All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '19, 06:18 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kachok wrote:
Yes the foam has vanished and the system is looking better. Ammonia is still reading very very high but as I said it cannot be that high in reality. Nitrites are reading at 0.00 nitrates are now reading 120ppm if anyone know a way that it is possible to have that kind of nitrite/nitrate profile and still have sky high ammonia I would love to hear about it. I am thinking either thermal degradation of the testing chemicals or an unknown substance in the water is causing the ammonia test to read that high, it has been that way for a long time.

So it read 2ppm the other day & now it has shot back up? :confused1: .Try with a different test kit,maybe you have sorted it,now the foam has gone & it's just a faulty test.You'll be able to rule it out & then this mystery chemical might be the answer.Like you said,8ppm would kill everything.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '19, 06:54 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Cylon
No issue with temp swings, heated greenhouse keeps water 81-83 degrees. I cannot speak as to the quality of fish food as I did not acquire it, but the fish seem to eat it and it keeps my nitrates in the ideal 120ish range so I will stick with it for the moment. Unfortunately I seem to have lost my helper yesterday, warden wanted to fire him for whatever reason, now I have to find a new helper and teach him the art of aquaponics and hydroponics. This is critical to my success as I do not have a chance to access the system every day and depend heavily on my helper to feed the fish and check water quality. Finding a prisoner with adequate knowledge of water chemistry is harder then you would think, most of these guys never finished high school.

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '19, 11:16 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
When you get readings "off the chart"

To get a more accurate reading

Dilute your test sample with water say 10% water from fish tank and 90% water and retest different mixes to get a reading in the middle of the colour chart

PostPosted: May 15th, '19, 14:30 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I know this is old now,but just interested to know what's happening?.Did you get it sorted? or at least find out what the problem was?