All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
PostPosted: Aug 30th, '18, 06:27 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Interesting built, like it.
At my altitude the construction plastic would last 6 month.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 30th, '18, 10:52 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
Gnoib I don't honestly anticipate it lasting more than a year here either... But a year from now I will hopefully not be spending money as quickly as I am right now as I get through all of the classes I'm taking right now and projects get closer to completion.

I'm actually working on my boss now to get my employer to reimburse me for the classes I am taking because there is so much leadership training, presentations, and oral communication skills that are improving due to taking these classes that my employer should consider them professional development and be willing to reimburse me under our tuition reimbursement program. I think I have my boss on board, I am putting an info packet together for him and he mentioned it to his boss today that they needed to talk about the classes I'm taking to get approval to approve reimbursing me... So if that gets approved that is about $3000 back in my pocket soon will be nice.

PostPosted: Sep 8th, '18, 04:03 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

my fish 2 weeks ago now...

There were 2 catfish in the video that looked injured. I had two dead catfish last night, I'm hoping it was those two and I don't lose any more.

PostPosted: Sep 8th, '18, 22:17 
Legend Member
Legend Member

rininger85 wrote:
Gnoib I don't honestly anticipate it lasting more than a year here either... But a year from now I will hopefully not be spending money as quickly as I am right now as I get through all of the classes I'm taking right now and projects get closer to completion.

I'm actually working on my boss now to get my employer to reimburse me for the classes I am taking because there is so much leadership training, presentations, and oral communication skills that are improving due to taking these classes that my employer should consider them professional development and be willing to reimburse me under our tuition reimbursement program. I think I have my boss on board, I am putting an info packet together for him and he mentioned it to his boss today that they needed to talk about the classes I'm taking to get approval to approve reimbursing me... So if that gets approved that is about $3000 back in my pocket soon will be nice.

I cross fingers and toes that you can convince your boss.
3000 beer, aaaaaaahhhhhh, Dollar is a nice lick. :D

PostPosted: Sep 12th, '18, 02:44 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I almost have the second system plumbed up finally... I need to add some supports to hold up the drains that I glued last night and then run the sump to DWC line for the pump and I'll at least be able to get water flowing. I'm starting to think I might be too late for moving the tilapia out there though. We've had some really crappy cold weather lately and I think my water temps are dropping too fast. I think I will probably have to move the tilapia in to my 240 in the house to finish growing them out through the winter which stinks because I'll have to pay to heat the tank but otherwise they just aren't going to grow big enough to make it worth my time to harvest them.

I think I need to get the catfish split out ASAP. I lost a third one last night that had been eaten alive (I saw it the previous day that it had big bites out of it but was still swimming around so I let it go, then last night it was floating dead). I don't know if it's the other catfish eating each other or if it is the bluegills eating the catfish since they have no scales to protect themselves. None of the fish in that tank seem to come to the surface when I toss food in anymore... probably not hungry after eating each other alive.

PostPosted: Sep 23rd, '18, 23:03 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I've lost quite a few more catfish so I finally got around to buying a new net and splitting the bluegills out to their own tank. I am fairly happy with the growth of the bluegills, most of them are close to harvest size in one year... Only a few on the smaller side. The catfish definitely need two years in my climate. They were impressive size but not big enough that I would want to clean them yet. I am down to 8 catfish left out of 25 that I started with. Three of those are injured so I don't know if they will survive. I left them in my sump so I could tell if any of the other five get eaten up now I'll know it was actually the catfish eating each other.

My luck I'll probably start losing the bluegills now because I moved them into the new system that is cycling... It's currently going through the algae stage of a new system. I put some hydroton in one bed and only have one of the tanks being pumped into it right now because I'm still not fully operational, plus I need to buy a bigger pump to run the whole system because I don't want to steal the one off my 240 in the house because I think I'm going to have to move my tilapia indoors and start heating that tank for them... Not going to grow fast enough to finish them in the greenhouse at this point.

PostPosted: Sep 30th, '18, 00:58 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Just brought home 28 yellow perch and 27 more channel catfish. They are in a 75 gal aquarium in the house for now until they get a little bigger and I have room for them in the aquaponics system.

I think i will probably get 25 more rainbow trout in a couple weeks. I need to do some rearranging first. Need to get all of the goldfish and random fish in my 240 moved to a smaller tank so I can move my tilapia in from the greenhouse to free up more room for the trout.

Also bought three bags of hydroton to fill the second AP system up a bit more and get it running better so I can get the second fish tank out there operational.

PostPosted: Sep 30th, '18, 08:14 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Moved all of the pepper and eggplant plants from the garden into the greenhouse to try and keep them growing this winter. We have had a couple frosty nights, was only 38f this morning so the garden is done but the hoop house and greenhouse continue to produce.

PostPosted: Oct 2nd, '18, 05:42 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I bought three 50L bags of hydroton. To my surprise I got two different sizes, "regular" and "giant". I didn't know there was different sizes.

