All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 2nd, '15, 20:57 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: If the temps >-40
Anyone use the powdered Maxicrop? It's cheaper to ship but I can't find a mix rate anywhere not even on Maxicrop website. I have been using 1/2tsp to a gallon of water.... but it would be nice to know actual mix rate.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 11th, '18, 06:22 

Are you human?: yes
I feel like a dummy for just now finding this thread. Been trying to educate myself on the topic for the last couple weeks. My little system is only 20 gallon plus about 3.5 gallons in the grow bed. I added 1.5 grams of soluble chelated iron, DTPA 10%. That is about 2 parts per million. I also dosed the dechlorinated top-off water at 3 ppm or .031 grams in 11 quarts. My plan is to continue dosing the replacement water at that rate.

Reading this thread makes me wonder if I shouldn't routinely add Seasol or Maxicrop to the mix also. I have an almost full one-quart bottle of Liquid Kelp Concentrate from GS Plant Foods (https://www.gsplantfoods.com/liquid-kelp.html) that has been sitting on a shelf for maybe three years. I'm assuming it is still safe and effective and similar to Seasol and Maxicrop. The label says, "For Hydroponic Use: 1/3 to 1 teaspoon per gallon of water." I just added a scant ¼ teaspoon to the three remaining 2-quart replacement water bottles. Added one of those to the fish tank and the water, already yellow from chelated iron, darkened more than I expected. Undecided whether to add 1½ teaspoons Liquid Kelp to the next 11 quart batch of dechlorinated water. I'm surprised by the affection felt for Sara and Maybelle, my two little fancy goldfish. Would be a shame if I couldn't enjoy watching them.

I also see Scotty's advice about foliar spray circumventing the problem of higher pH making nutrients unavailable through the roots. I saw charts related to iron absorption and pH but haven't seen them for other nutrients. My pH has consistently been 7.6 so far. Advice or place to look for more information?

I'm happy to see banana peels mentioned here several times. I saw a warning about them due to pesticides in the peels. Was wondering if should switch to organic bananas before adding them to the grow bed. Also was planning to hold off until I added red worms. 250 worms will cost $27 with shipping from Amazon. Seems a bit dear, especially since I'm not sure if they will be self-sustaining in my little constant flow grow bed.

As always, thank you for patiently wading through my newbie questions and confusion. Any and all advice is deeply appreciated.

PostPosted: May 18th, '18, 06:58 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Less will probably be more appropriate for supplementing on the seaweed extract. You probably only want to add enough to give a little tea colored tint to your water. Like you said, you like to see your fish. (The fish probably wouldn't mind darker water but you would.)

You may not want/need to be constantly topping up with iron supplemented water to that level unless you are finding that the plants consistently need that much iron. Sign of Iron deficiency in plants will be yellowing new leaves with the veins remaining green.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: May 18th, '18, 07:27 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: mostly
>> I saw charts related to iron absorption and pH but haven't seen them for other nutrients. My pH has consistently been 7.6 so far. Advice or place to look for more information?

Look here viewforum.php?f=11
(the table that floats around is in thread "pH vs Nutrient Uptake")

you will find other useful information in the same area.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....