up where an oold guy can see what he's doing.
Attachment:
Adding-florescent-lighting-shop-wide-Sept-3rd-2018.jpg
Adding-florescent-lighting-shop-wide-Sept-3rd-2018.jpg [ 194.07 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

We got another glorious and gentle rain yesterday evening. Our friends Hugh and Melissa are camping in the meadow on the hilltop. They were out in Wagon Mound visiting Jeff and Camille during this beautiful shower.
Attachment:
Evening-Sun-shower-New-Mexico-Sept-3rd-2018.jpg
Evening-Sun-shower-New-Mexico-Sept-3rd-2018.jpg [ 225.77 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

Looks like my gutter is holding water for the most part, I saw one spot where there is a hole in the gutter that was flat when I found it.
I marked it while the rain was coming down so I can find it today and silicone it.
Nell and went to town for supplies yesterday. Among other things we bought gutter mounting kit, so I can attempt to straighten the water run inside the gutter. Currently it is holding water in two places and I hope to be able to fix that somehow. Once I bend bash or generally get the old gutter straightened I'll screw it in place with more hangers. Yeah I got to keep the faith, otherwise I did a lot of work putting up a gutter that instead of running rain water off, holds it for mosquitoes to breed in.
Life is good. I still need to figure out what to do today.
I cancelled one of my monthly chiropractic routines because I want to try a procedure which was recommended by Doctor Lilly Blecher at Taos Whole Health:
Something I believe is called Endonasal Cranial Adjusting. The chiropractor puts a ballon up the nasal cavity and moves the bones around... :shifty: I don't know, but even though it sounds kind of scary I'm willing to try anything to lower the level of ringing in my ears

What I do know is tinnitus sucks big time. I wake up with ringing and I go to sleep with it. I'm totally surprised I still have a sunny disposition. :wave:

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '18, 02:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I thought mine was from music/ear buds when working. It's diet...... Salt related......and not listening at high volumes......

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '18, 11:09 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Occasionally
Yep, it's a chisel sharpening jig. I also use mine for sharpening my plane blades. I like the spoke shaves Brian. I hope the blades aren't too far gone (they're probably good quality steel).

"Man was I happy when my dad hired a baler and a conveyer, for the first time, middle 60s.
Stacking them bales was a piece of cake."

Ha ha ha. Gnoib, I thought stacking the bales was hard enough. (Only ever used the scythe for very small clean up jobs so I never got tired of it LOL). Mind you, each time it was hay baling time, the temp seemed to suddenly jump up to 100+F. Don't want to go back to the dust and prickly heat ever again (Plus too old and no longer any need).

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '18, 20:20 
A posting God
A posting God

BroHay wrote:
I thought mine was from music/ear buds when working. It's diet...... Salt related......and not listening at high volumes......

Weird, right? How did you find out Adam?

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '18, 23:03 
A posting God
A posting God

Nhibbo wrote:
Yep, it's a chisel sharpening jig. I also use mine for sharpening my plane blades. I like the spoke shaves Brian. I hope the blades aren't too far gone (they're probably good quality steel).

Awesome, that's good to know. One of the youtuber's I've recently subscribed to is Ann of All trades https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkFJmUgzrZdkeHl_qPItsA where she adds "that a lot of the old planes had thin blades and we can buy modern blades that are twice as thick."
I have yet to learn where to get said nice thick blades. There is a nice woodworkers supply in Santa Fe I want to browse on the next visit over that way, even though I may be in for some financial heartbreaks. :laughing3:

gnoib wrote:
"Man was I happy when my dad hired a baler and a conveyer, for the first time, middle 60s.
Stacking them bales was a piece of cake."

Nhibbo wrote:
Ha ha ha. Gnoib, I thought stacking the bales was hard enough. (Only ever used the scythe for very small clean up jobs so I never got tired of it LOL). Mind you, each time it was hay baling time, the temp seemed to suddenly jump up to 100+F. Don't want to go back to the dust and prickly heat ever again (Plus too old and no longer any need).

One of my least fond memories is the damn seeds flying everywhere. They get in everything, including the eyes! :upset:

Here is my little walk around "the projects" this morning:
We had a wonderfully long steady drizzling rain yesterday. I couldn't ask for a better way to get water from the sky :notworthy:
Attachment:
Leak-free-gutter-now-to-straighten-September-5th-2018.jpg
Leak-free-gutter-now-to-straighten-September-5th-2018.jpg [ 127.14 KiB | Viewed 1713 times ]

Before town and PT for both of us I combined two heavy duty florescent light fixtures to make one that worked, but by the time I went in and showered for town and came back to the shop to check on the light, it was out :upset:
Attachment:
Shop-lighting-on-September-5th-2018.jpg
Shop-lighting-on-September-5th-2018.jpg [ 129.9 KiB | Viewed 1713 times ]

