All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Xtro's first system
PostPosted: Feb 24th, '18, 04:44 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
rininger85 wrote:
tagging along, what kind of fish are you planning on getting?

Tilapia and some red claw crayfish as well.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 26th, '18, 13:25 

Are you human?: YRS
I wanted to grow tilapia and some red claw crayfish as well. I will be following this topic to find out more about the system. But can you tell me if I can set up a aquaponic system outside in Arizona.?

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '18, 05:39 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Tasty Pancakes wrote:
But can you tell me if I can set up a aquaponic system outside in Arizona.?

I don`t see why you couldn`t. You sure have higher temperature there, but ventillation or AC can solve the problem easy.

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '18, 05:46 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a small problem folks. Intreduced some fish to my new system and one died. First he was just sitting at the bottom of the IBC, than onhis side and than upside down. He was like that when I moved him and he was still breathing and swimming a bit when I forced, but really slow. Next time I checked he was dead.

I do have a bit high PH, around 8.4 and forgot to check the water PH where he was kept. The other one looks OK, but not swimming too much, just stitting at the bottom as the other did. I have floating fish pellets ( specially for Tilapia ) but they did not touch them at all.

Is this a PH shock or something else?

I will try to get a sample from their original water and see what PH that was.

First fish in the system, all I used in the water is some Nutrafin Cycle liquid and white vinegar to lower the PH. No other chemicals. Water temp is 21C.

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '18, 07:06 

Are you human?: YES
Sounds like shock, probably from the pH change. I accidentally did the same thing with some bluegill when I switched them between systems and one of them acted like your fish (but eventually recovered). Hung out on the bottom, was unresponsive and listing to the side at first. I gave it a tap and that helped it get going (normally you couldn't get anywhere near these fish). I am pretty sure it was a pH change issue in my case as well.

PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '18, 04:18 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have lowered the PH and bough a liquid to remove chlorine from the water and it looks like they solved the problem because 20 feeder fish survived for more than 2 days without any issues.

I am not sure I had any chlorine left in the water, because the API test kit cannot measure that. All I know is we have a lot in our tap water, but the system was running for a few weeks before I introduced the first fish.

Tomorrow I go and buy a new tilapia. Fingers crossed :)

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '18, 18:10 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

chlorine off gasses to air pretty quickly, so if the system had been running a few weeks that's probably not the issue.

PostPosted: Apr 8th, '18, 04:01 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It looks like one of the problems was the temperature. I bought somem ore fish, and checked their tank and they keep the tilapia somewhere between 25C and 30C. Really warm comparing to my 22C-23C. I just bought an other water heater so hopefully the two units will keep the temp at 25C-26C and my fish will be more happy.

Have 3 Tilapia now, and they look OK, but they dont even eat the feeders fish I have in their tank. They eat some pellets I think.

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '18, 05:17 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Tilapia are not carnivores despite some rumors. They mostly eat algae in the wild. There is a small chance they might eat their young when they are born but I haven't seen it definitively in the 7 or 8 batches of tilapia fry I've raised in the past two years.

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '18, 05:25 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

As a side note, I graded two batches of tilapia yesterday as a spur of the moment decision, I moved them to a tank that did not have a heater in it to start so there was a 10 degree F temp swing from 82 to 72 which is like 28c to 22c in the course of half an hour or so.... While it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done the only dead fish I've seen is one I accidently pinched with the net. So I'm not sure temp is your issue either.

Last fall when processing my tilapia I moved some from my AP system to a tank I had just filled from the hose that would be ground temp of like 50f, it stunned the fish so they were very lethargic but didn't kill them, although that is grown tilapia not fry. And I guess if I had left them in it maybe they would have died but I left a few in my system to see when they would actually die from water temps and it was more like 48f IIRC... Would have to scroll back in my thread to double check the number.

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '18, 08:33 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

probably not the temp alone, but I guess it was the 3 things combined that killed my fish:

1. PH
2. Chlorine or other stuffs in tap water (chemicals or heavy metals)
3. Temperature

In the meantime I solved all these, so now I have no problem. Got 3 adult Tilapia in my tank and they are happy. The second water heater ( 500W ) just arrived today, it`s in the tank already, so hopefully in a few days the temp will go up to 26C-27C.

PostPosted: Apr 28th, '18, 02:28 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ok, fish are happy now, ph is down, temp is up, ready for the plants.

Spent hours on researching grow lights for strawberries, but still don`t know which one to buy. I have 4 X 8 feet long pipes with 20 inch spacing. Need lights for that area.
Also need a grow light for my IBC growbed where I grow greens ( spring onions, basils, lettuce... ).

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '18, 09:46 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back after a bit.... the system looks OK now, strawberries are doing great, I think we can eat some nice fruits this weekend :)

Both grow lights are good, but I will stick with the T5 for the strawberries because that`s cheaper and seems perfect for fruits.

Seed starting is a bit of a problem as they do not start at all. I tried the covered dome or whatever, nothing. I throw some seeds in the media bed... nothing. Now I have some on floating raft, see what happens.

Also managed to buy some Red Claw Crayfish. They love my tanks so far, growing quick. Was wondering if I should buy some gravel for them to make them dig a bit and hide easier... specially for the babies if they do any. Any opinions on that?

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '18, 18:54 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

tilapia do not need gravel for breeding / babies. It would just serve to make your system run dirty. If you want to add something to help babies survive you could put large rocks in that can be easily removed for cleaning. I do this in the breeding tanks so the babies can hide around the edges of the rocks where the adults are less likely to see them and try to eat them. Honestly I wouldn't try to get babies going in the AP system though... they will end up in your filters or grow beds and just pollute the system when they die. If you want to breed tilapia just choose your breeding pairs and put them in a separate system intended for breeding.

PostPosted: Jun 16th, '18, 03:09 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The gravel would be for the crayfish, not for tilapia. Crayfish like digging, and they will keep the bottom clear so should not be an issue.

Just not sure if they need it or not.