All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 16th, '19, 01:29 

Are you human?: YES
Hello everyone,

I have been a soil gardener for a long time and this is my first venture into aquaponics. I have a 80 gallon tank and right now a 2x2x12 grow bed along with a 5 gallon bucket. This is outside. I started cycling my tank about 6 weeks ago using about 15 goldfish ( lost 3 along the way). It took a while to cycle. I tested daily with the API test kit. Some other info and a question at the end:

- Week1/2: The water I started with was tap Ph about 8.6. I used a filter to remove Chlorine.

- My Tap water interestingly enough registered with a 1ppm ammonia (so there was food from the get go for the bacteria).

- The first two weeks literally nothing happen in regards to Nitrates/trites, ammonia. I also did use two bottles of the proline starter.

Not sure exactly the deal here but I suspect water temperatures being too low and possibly ph too high. Every time it rained (and it rained quite a bit) my ph would inch lower.

- Week 3: my ammonia started rising so I used some Micro Lift Nite Out and two days later my ammonia started to drop and I started to see Nitrites.

- Week 4: my Nitrites were quite high….at least 5ppm but ammonia disappeared. I started to freak out that my fish were going to die so I salted the water to 1ppt and held back on feeding.

- Also during this time I started to see my Nitrates go to somewhere between 5 -10 ppm. So yeah….things where moving along!

- Week 5: I noticed the coloring from the API test kit for Nitrites was becoming more “see through” and not as dark purple. A day later Nitrites went to 1ppm then a day after that .25ppm.

- HERE is the weird thing. I would of thought my nitrates would of spiked hard at this point but NOT…it went down to 5 or less PPM. I started to feed again and right now I have zero ammnonia, zero nitrites and zero nitrates. What the heck?

Thank You!

Esc

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 17th, '19, 12:11 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Not before 8am
esc wrote:
HERE is the weird thing. I would of thought my nitrates would of spiked hard at this point but NOT…it went down to 5 or less PPM. I started to feed again and right now I have zero ammnonia, zero nitrites and zero nitrates. What the heck?

If your plants are healthy then the system is balanced, ie: ratios of bio-filtration:fish:plants.

A well balanced system can have 0.0ppm and still have good plant growth.

PostPosted: May 17th, '19, 16:06 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What's the temperature of the water? average.