After town I checked it again and it turned out to be the bulbs. What should have been a rewarding and quick (are these the same thing") experience turned into a half day project. :think:
I spent a good part of the morning already in the greenhouse trying to keep up with the tomato vine growth.
Attachment:
Aquaponics-training-and-pruning-tomatoes-fulltime-job-September-5th-2018.jpg
Aquaponics-training-and-pruning-tomatoes-fulltime-job-September-5th-2018.jpg [ 111.29 KiB | Viewed 1713 times ]

It appears the addition of iron is already producing darker green in the leaves of the kale.
Attachment:
Aquaponic-Iron-supplement-working-September-5th-2018.jpg
Aquaponic-Iron-supplement-working-September-5th-2018.jpg [ 117.51 KiB | Viewed 1713 times ]

The new beefsteak variety of tomato is finally progressing up to the sunlight. I think the iron is helping there as well.
Attachment:
Aquaponics-training-pruning-tomatoes-fulltime-job-September-5th-2018.jpg
Aquaponics-training-pruning-tomatoes-fulltime-job-September-5th-2018.jpg [ 121.85 KiB | Viewed 1713 times ]

I don't think the trout like the iron all that much. They've slowed down somewhat since I added the iron. That was probably what caused so much trouble earlier this year when we culled 1/3 of the fish. I had thought they were lethargic because I had disturbed the fish waste with my air-lift pump experiments. This trout behavior in the red water looks quite similar, although this time the air pump is in tip-top working order and there is plenty of bubbles in the system.
Welp, that is all for the Brian show this morning.
Have a great day me hearties
Brian

PostPosted: Sep 6th, '18, 09:44 
Legend Member
Legend Member

boss wrote:
BroHay wrote:

From an old school ENT Dr. He looked at all the various tests it took to get to him, and said it in so few words.

I feel it come on when I travel and don't get home cooked meals. Less soda, and more water.

PostPosted: Sep 6th, '18, 12:24 

Interesting about the salt levels.

There are a lot of connections with salts and metabolic disorders including hypertension and diabetes. Hypertension is connected to hearing loss and tinnitus. Most people get too much sodium and not enough potassium (too much or too little potassium can cause problems). The wrong levels of either can cause tinnitus. Caffeine can reduce your potassium levels (probably explains the need to reduce soda) while eating too many chips or prepared foods will up the sodium and can cause hypertension.

I think I've also seen low magnesium is connected to increased diabetes risk and tinnitus as well (eat lots of greens).

PostPosted: Sep 6th, '18, 16:01 
Legend Member
Legend Member

scotty435 wrote:

There are a lot of connections with salts and metabolic disorders including hypertension and diabetes. Hypertension is connected to hearing loss and tinnitus. Most people get too much sodium and not enough potassium (too much or too little potassium can cause problems). The wrong levels of either can cause tinnitus. Caffeine can reduce your potassium levels (probably explains the need to reduce soda) while eating too many chips or prepared foods will up the sodium and can cause hypertension.

I think I've also seen low magnesium is connected to increased diabetes risk and tinnitus as well (eat lots of greens).
If I have water, fruit, and nuts/seeds, driving back and forth is a walk in the park. As soon as I do something convenient, all bets are off.

At the time, all vitals were excellent based on tests run, and even though I do not recall specifically what other info was contained, he also said, "reduce salt intake or you can keep coming back every 6 weeks and paying me my office fee for the same info....." That is if all the other results matched what he was currently seeing. I reduced intake, limited earbud usage, and did not go back for the follow-up b/c things had improved immensely over the initial visit

I also limit ear buds use when working and if mowing/blower/string trimmer use hearing protection.

I had listened to my Bluetooth yesterday, and have some ringing this am along with two loaded mexican baked potato last night for dinner.......

Had not noticed it before, or maybe just focusing on it again since talking abut it? This week has been a bit of deviation from the normal routine.

PostPosted: Sep 6th, '18, 19:53 
A posting God
A posting God

BroHay wrote:
boss wrote:
BroHay wrote:

From an old school ENT Dr. He looked at all the various tests it took to get to him, and said it in so few words.I feel it come on when I travel and don't get home cooked meals. Less soda, and more water.
Amazing how many symptoms come from what we put in our mouths, eh? I'm with you and usually blame the ringing on David Bowie. Now I might need to apologize to his spirit :laughing3:
The Nephrologist I was seeing about halting the production of kidney stones, asked if I ate a lot of salt, before I could finish my answer, he interrupted and said, "don't." I did reevaluate my salt intake which is mostly soy sauce. We now have on hand,"low sodium soy sauce." Now there's a good oxymoron for ya.
scotty435 wrote:

Thanks for this information Scotty. How can I tell what my levels of these are? I've just had extensive blood panels done for the Naturopath, perhaps it shows there. I'll go look at it again today, there is a wealth of information there, it is actually overwhelming there is so much. I have a few more tests to take including a urine analysis, and a fun fun stool analysis, and finally testing for heavy metal. Life is getting interesting in this here modern world, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sep 6th, '18, 21:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

But does it negate the low sodium aspect when you have to add more?

