All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 15th, '19, 18:55 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
system in 2nd year - 30 trout. 3 ibc bed+1000

saturday - was happy as i felt like the light blocking i'd done on the ft has cleared the water from the previously brown murky water and i could see the fish and they looked ok

sunday - noticed my slo had disconnected at the top, at the join where it exits the tank.
i took it out - cleaned/washed it and plugged it back. did notice some ominous white froth (ammonia maybe?) but shrugged it off
nitrites were still high so decided not to feed.

monday/tuesday - not fed fish.

wednesday - went to inspect today - the water in the ft is very murky so couldn't see fish - didn't like the smell.
decided to do a water change, so cleaned out my blue barrel filter, ran alot of water out - retested and nitrites at zero.

started to drain down the tank, in a attempt to see the fish - got half way down but fish looked stressed so i chickened out and decided to fill it back up again.

in the filter, and in the sump tank i'm seeing bits of fish flesh but no bones. i disconnected the ft outlet pipe to filter, and filter to sump pipe to see if any dead fish stuck, but only more small bits of flesh came out

now i don't know what to do. i'm frustrated because i can't see a darn thing in the ft - i can hear some the bangs they make when they get scared/stressed but thats all. worried that there could be one or more dead rotting fish in ft and nitrites will kill the remaining.

what should i do?

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 15th, '19, 23:33 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I think the best thing to would be to get the dead fish/remnants out and do as large a water change as you can ASAP.

How big are the fish? Would they fit through the SLO? If so I would try and siphon it all up from the bottom of the ft via the SLO. You'd need to block the air inlet at the top and plumb a hose/pipe on the outflow to get the the end of the outflow to the lowest possible elevation, thus creating a strong siphon with enough power to suck all the stuff up and out.

Its a very critical situation. You need to act fast. Are they of a harvestable size? Do you have another container large enough to house them temporarily while you clean out the system?

PostPosted: May 16th, '19, 00:02 

Sounds like the dead fish has been in there a while since it's disentegrating. The murkiness can be caused by ammonia but hopefully wasn't in this case. If the dead fish is still in the fish tank and you are able to increase the flow rate in the tank maybe you can flush it toward the SLO and collect it there.

PostPosted: May 16th, '19, 13:22 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi
This morning, the waters clear enough to see the fish and they're alive. Ive not/cant count them but they seem ok and some even came up for a feed.
Nitrite levels are zero, so fingers crossed.
Im so relieved. I think i have feelings for my trout!
When i get more time il give the bottom a swipe with the net /syphon but tbh the bottom looks pretty clean .
I think ive got alot of the fish out yest when i cleaned out filter and pipes. I guess it disintegrated alot and flushed into filter/pipe/sump.