All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Northern California
PostPosted: Jan 25th, '16, 09:26 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Welcome, Thomas! I'm just a stone's throw away, in "West Carmichael" -- the unincorporated part of Sacramento, near Arden & Watt. I'm in the process of clearing my grow bed. But once I've got the winter plants in, you are welcome to swing by my place. Maybe in about two weeks?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '18, 23:21 

Are you human?: YES
Hey everyone I'm just getting setup in Clearlake. I've got a little 6x8 harbor freight greenhouse that I've raised up on a sill and filled with three media beds and a (very) small DWC tote. The fish tank ended up outside the greenhouse behind it so I'm going to have to figure out some heating on that when winter rolls around again. Is anyone else running in the area here that has a disease free system that they would be willing to let me snag a bit of water (read 1 gallon) out of to jump start my system?

PostPosted: Apr 28th, '18, 07:51 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

You're welcome to some of mine, although Sacramento may be a bit out of the area for you.

Pockets707 wrote:
Hey everyone I'm just getting setup in Clearlake. (snip) Is anyone else running in the area here that has a disease free system that they would be willing to let me snag a bit of water (read 1 gallon) out of to jump start my system?

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '21, 11:38 

Are you human?: Indeed
JimV wrote:
You're welcome to some of mine, although Sacramento may be a bit out of the area for you.

Pockets707 wrote:
Hey everyone I'm just getting setup in Clearlake. (snip) Is anyone else running in the area here that has a disease free system that they would be willing to let me snag a bit of water (read 1 gallon) out of to jump start my system?

I’d love to take you up on that offer! Or anyone else in the Bay Area for that matter. Just getting mine flowing and checked for leaks. Will be filling tanks soon!

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '21, 12:19 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

My system is still running, and I'd be happy to give you some innoculated water jas94070.

PostPosted: Jul 8th, '21, 22:01 

JimV wrote:
My system is still running, and I'd be happy to give you some innoculated water jas94070.

That would be awesome! When do you recommend I add that water? Handled my leaks already, so should be ready for clay and water this weekend! I'll send you a pm for contact info.

You don't happen to know anyone closer to SF with a system, do you?

PostPosted: Jul 9th, '21, 01:27 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: On the full moon
Hello! Have you checked Craigslist or Offerup?
I've seen lots of people selling aquaponics components in the SF area, so maybe they'd be willing to share if they have a running system.

But, also, starting/ cycling the system without fish, cycling with pure ammonia will do the trick pretty quickly in summer weather. Remember, the bacteria is already there, it just needs food to grow and do it's thing.

I got a jug from the 99 cent store, just make sure it is called CLEAR ammonia, or Pure ammonia, with no additives or scents.

It works very well. There are a lot of posts on here about how to go that route if you are interested.

Will

Barrel System
IBC System
300 gallon flood and drain system

PostPosted: Jul 30th, '21, 23:26 

What kind of water temp range you guys getting on the high side in summer, and low side in winter? Debating which species of fish, and that seems to matter a bit! I've seen 46 degrees F on a thread here, and I noticed my tank at 76 degrees F here in summer time. Other than burying a tank, or heating, Looks like wrapping tanks in insulation should help. Trying to keep power consumption to a minimum (for a few reasons).

Was thinking Bass could be good for temps and location, but I'm recently hoping for Trout. Trout seems to be an issue with summer peak temps. My 76 degrees peak was with no shade cloth or secondary fans, so it's likely cooler now.

PostPosted: Jul 31st, '21, 03:17 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: usually
I did trout in So Cal and they did well for a few months, then as it warmed up they got some pathogen and died. But they did grow very well for a few months.

Trout become available in September I believe at Greenhill Gardens, so if you can keep them in a chilled aquarium for a month or two? that may get you over the hump to shorter days and cool water, then they should do well through next May/June and be ready to harvest.

I'm in an inland micro-climate where I typically get frost through the winter and over 100 regularly in the summer months. I've seen my water temps range from the 40's to the upper 80's.

Wrapping / burying a tank helps, but not much when you are circulating the water through the hot/cold grow beds. I've been hatching a trout plan where I insulate around my FT, sump and grow beds, cover the media with a plastic sheet for further insulation and poke holes where I put plants. I also think the trout will benefit from better flow and cleaner water than usual AP.

I have my tilapia tank wrapped well, and I heat it to 65° in the cold months with a 1000 watt SS bucket heater. It uses a lot of power.

9 kW Solar Electric 2011 - Upgraded to 12 kW 2019

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Jul 31st, '21, 03:22 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: usually
Los Angeles Will wrote:
Hello!

I got a jug from the 99 cent store, just make sure it is called CLEAR ammonia, or Pure ammonia, with no additives or scents.

Will

That's the same stuff I use! I like the 1/2 gal. bottles over the 1 gal. size since it doesn't take much for cycling. Clear ammonia is hard to find, most common stores have lemon scent or soap added, etc.

9 kW Solar Electric 2011 - Upgraded to 12 kW 2019

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Aug 1st, '21, 03:47 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: On the full moon
I believe my system water temps are usually are in the mid to high 70's in the summer. Low in the coldest parts of winter likely in the 50's, at least the times I've checked. Granted, it doesn't get very cold here in the last 14 years or so.

Usually around 55-58 for winter water temps. I think I hit a high water temp in the low 80's once when it was over 110 outside.

Where are you in Nor Cal?

If you want edible fish, Bass, Catfish, Bluegill or other sunfish could all work for the bay area without worrying about winter heating (most likely).
Insulation definitely helps keep a more constant temp and minimizes drastic swings.

I might be biased, but I think rigid 2 inch foam insulation is a good option. Or whatever thickness you can manage. It can get wet. I have read of other people using fiberglass batting. It probably works great if kept dry. I have seen strong arguments about how it doesn't insulate very well if it gets wet.

I like having something buried, like a sump too , since it seems to moderate the temps a bit, since the ground usually hovers somewhere in the 50's.

I agree that running your system affects water temps. In the winter, the cold from the beds will transfer to the water, and vice versa in the summer. Some sort of cover like a greenhouse/ hoophouse could help keep the overall winter temps up if needed.

Barrel System
IBC System
300 gallon flood and drain system

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7