All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
 Post subject: Re: South Australia
PostPosted: Aug 18th, '20, 12:50 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Yeh I normally harvest the trout in Nov. I don't mind sticking them in the freezer early this year really, but I might try and figure out a way to save my silver perch, they are such slow growers, had them so long they feel a part of the family now.;)

Anyone in the Hills want to baby sit my perch for awhile ;-)

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '20, 11:24 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hey Bedlore, how did it all go? I'm also going to be moving my system in the next few weeks from Glenelg area to Mt Compass as we make a tree change. Another plus, it's now only 10 mins or so to tooperang :lol:

I've got around 18 or so rainbows in an IBC setup. I was considering getting another whole IBC or 2 on the back of a trailer, fill with system water and use a camping inverter to plug in my air pump for aeration.

Once the system is empty put it onto a friends flat bed truck (or perhaps a car trailer?) move it to its new home and reassemble. Cut the top of the holding IBC, move most of the water back into the system, net out the fish and rehome.

All this to get another months worth of growth before harvest. Sounds easy right? :?:

Depending on size I might just knock em all off, freeze and have smaller fish to eat this year, it'd save a metric shit ton of mucking around!

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '20, 21:13 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hiya Graf

Still hasn't happened yet, still preparing the house for sale. Probably a few weeks of going to market yet.

Great for you to head to Mt Compass, if I owned Tooperang and access to that constant perfect spring water, I'd be starting the biggest Australian wasabi farm!

Good luck with you move, if you do it before me then update the thread :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '21, 13:46 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: yes
Seems a LOOONG time since I was here. We've moved from Bendigo to Murray Bridge - been here 3.5 years and haven't gotten back to AP yet. Thinking about it now and wondering where to start gathering the needs.

Anyone got a good source for clay balls? My last system used gravel and they were a PITA - WAY too heavy. I found that out when I sold what I had, including some 35+cm silver perch and tandanus. It was just going to be too much to move on a very limited budget.

Also, a source for IBC's that haven't had contamination from chemicals? In Bendigo I had a guy in Shepparton who got them from the milk factory but so far here, haven't seen much available.

Then there is fish stock? Where might I get some fingerlings? The catfish were excellent to raise but not sure if allowed in SA. We had a heat spell in Bendigo and I lost 14 silvers but the tandanus barely blinked.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '21, 14:32 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: unsure
Clay balls from any hydro shop. Which in SA there are still a lot, despite the changes put in place a few years back to curtail the industry.

The last few IBCs I got from a bloke on Gumtree, once used, had some sort of sugar syrup in them. Bit of a bugger to clean. Had to rinse them a few times to the point I was happy with them.

Fingerlings, there is the bloke out towards Two Wells . Bit expensive, but has stock. Or get them from interstate.

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '21, 14:34 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Ohh, and to add. Once you need fish food. Mark Lee fish farm at St Kilda sells by the Kg or full bags.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '21, 07:28 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Brian wrote:
Ohh, and to add. Once you need fish food. Mark Lee fish farm at St Kilda sells by the Kg or full bags.
Brian wrote:
Clay balls from any hydro shop. Which in SA there are still a lot, despite the changes put in place a few years back to curtail the industry.

The last few IBCs I got from a bloke on Gumtree, once used, had some sort of sugar syrup in them. Bit of a bugger to clean. Had to rinse them a few times to the point I was happy with them.

Fingerlings, there is the bloke out towards Two Wells . Bit expensive, but has stock. Or get them from interstate.

Thanks for the info - will do some online browsing and plan a trip into Adelaide.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '21, 14:27 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Brian wrote:

I don't suppose you have more info re the local guy? Haven't been able to find him yet.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '21, 17:31 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
I would get my Trout from the Fly Fishing Association around about August September each year.

I no run only Baramundy from a local supplier at St Kilda.

System MKII
System thread

Datalogger

220L system II

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '21, 05:52 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Johny5 wrote:
I would get my Trout from the Fly Fishing Association around about August September each year.

I no run only Baramundy from a local supplier at St Kilda.

Thanks for the info - wasn't thinking of barramindi as they need time in a salt water tank for best eating results - like salmon they grow fine in fresh water but need the marine environment for best flavour.

Anyone know of Murray Cod or Mulloway sources? Other thant that I'm OK with the perches or catfish - might have to work out a cooling system though - the silver perch were rather sensitive to a rise in temps.

I'm thinking an old fridge and run a hose into it and back to the sump would work for summers here. (if we don't keep getting mostly cooler weather like the past couple of years)

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '21, 07:17 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

https://1aquaponics.com.au/

That is the local bloke. Like I said a bit expensive, but at least you can pick up and get them home.

The interstate options used to be cheaper, haven't looked lately to see what they are like at the moment.

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '21, 11:41 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Brian wrote:

That is the local bloke. Like I said a bit expensive, but at least you can pick up and get them home.

The interstate options used to be cheaper, haven't looked lately to see what they are like at the moment.

Ahah! Mark Lee Fish Farm! Yay!

PostPosted: Mar 22nd, '21, 14:06 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Journeyman wrote:
Brian wrote:

Ahah! Mark Lee Fish Farm! Yay!

Nah, Mark Lee fish farm is at St Kilda, this is another joint.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43