Helo all I'm newbie here
My system is 200 litre fish tank
With around 50litre growbed

My system seems already established
My pH getting lower and lower
Then my pH is 5.5-6

I want to buffer it with...Aeration,
what do u think?
Why people not use aeration only to adjust their acidic problem?
I can't find shell or something like that in my place
Beside that,over the time that shell stuff also can cause GH problem too right ?
What do u think ?
Give me enlightenment please

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 23rd, '18, 19:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Hi pimen welcome to the forum
What type of media are you using in the grow bed?
Shells aren't the only way to bring the pH up toward base. Look for Limestone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limestone
A simple test for limestone is the vinegar test https://geology.com/minerals/acid-test.shtml
Good luck
Brian

PostPosted: Jul 23rd, '18, 20:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
given in Jakarta then may not be so easy to get the agricultural products.

ideal options are Potassium Carbonate and Potassium Bicarbonate - often used as an organic fungicide and in wine/beer making. Common in US and Australia etc but maybe not Indonesia. This adds K to the system.

Limestone and lime are likely to be common.
Crushed limestone and agricultural lime may be available (usually just a pulversied pure form of limestone).

If not lime should be available Ca(OH)2 - sometimes as hydrated lime, bricklayers lime or as a drop toilet/sewerage treatment (sanitizing lime). Need to make sure you get a pure form, some whitewashes and cements are blends and pre-mixes.
Hard to say what it would be marketed as in Indonesia and SE Asia but Agricultural Lime is mentioned regularly for your types of soils - so it should be available in rural/farming areas.

I would go the Ag Lime or crushed limestone path - even if you crush it yourself.
Rock limestone will break down at varying rates depending on the pH.
The Ag lime etc tends to be a better buffer.

Hygiene/bricklayers lime will be the most aggressive as it is often quick-lime.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Jul 24th, '18, 15:00 

Are you human?: Yes
boss wrote:
Hi pimen welcome to the forum
What type of media are you using in the grow bed?
Shells aren't the only way to bring the pH up toward base. Look for Limestone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limestone
A simple test for limestone is the vinegar test https://geology.com/minerals/acid-test.shtml
Good luck
Brian

Hello
I use pea gravel
Thanks for the info I will try to search limestone

PostPosted: Jul 24th, '18, 15:09 

Are you human?: Yes
dlf_perth wrote:
given in Jakarta then may not be so easy to get the agricultural products.

ideal options are Potassium Carbonate and Potassium Bicarbonate - often used as an organic fungicide and in wine/beer making. Common in US and Australia etc but maybe not Indonesia. This adds K to the system.

Limestone and lime are likely to be common.
Crushed limestone and agricultural lime may be available (usually just a pulversied pure form of limestone).

If not lime should be available Ca(OH)2 - sometimes as hydrated lime, bricklayers lime or as a drop toilet/sewerage treatment (sanitizing lime). Need to make sure you get a pure form, some whitewashes and cements are blends and pre-mixes.
Hard to say what it would be marketed as in Indonesia and SE Asia but Agricultural Lime is mentioned regularly for your types of soils - so it should be available in rural/farming areas.

I would go the Ag Lime or crushed limestone path - even if you crush it yourself.
Rock limestone will break down at varying rates depending on the pH.
The Ag lime etc tends to be a better buffer
Hygiene/bricklayers lime will be the most aggressive as it is often quick-lime.

Absolutely mate, this is exactly my problem
I don't really know the exact limestone /shell stuff that Australian and American people use in their system
Probably that thing available as a different name,product and package in my place

Yes I try to figure out the limestone basic translation
And maybe find it in agriculture non aquaponic store
Or the worst case I use the raw limestone /seashell that maybe too strong for the system Or already contaminated by other bad things in the wild ?I don't know but thanks for the info and ur suggestion

I will figure out the limestone stuff

Btw is limestone a slow release mineral or fast release?
How big they impact the hardness of the system ?

Based on my knowledge I barely know if u want to raise ur ph u must raising several mineral like ur calcium /magnesium ?
But how big n fast? Im worried they will give too hard (GH)

PostPosted: Jul 24th, '18, 18:05 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Egg shells should also work.

PostPosted: Jul 24th, '18, 18:23 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Locally our pea gravel is limestone. This doesn't suggest pea gravel is limestone there. The vinegar test is pretty easy way to find out. I've been fascinated by youtube videos on making cement & limestone from found minerals. Perhaps this will help you too.

Good luck pimen

PostPosted: Jul 24th, '18, 20:12 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
Probably that thing available as a different name,product and package in my place
Yes I try to figure out the limestone basic translation
And maybe find it in agriculture non aquaponic store

Agriculture suppliers should have it. It is available in Indonesia but sorry only based on English language search.
Sites point to quarries/product etc but don't indicate how easy it is to get for the little people.
eg. https://panjiva.com/Indonesian-Manufact ... /limestone - the small stones would work in a small net bag.

So you will have to figure the local product name and supplier - presumably you have an Indonesian name for the limestone rock. Google and wikepedia etc suggest batu gamping or batu kapur.

You can also often use dolomite rock, not sure if you can get that as a product in Indonesia.

Or the worst case I use the raw limestone /seashell that maybe too strong for the system Or already contaminated by other bad things in the wild ?I don't know but thanks for the info and ur suggestion

Maybe not from the city/harbour/port but a coastal section might be OK.
You can wash it no problem before using.

It wont be too strong - just put it in a net bag so you can take it out if the pH rises to your desired level.

Indonesia manufactures limestone objects/pots/statues etc - so there should be local sources.

Btw is limestone a slow release mineral or fast release?
How big they impact the hardness of the system ?

whole limestone is a slow release, the more crushed it is the faster it reacts and breaks down - surface area.
You can easily put some limestone in a net bag and remove it if the pH gets too high.
To raise pH you will use quite a bit - ie. 500g-2kg and may have to use it a couple of times.

Based on my knowledge I barely know if u want to raise ur ph u must raising several mineral like ur calcium /magnesium ? But how big n fast? Im worried they will give too hard (GH)

that is correct if you use a lot without keeping an eye on things. But you need a lot of calcium to get hard water. That is why Potassium Carbonate/bicarbonate (K2CO3 KHCO3) can be a better option as plants can use the potassium easier than the calcium.

You wont have too big an issue with limestone because it will slow down the release calcium as the system gets over pH 7-7.5. You could put a few rocks in water and then just take them out.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....