We do the gluten free variant. I am blessed to have a woman who is southern BUT loves Asian cuisine and makes it difficult to eat out b/c it is always a disappointment b/c she does way better for the same price with a few feedings after......

I have also noticed that being on a well, versus the Municipal water system in NM, has made some improvements.

PostPosted: Sep 6th, '18, 22:54 

BroHay wrote:
I also limit ear buds use when working and if mowing/blower/string trimmer use hearing protection.

Good idea - it's tough to have normal conversations and fit in when you've lost a lot of your hearing - I'm in the moderate to severe hearing loss category.

Magnesium is important in a lot of metabolic pathways and apparently also has a protective effect against hearing loss. This is the summary of an older paper but gives you the idea - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0196070994900361

PostPosted: Sep 12th, '18, 19:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Sorry I hadn't been around as much as I would like. I'm still going strong and seem to be holding remission.
Speaking of hearing loss I pulled out and dusted off my electronics repair tools and tackled the shop stereo that was cutting out as it was driving me a little nuttier. I''ve got one speaker pointed outside so I can listen to music while I work. I'm trying to get my grove on while hammering a gazillion furring nails in the chicken wire and lath... then the jam would quit replaced by an even louder hum. :upset: No good.
A friend and I had a audio store back in the day and we had bumper stickers made that read "If you can't Crank it Yank it!
I yanked it.
Attachment:
First-vintage-stereo-completely-dissasembled-resoldered-reasembled-tested-nope-negative-nada.jpg
First-vintage-stereo-completely-dissasembled-resoldered-reasembled-tested-nope-negative-nada.jpg [ 99.12 KiB | Viewed 1663 times ]

Oh well, long story short it wasn't any better after resoldering the connections. It is in the junkyard now.
I dug up one more stereo leftover from my old electronics repair shop. It doesn't sound great, but after cleaning the switches it stays playing although there is the scent of burning circuit boards when it's cranking out the tunes. That doesn't bother me one bit, hehe! Tunes!
So where am I at? Fish for some reason weren't hungry after we got another deluge of rain and that time it was full of hail too. It kind of creamed the back garden, but the greenhouse roof seems fine, although two years ago when rain water from the galvanized tin roof leaked into the fish tank, made our trout sick. I have to wonder if that somehow happened again. I still need to finish the harvest and buy the 2019 brook trout fingerlings. I'll do that as soon as we finish what we're going to do on the exterior of the house for this year.
So here is where that is:
Attachment:
Brians-stucco-lathe-Kitchen-and-west-wall-Sept-2018.jpg
Brians-stucco-lathe-Kitchen-and-west-wall-Sept-2018.jpg [ 142.84 KiB | Viewed 1663 times ]

Attachment:
wide-view-stucco-lathe-Kitchen-and-west-wall-Sept-2018.jpg
wide-view-stucco-lathe-Kitchen-and-west-wall-Sept-2018.jpg [ 137 KiB | Viewed 1663 times ]

Attachment:
wide-view-stucco-lathe-Kitchen-window-problem-solved-Sept-2018.jpg
wide-view-stucco-lathe-Kitchen-window-problem-solved-Sept-2018.jpg [ 126.57 KiB | Viewed 1663 times ]

I had done a crappy job of weather-proofing the windows in the kitchen when we built it five or so years ago and water got in and caused some minor damage. In my usual fretting and scrambling to think of a good way to not let it happen again I imagined putting flashing, or an aluminium sill under this large window. Then we figured out that these recycled windows are made for stucco siding and have tracks for the lath to sit in. As I was working installing the lath it occurred to me that the water can penetrate the cement, but the stucco (cement) protects whatever seal is under it, much like I did when I put plastic sheeting under the tarps covering the sacks of lime and cement in the stucco mixing station to give that perfect dependable water seal. For the stack of cement the tarp protects the plastic and here the cement protects the asphalt paper underneath. I used a liberal amount of good quality silicone sealant around all the window edges and shoved the plaster lath into the gaps all around the edges. Today the silicone should be dry, I'll fold the lath over and make a nice square corner and that window is ready for stucco! I've got one more window to do and three light sockets to lath, plus one spigot which I'll need to do some kind of special cover to keep the stucco off the faucet in case it needs to come out for repair someday.
That's is though.
Thanks for reading
Brian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2722 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 182  Next