All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 14th, '22, 07:01 

Are you human?: Yes
Hello my name is Shane Scaife, I live in NJ in the U.S.
I’m in the process of building (Designing) an outdoor year, round system and could use a lot of advice . It will be like the rill water feature in the picture below. The idea is to have a formal garden along with a vegetable garden system. The rill that will house the fish is 4 ft deep, 4 ft wide, and 150 ft long. It will hold just over 18,000 gallons. The water from the rill will move from narrow part of the pond to the round part in the pic. It will then over flow into the growbeds traveling back down the garden beds along either side rill. From the bottom of the end of the grow beds in the pic the water will be channeled through smaller rills to the vegetable garden area. The garden area will consist of gutter wicking system, constant flow media beds, and possibly a raft system . Water will then be collected in a sump, lifted so as to flow back through another water feature (possibly some water fall) back to the pond.

This will be a closed loop system. Added water will come from rain collection and well water.

The idea is to have a system that looks as natural as possible. The garden will consist of a large number of flower beds, vegetable beds, paths, and so on. It will cover 1 1/2 acres and be open to the public. We would also like to possibly have classes on gardening, sustainable living, and aquaponics.

I don’t want the rigidity of a normal aquaponics system. I want to bring an artistic feel. Kinda like modern aquaponics meets 18th century country villa.

So in doing this I need to find a ways to incorporate all the components of a aquaponics system (the bio filter, the waste collection filter, the medium ) into botanical garden setting. I want people to see each component of the system just not as a component of the system, if you know what I’m saying.

Anyway, please give advice and ask questions. This is a basic overview and a design in progress. Excavator is scheduled for next month to break ground.

Attachments:
C92D6326-8CF9-480A-95FC-E6B4C5EDD1E0.jpeg
C92D6326-8CF9-480A-95FC-E6B4C5EDD1E0.jpeg [ 51.33 KiB | Viewed 1606 times ]
    Advertisement