I connected the two fish tanks together so I am pumping water from one into one side of the bed then it falls into the other tank then equalizes back to the first tank until I can order a pump big enough to run the whole system. It will be a while yet because I probably need another 4 or 5 bags of hydroton to fill the beds the rest of the way. I decided I'm going to run hydroton in all three beds seems how I'm not running any filtration it will help capture more of the waste so it's not all in the fish tanks. Three bags of hydroton was a bit over $100 with tax. I still have $1200 or so to pay for my instructor training course in October and November so it will be a bit yet before I get the whole system running but at least it is partially running so I can use the fish tanks.

Attachments:
File comment: Small hoop house AP beds
IMG_20180929_162147632-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180929_162147632-600x800.jpg [ 130.87 KiB | Viewed 1322 times ]

PostPosted: Oct 7th, '18, 05:47 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I gave up on the tilapia in the greenhouse today. They aren't going to grow out fast enough to eat this season. I overcrowded them, I had 200+ tilapia in a 200ish gallon IBC. I had intended to split them into multiple tanks I just never got to it. So I sorted the fish again took the biggest ones indoors to my 240 gallon tank and tossed a heater in there, going to try to get some quicker growth by heating the tank as hot as I can get it to go.

I counted out 76 that were bigger than the others and decided to shoot for 100 so took some smaller ones too (in case all of the big ones were males I could get some females too for next year's breeders). I am thinking I might start over though next year and buy new fish... Maybe try some Mozambique instead of blues just in case the slow growth is bad genes (I don't think it is, because my buddy I gave fish to got the smaller fish and they grew faster I think it was just a temperature and overcrowding issue, maybe food size issue because I ran out of 400 and started feeding them 500 sooner so maybe they weren't big enough to eat the 500 yet).

I still have 100+ tilapia in the greenhouse, the water temps are getting cold, but I'm hoping maybe I can rush the fish indoors to get bigger and then maybe save some more from the greenhouse to grow out more if they haven't died from being too cold yet.

I need to order another pump to run the system in the small hoop house so I can get it running the rest of the way before it gets any colder. I am debating about what type of pump to buy. I like my jebao dc pumps but don't know if there are other adjustable pumps that might be more energy efficient? I don't want to spend more than about $100.. any suggestions?

PostPosted: Oct 7th, '18, 07:14 
Legend Member
Legend Member

rininger85 wrote:
Moved all of the pepper and eggplant plants from the garden into the greenhouse to try and keep them growing this winter. We have had a couple frosty nights, was only 38f this morning so the garden is done but the hoop house and greenhouse continue to produce.

It is definitely fall. Luckily our temps are still in the lower 40s at night, so I have all the stuff still outside.

Tons of Toms and Strawberry and peppers of all kind and potatoes.
Since my outdoor system failed this year, snake food, I do not worry about it.

Cant help you on the pump.

PostPosted: Oct 7th, '18, 08:00 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Lots nicer fall temps than what I have had. Already had snow come down over the last couple weeks.

PostPosted: Oct 17th, '18, 07:45 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

We haven't got snow yet, but my wife's grandma lives about 3 hours north of us and said they got snow over the weekend. Last night marked the end of our outdoor garden for the year. We did get down to freezing last night so the tomatoes in the garden beds died as well as most of the flowers in the garden. I pulled all of the green tomatoes out of the garden to try and ripen indoors, or we might have to decide to try fried green tomatoes to finish the season out. I still have carrots and some lettuce in the garden that should be ok a bit longer.

The hoop house is still going strong, still have happy tomatoes in there at least for now, and the tomato plants I cloned and put in AP in the greenhouse are budding, just noticed my first green tomato on them tonight so hopefully they will pick up as the hoop house tomatoes finish off.

I cleaned my raft bed out over the weekend, it had a few inches of crud in it that I should have captured to fertilize the garden beds with but was in a hurry so it got siphoned to the ground outside. Completely drained and refilled the bed three times to make sure I got as much crud out as possible, refilled and let sit a couple days to warm back up before reconnecting it to the system.

We decided next summer I am going to shut down the AP system in the greenhouse to allow me to do a thourough cleaning and rip out boards that are not looking good already due to my leaky windows, so I will probably take the windows out completely at that time and try something else to seal them better. That will also incorporate some design changes to try and get some filtration added to the system.

Hoop house 2 AP system is plumbed the rest of the way but my bulkhead fitting on one bed is leaking I keep tightening it but think it's about as tight as it can be so if it loses water tomorrow it means I have a leak someplace else and will have to pull hydroton out and drain the bed and reline it. Hope it doesn't come to that. I need probably about two more bags of hydroton to fill that bed the rest of the way, but do have seeds sprouted in one of my other beds that I am using for temporary filtration for the fish. I just tossed seeds in the hydroton and they all sprouted... I like it! I think I might switch the other beds in the greenhouse to hydroton once I redo them next summer.

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '18, 08:01 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I noticed a couple small tomatoes on my cloned plants, with lots of buds. Good thing because the Tom's in the hoop house died the past few nights being near freezing

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '18, 08:05 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Going to combine my posts on the hoop house here moving forward. If anyone sees future posts on the DIY PVC hoop house the original thread was here.. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29040&p=568032#p568032

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next