All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105
PostPosted: Mar 17th, '21, 20:07 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Right when the lock downs started, it was bad since all my restaurant clients were shut down. And everyone expected the farmers to just give the food away or spend money to distribute the food for free. Then after a while I picked up a bunch of new direct customers AND had a Box delivery service start buying produce from me and a Food Charity started buying from me as well (She didn't like how people seemed to expect the farmers to give the food away for free so she found some Grant money and started a non profit to buy from local farms and distribute the food to people in need.) So all in all, the farm is better off than we were this time last year.

Old 300 gallon System

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 17th, '21, 23:45 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
TCLynx wrote:
Right when the lock downs started, it was bad since all my restaurant clients were shut down. And everyone expected the farmers to just give the food away or spend money to distribute the food for free. Then after a while I picked up a bunch of new direct customers AND had a Box delivery service start buying produce from me and a Food Charity started buying from me as well (She didn't like how people seemed to expect the farmers to give the food away for free so she found some Grant money and started a non profit to buy from local farms and distribute the food to people in need.) So all in all, the farm is better off than we were this time last year.

That's good news in a tough year. Glad to hear thins are going well. Stay healthy.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Mar 18th, '21, 02:31 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: On the full moon
That is an awesome, uplifting story, and it is very interesting what people expect from farmers sometimes! Especially considering all the uncertain things that farmers have to yield and adapt to on a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly basis.

And unfortunately, a lot of people these days don't have a clue of the work that goes into growing crops and everything else that goes along with it, especially for smaller farms. Some people still see the value though. Very glad to hear that!

Take care!

Barrel System
IBC System
300 gallon flood and drain system

PostPosted: Mar 18th, '21, 12:43 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: it is probable
TCLynx wrote:

It's great to hear your farm is doing okay. Last year I was contracting and my contract finished a week before the first lockdown in March. I had some cracking contracts lined up but they all just evaporated. It was pretty terrifying. Luckily I was approached by a great retail company that owns the two biggest grocery chains in New Zealand. Got offered a job during lockdown and started the week lockdown ended. Was a big relief. Still working there and it is an amazing environment. Full of caring people talking about kindness every day. 20 years in the corporate world and I was pretty jaded about corporates in general. This place has changed my outlook, for the better, in a big way.

PostPosted: Mar 18th, '21, 18:01 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Los Angeles Will wrote:
Martin. That is amazing! Zero cases! Wow! I can only imagine that!

We are down, vaccines seem to be working, at 5.2 per thousand I believe.

Hang in there guys! This can't last forever.

Hi Will, yes, the whole COVID pandemic has been handled really well here by the government. Was very smoothly done and people have been very supportive. I has been a real contrast compared to some other countries. I don't mean that in a critical way, just that it was very obvious which countries took a scientifically sound approach and were supported by their people who trusted their government to do the right thing.

Really hope the vaccine kicks in and brings those numbers down all the way for you guys up north.

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '21, 02:47 

I must say our Government here in the USA during the past year was what I would call critically BAD. I'm hoping things can start getting better here soon.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '21, 18:32 
In need of a life
In need of a life

TCLynx wrote:
I must say our Government here in the USA during the past year was what I would call critically BAD. I'm hoping things can start getting better here soon.

I also hope for a big turnaround TC. Lots of good people that deserve it.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '21, 02:42 
Legend Member
Legend Member

TCLynx wrote:

Yeah, the USA has become a reality TV series. Either grab some popcorn and enjoy the entertainment, or run away fast! Or one could invest a lifetime of service working diligently for meaningful change, only to arrive at mediocrity, division and lack of accomplishment.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '21, 07:00 

dstjohn99 wrote:
TCLynx wrote:

Yeah, the USA has become a reality TV series. Either grab some popcorn and enjoy the entertainment, or run away fast! Or one could invest a lifetime of service working diligently for meaningful change, only to arrive at mediocrity, division and lack of accomplishment.

Sigh, head down here working to supply local food. Hoping to keep politics out of business as much as possible. The Past 4 years were pretty terrifying to us at how many people seem to want to live in the "YOUR FIRED" reality TV series.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '21, 22:05 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Yes it was very bad.
I got a lot of grieve when I made masks in my business mandatory, No mask No service. Boycotts, flash mobs in the parking lot, shot window and so on.
March, April, May and June were very bad for business, even for a essential like mine, 30% loss.
Than we recovered, but the maskholes were still a problem. Had to call the cops at least twice a week.
But now we are on the way to normal. All my employees stayed healthy and we are all now vaccinated and Spring is around the corner.

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '21, 03:32 
Legend Member
Legend Member

gnoib wrote:
All my employees stayed healthy and we are all now vaccinated and Spring is around the corner.

Glad to hear it :headbang:

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '21, 21:48 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Glad to hear you all are doing well, we are too. When Spring hit I felt like possibly it wouldn't, after one let down after another. But Spring has sprung here i northern New Mexico and it feels like time to do the same; spring forward! :flower: We're both now vaccinated, and will get a chance to see our granddaughter in a year!!! :D

Hard Specs: 2600 gallon Masonry fish pond. Everything else in flux.
My life's Oxymoron: Retired workaholic :headbang: :support: :notworthy: :shifty:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105