All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Moving system
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '21, 18:08 

Are you human?: Yes
I know this is pretty much unheard of with most designs I've seen here. The deeper I get into AP, the more I see how beneficial an easy to move setup is. At least from my perspective. I'm thinking of doing a thread on 'Chasing the light" because I'm probably not alone where adequate light from 1 spot isn't possible. Evolution seems to be never ending and exhausting!

I'm moving a fully established tower(I think my unit is referred to as dutch bucket?) several hundred miles away.

My thought is to take all the water and leave the fish? Or would they survive the trip without getting car sick?

I'd have to empty the unit bucket & put in sealed containers.

Thanks

A2Z

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Moving system
PostPosted: Jun 18th, '21, 10:53 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
I would dump the water. Depending on size and number of fish you might be able to take them. They just need an aerator. A couple hours wont hurt them. Drive slowly and carefully ie dont slosh them around.

If your taking the water. Why not take the fish. Put a tank in the truck transfer the water. Then poor the fish over. If anything kills them it will be the stress of being caught and stress of being sloshed around. So minimize that. But states have been stocking fish in tankers for years to be transported to lakes and rivers for tournaments. If they can move prize worth trout without killing them you can too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '21, 10:56 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I have to move my chop and flip in November 350 miles. Being moved for work. Not looking forward to it. Hopefull my Blue Gill are big enough to eat before then. Its going to be a shame otherwise.

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '21, 06:07 

Rcmaveric wrote:
I would dump the water. Depending on size and number of fish you might be able to take them. They just need an aerator. A couple hours wont hurt them. Drive slowly and carefully ie dont slosh them around.

If your taking the water. Why not take the fish. Put a tank in the truck transfer the water. Then poor the fish over. If anything kills them it will be the stress of being caught and stress of being sloshed around. So minimize that. But states have been stocking fish in tankers for years to be transported to lakes and rivers for tournaments. If they can move prize worth trout without killing them you can too.

Being the big noob that Iam, I was thinking (take the water for its magical properties). But the magic is in the biofilter right? And the bottom of the tub gravel.? I'm worried about looosing a tower full of goodness which contain not only 25 or so plants but my bf as well

Thanks for input. Verry much appreciated :wave:

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '21, 06:17 

Rcmaveric wrote:
I have to move my chop and flip in November 350 miles. Being moved for work. Not looking forward to it. Hopefull my Blue Gill are big enough to eat before then. Its going to be a shame otherwise.

I don't envy you. Or anbody else that has to move their setup. Our concerns are on opposite ends.

Moving south towards Gainesville? Stop by & have a chat. Either way, good luck with your move

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '21, 11:25 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

No real magic in any of it. Water hold nutrients from fish waste/ecess food. Media hold the bacteria that unlocks the nutrients for plants to use.

Your system should last the move just fine. My system has survived power loss from hurricanes and electrical maintenence just fine with no ill affects. I lost power for a few days once. I was cycling the water by hand with a siphon and bucket every couple of hours. Ammonia stayed around 1. Once the power came on ammonia was gone and everything was back in ballance in 12 hours. Our systems arent as fragile as you think. Fish and bacteria are hardy. Just dont neglect and abuse them.

Grow the beneficial bacteria is the longest and hardest part. As long as your dutch bucket media doesnt dry out the bacteria will be fine. For the fish, feed them well the day before. The day of the move, do a full water quality check to make sure there arent any ammonia or nitrites in their water. The ammonia build up and depletion of dissolved oxygen is what will kill the fish. Adding an aerator will buy you time. I held 45 fingerlings in a 5 gal of water for about 9 hours. 4 hours of travel time then the last 5 hours drip acclimating. I didnt airrate them in the car but i did when i got home. I have learned to drive like my grandma with fish on board. So transport them at about a pound of fish per gallon or two of water. Have clean top up water ready at the new site.

Get a few blue barrels in the back of a truck. Use a pump to transfer the water then pour in the fishes. Add a battery powered bait airrator. I would try to avoid netting the fish as that will stress them but I dont know your system design. You may need to net them, the more stress you induce the more you should expect a loss. Then load up your dutch buckets and way you go.

I am moving to Pensacola, Fl. I hope to start a farm out in Milton. We start house hunting in October.